3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 12:32 PM by Dave LaRonde

After Effects Color/Saturation rendering bug?

coal81

Ok so I have CS4 and I have a client who has given me the raw footage files uncompressed from a 4D camera shoot. The problem Im having is that no matter if I render my work out as a Quicktime uncompressed animation, Tiff, or Targa, when my client imports the work onto his Mac they all come out too bright and washed out.

At first I just thought it was the quicktime render cause I read that there was a bug in quicktime that reads gamma at different levels on a Mac and PC. But even rendered out as a tiff or targa? Could this perhaps be because the bug is even present on the import of the footage? I wouldnt think AE would be processing imported footage in any way except for the way it is but I cant seem to find an answer to this problem. Anyone have any clues or work arounds you have used? Please Help!!! My cleint wants to hire me for a new large commercial but only if I can find a way to make his footage not looked washed out coming out of my workflow.

Btw, im not adding any effects or color correction to the footage at all. All the effects work is done on seperate layers and the BG is locked so untouched.

• 1. Re: After Effects Color/Saturation rendering bug?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

coal81 wrote:

I have CS4 and I have a client who has given me the raw footage files uncompressed from a 4D camera shoot.

Clarify, please.

What's a 4D?  The dimension after 3D, implying that the images were shot across time, in both the past and in the future?

Could you mean 5D, as in Canon 5D Mark II, a DSLR that shoots video?  If it is a 5D, does the term "raw footage files uncompressed" mean that these are stills shot in Canon's RAW format?  Or does this mean video? 

Oh, it can't be video, because a 5D Mark II shoots highly-compressed video, but you say it's uncompressed.

I have a feeling I know what's wrong, but without accurate information it would be just a shot in the dark.

• 2. Re: After Effects Color/Saturation rendering bug?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The obvious: Your client's monitor color settings ar hopelessly mis-tweaked? Or conversely, he is using specific color profiles and calibration and you are not? Whatever it is, it is certainly not a fundamental problem in AE. At best, it may require enabling the "Match legacy Quicktime Gamma" option in the footage interpretation, but that is pretty much all there is. Or to put it simply: If the footage looks okay in any media player on your (uncalibrated) monitor, then it is okay - the Gamma will be the same as Windows bog standard Gamma plus/minus any evil tweaking you have done on your monitor and graphics card and the absence of a calibration. And the differences in Gamma between Mac and PC would not generally be a problem, either, as Quicktime or any image viewer would already compensate by relying on the system's display library. Hence, we return to the point of your client's monitor claibration (or lack thereof) being the culprit here most likely.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects Color/Saturation rendering bug?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Personally, I'm thinking in terms of two terms that just don't go together: AE 9 and H.264 video.