6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 1:38 PM by efremdr88

Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?

efremdr88

Mac Mini 8GB/2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Comp settings: HDTV 1080 24. 5min video with audio, approx.22 layers.

I'm new to A/E. I created I 5minute Video with a 35sec Intro template that uses After Effects default fx's, so there's no 3rd party plug-ins. My render time reads 15hrs, 40min...RAM is using 73% of 8GB. I have no other Apps open. Is this normally the lenght it would take to render by this setting? How would I render my video in less time?

Thanks for any helpful insight.

• 1. Re: Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?
          efremdr88 Level 1

Im using AE CS5 My Render Output is MPEG4. The video after the Intro sequence is about 4minutes in mp4 format with file size of 1.02GB, I had to convert this original .mov file to a mp4 Video in Adobe Media Encoder because AE wouldn't import the mov file. -Thanks

• 2. Re: Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
            Is this normally the lenght it would take to render by this setting?

It could be, but since you didn't say which effects you actually used, it is hard to gauge. Even AE's own effects can cause massive slowdowns due to heavy processing going on. That's in particular true for temporal effects like Timewarp or memory hungry effects like Keylight. It is also true for simply using some effects with excessive settings - may not sound like much, but if you crank up a simple box blur to insane radii, it will just as much take forever to render. Also keep in mind that a Mac mini by no means is something meant for heavy compositing and its hardware is limited - it's just a notebook in a different casing more or less. So the long render times may be perfectly normal and there may be no way of bringing them down.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?
              efremdr88 Level 1

thank you for your relply. btw  the rendering that was suppose to take some 14hours...took 1hr 45 minutes...I came back from lunch and the render was completed. Now, the rendered footage looks choppy, it's completed file size is 12.2MB, and Codecs: MPEG-4 Video,AAC total bit rate 125 with a Demension of 720x480. I guess I went wrong somewhere in the output setting.

What's the best export render settings if I want HD1080 24 comp to export for view on HD TV's? And is MPEG4 video format the best to import in AE? -Thanks

• 4. Re: Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

And is MPEG4 video format the best to import in AE?

If that's what comes from your camera and AE can handle it, then there's no need to convert it to something else.

What's the best export render settings if I want HD1080 24 comp to export for view on HD TV's?

If this is just for your own perusal, then this is okay, too. Just crank up the data rates in the output module. If this needs further editing and processing, then go with visually losless compression formats such as Quicktime Animation or PNG or use image sequences (TIFF, PSD, PNG, possibly JPEG with maximum quality). Using compressed formats like MPEG for intermediates is never a good idea, as consecutive re-compression will add more and more artifacts. It is however perfectly acceptable for final delivery and playback. Depending on the target platform otehr formats may also be relevant, e.g. WMV if it is played on a PC only... Do a bit of searching on Google, you can find tons of info on these things.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

efremdr88 wrote:

What's the best export render settings if I want HD1080 24 comp to export for view on HD TV's?

Make a 1920x1080 comp with a frame rate of 23.976 fps for starters.  Your source footage should also be at 23.976. 

Now the big question: how do you propose to play this back into an HDTV set?  Got a playback device selected yet?

efremdr88 wrote:

And is MPEG4 video format the best to import in AE?

It stinks on ice.  It's a delivery and acquisition format, not an intermediate format that's best for use in AE.  If I had a choice, I'd import a file in Quicktime's PNG codec.

• 6. Re: Render time for HDTV 1080 on mac mini?
                    efremdr88 Level 1

I renedered a 30sec clip from my 5min AE 1920x1080 24 fps comp footage output to H.264 mp4 format as a test. This plays smooth with visual fx,video and sound. My first attempt to export was using the mpeg-4Video setting in the Output Module which looked made the video look choppy when played and converted the size to 720x480. Now that I'm using the H.264 Output setting, my current render time is 14hrs 39min. at 1920x1080. Not sure how this will play back on a HDTV, but at least hope to be viewable on 40-50" flat screens.Thanks for your replies.

Screen shot 2011-03-24 at 3.01.55 PM.png