36 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 9:37 AM by John Nez RSS

GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

John Nez Community Member

I've been trying for a few days to convert a CS1 GoLive site to a CS5 Dreamweaver site... and nothing has worked.

I have studied about 5 online discussions for various procedures.  I downloaded the GL2DW extension and loaded that into the CS5 Dreamweaver site.  No luck.  I tried changing the names of the various GoLive folders to web-content, web-data and web-settings.  But when I go to convert I'm still asked to list the folder with my .site file... which is clearly there.  Yet it is ignored for some reason.

I next tried downloading an extension which I loaded into a folder in GoLive.  But on launch it informed me that this conversion extenstion only supports CS2 and above.

Then I tried doing as was suggested on this list in another question:

From GoLive go to Site > Convert Site to New Structure.

Then from Dreamweaver go to Site > Import GoLive Site.

But that didn't work because there is no ' Convert Site to New Structure' option in CS1 GoLive.

So... short of looking around on ebay for a copy of GoLive 9 what might anyone suggest?

It's like I fall through all the cracks here... and don't fit in anywhere.

My site is fairly simple... but I wouldn't want to hack it all out from scratch in Dreamweaver... if at all possible.

Thanks for any help.

www.johnnez.com

• 1. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
          Nini Tjäder Community Member

Did you read this http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/dreamweaver/golive_migration/content/using_gmk_extensi on.html ?

One of the things needed to get the conversion kit to work is that the sitestructure is as noted in that article as I see you did. You are in CS1 though and the migration kit wasn't done for CS1 as you noticed but only for CS2 and GL9. It works up and inluding DreamWeaver CS5 though even if the article above only mentions CS4.

What you can do is set up the site in DreamWeaver and point to GLs sitefolder. You still need to convert GoLive pecific content to DW content to make pages fully compatible with DW. How much you need to do depends on the content of your pages.

• 2. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Thanks... yes, that was one of the many pages I studied and followed.

First it didn't work as it was supposed to.

So I renamed all the folders according to the final paragraph.  I loaded the CL2DW extension into CS5 and that opens, but it won't actually work to convert or recognize the GL site.

So still I didn't have any successful results.  In the DW site conversion extension popup box, it still fails to recognize the GL site, even though it's right there as plain as day with a .site extension.

It seems like Adobe didn't think anyone would ever jump from CS1 to CS5.

That's why it feels like I don't fit and have slipped inbetween the cracks.

It's amazing how complicated all these behind the scenes site structures are...

thanks...

jn

• 3. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Here I am again, still struggling against the improved efficiency and easy as pie software of Dreamweaver.

In a previous question it was decided that it is not possible to use site migration to move one's CS1 GoLive site to CS5 using the migration plug-in.
              I spent 3 hours reading how... tried it... installed the plugin and it fails to work.

So... now I'm pointing Dreamweaver to my CS1 GoLive site.  That's fine... I guess.  It works like a DW site.

The only problem is now I cannot establish a successful connection with my godaddy server.

I have tried and retried every possible combination.  I have used all the exact same settings of no proxy, passive, ISO 8859, etc.  Nothing worksI have read the godaddy step by step.  I have changed the pointing of the Dreamweaver site to several folders.

Once again I wonder if indeed it is not possible to actually use Dreamweaver to connect with one's server, just in the same way it is impossible to connect with the Dreamweaver migration plug-in.  The .site folder is simply NOT recognized for some obscure reason?

Thanks for any speculations about this no-man's-land of trying to migrate from CS1 GoLive to CS5 Dreamweaver.

john nez

www.johnnez.com

• 4. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Did you set up the sitedefinitions in DW and then point to your sitefolder - not the sitefile from GL, that won't be recognized - but the sitecontent folder from GL which contains your index.html page?

If you renamed your GL folders according to what the migration kit would have wanted the folder in question is the one called web-content.

• 5. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Hi Nini,

I'd hope that I have done so correctly.  Yes I have pointed the DW site to the folder that contains the GoLive .site file.
                  But just as with the migration program that failed to recognize this properly structured request, I wonder if somehow the CS5 DW site I'm now trying to connect with will now refuse to recognize the .site file?

The DW site seems to have been registered on my Mac in Dreamweaver.  I can open all the site files in DW and edit things.  I can edit the settings in DW, edit the folder it points to, edit the name and edit the server settings.
                  I have used the exact same name as the GoLive site, thinking that the godaddy server will recognize it... once I get as far as connecting.

Isn't this what is meant by 'pointing' to the GoLive site?

Dreamweaver will grey out the actual .site file inside the folder, but I have repeatedly tried pointing to the folder that contains the .site file.

All without success.... very disappointing.  When I search the Adobe site for help I am overwhelmed with umpteen complicated live links, movie links, a collection of useless complicated things.  But just this basic simple thing is beyond reach.  Such is modern life I suppose...

:0)

John Nez
                  john@johnnez.com

• 6. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

The folder that contains the GoLive .site file is not the right folder. Your content is in another folder inside that folder.

What you should do in DW is this (copied from another forum):

Sites > Manage Sites >  New Site.
                    Define a local site folder and point it to your current GoLive sites folder, which is NOT the folder that contains the .site file. Look further inside that folder to find the ocntent of your site and point to that folder.

• 7. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                      MacFlashGal Community Member

You said, "The only problem is now I cannot establish a successful connection with my godaddy server."

I had the same problem and spent a ton of time with godaddy support.  They finally just suggested I use a different FTP program and told me to get FileZilla.

It works but I really want to just use the built in FTP.  BTW, GoLive, Fetch would not work either.

I'm trying to find information on migrating my GoLive CS2 files to Dreamweaver CS5 and keep hitting dead ends.  Did you find a solution to this, or has anyone reading this thread found a solution?  Any help is appreciated.

• 8. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

FYI, The site in question was not the only site I work on hosted at goddady.  I have other clients with sites there as well and I can ftp to them just fine using Dreamweaver, GoLive or Fetch.  The tech at godaddy said that maybe this site was using newer settings on a newer server.

Hope that helps if this is still any kind of an issue.

• 9. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

I'm afraid I never did find a solution.  I tried all the suggestions at the top of this thread, but still encountered the same impossibility for DW to connect with GoDaddy.  As I theorized in one of the earlier posts, I wonder if this basic disconnect is the same reason that the GL2DW extension does not work also?

But since my website is quite basic, I found I just keep using good old GoLive.  At least I already know how to use the things I need.  I noticed in learning DW that in fact it is 90% the same as GoLive for many of the basics.  It's just they have all the buttons in different places and the terms are different.  So for me there is little advantage at all in crawling up the learning curve to experience the bountiful joy of DW.  lol!

I might try your suggestions of trying a new FTP, but since I'm just a flaky artist I find myself readily bored with all the technical voodoo required.  I'd rather be creating paintings instead.

I thought I might upgrade my GoLive to the last level they made instead and just let it go at that.

I still think Adobe has failed to make it possible to migrate a GoLive site from CS1 to CS5 directly.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

• 10. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

I'm afraid I never did find a solution.  I tried all the suggestions at the top of this thread, but still encountered the same impossibility for DW to connect with GoDaddy.  As I theorized in one of the earlier posts, I wonder if this basic disconnect is the same reason that the GL2DW extension does not work also?

But since my website is quite basic, I found I just keep using good old GoLive.  At least I already know how to use the things I need.  I noticed in learning DW that in fact it is 90% the same as GoLive for many of the basics.  It's just they have all the buttons in different places and the terms are different.  So for me there is little advantage at all in crawling up the learning curve to experience the bountiful joy of DW.  lol!

I might try your suggestions of trying a new FTP, but since I'm just a flaky artist I find myself readily bored with all the technical voodoo required.  I'd rather be creating paintings instead.

I thought I might upgrade my GoLive to the last level they made instead and just let it go at that.

I still think Adobe has failed to make it possible to migrate a GoLive site from CS1 to CS5 directly.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

• 11. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                              Manne-san xxx

found that, may be it's helpful:

GoLive CS2 site

GoLive Site Folder

GoLive.site file
                              web-content folder
                              web-data folder
                              web-settings

Note also: If you created your site with GoLive CS (7) or older and then upgraded to GoLive CS2 (8) or GoLive 9, you may experience problems with the GoLive Migration Kit extension for Dreamweaver CS4. If this is the case, try renaming the following:

• Rootfolder-fd > web-content
                              • Rootfolder-fd.settings > web-settings
                              • Rootfolder-fd.data > web-data
                              • 12. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Thanks for the attempt at a solution... but I'm afraid I've already tried all those.

In fact I came accross the definitive site about this issue where the author spent days exploring the possibilities of trying to get the GL2DW conversion extension to work.  All of which failed in the event of trying to go from CS1 to DW.

In fact he discovered that even if you have a GoLive site in CS2, it won't always work.  Apperantly it only works if you build the new site from scratch in CS2 and haven't upgraded from an earlier CS1 or earlier Golive site.

I would be nice though if it worked.  Some time when I have a spare week or two I might try to rebuild my site in DW.  But until then I'm happy with plain old GoLive.

In my opinion Adobe is falling prey to the ills of bloatware... especially in their help files.  It used to be I could find an answer without first having to choose which continent I live on and then having to sort through a multi-media nightmare of confusion.

Didn't mean to get off track... but thanks for your help!

• 13. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

You might have to eventually move to DreamWeaver whether you like it or not.

Am I correct that if I upgrade to Mac OS X Lion, that GoLive will no longer work?  I've been holding on to it because it is still easier to use and more accurate than DreamWeaver.  I keep trying to use DreamWeaver but end up disappointed and go back to GoLive.  What am I missing?  The WYSWYG editor in DreamWeaver never renders my pages even close to how they look and I've resorted to only editing in source.  Any tips would be appreciated.

• 14. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Wow... I hope that GoLive still would work in Lion.  I really don't have plans to upgrade, but I hate it when software companies make our work obsolete and then leave us stranded and in a corner.

Just like scanner driver software, which is a nighmare.   Thank gosh for VueScan!

• 15. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                      Manne-san xxx Community Member

GoLive will definetly NOT work with Lion !!!

GoLive (CS2) is a PPC-Programm and since Lion there is no Rosetta anymore!

• 16. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Do you know if GoLive requires Rosetta to work?  If so, we will have to abandon GoLive if we want to stay current with the Mac OS.  Back when GoLive Cyber Studio and Dreamweaver were both beta software I tested both of them and picked GoLive's.  I really hate the fact that Adobe bought it just so they could shelf it.  As far as I can see they didn't even integrate the great features of GoLive into Dreamweaver.  You just reminded me that I need to call Cannon about my scanner.

Charlene Reese

thewebmaster@reesestudio.net

Professional Graphic Design & Marketing Strategies

for Print Media & Internet Website Development, including:

E-Commerce | CMS | E-mail Campaigns | SEO | Coordination with Social Media | Analysis of Site Statistics

• 17. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                          Manne-san xxx Community Member

Every PPC-Program need Rosetta to work on Intel-Machines.

Only Universal Binary runs on both PPC ond Intel-Macs without Rosetta.

Intel-Progs run only on Intel Machines.

Lion has no more Rosetta.

Snow-Leopard only after installation from DVD.

• 18. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                            Community Member

Manne-san xxx wrote:

...Intel-Progs run only on Intel Machines.

Lion has no more Rosetta...

Why don't we run an Intel version of GoLive CS2 on Intel machines? There is an Intel version available. 

• 19. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

I'd say it's a clear case of financially motivated obselesence. 

I have no plans of upgrading to Lion anytime soon, since I probably have half a dozen critical Rosetta based programs.

Sometimes newer is not always better!

• 20. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

@Marian There is no Intel version of GLCS2.

• 21. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                                  Community Member

I beg to differ. Here is the Intel version of GLCS2...

GLonWine.png

• 22. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Is the Win version of GoLive 64bit by any chance?

If I only own the Mac version how would I even get the Win version?

I've never heard of Wine.

Does Wine run in Lion?

This thread has been educational.

• 23. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                                      Community Member

All versions of GoLive are 32bit. But that is not a restriction for a 64bit system. 32bit apps can run on 64bit systems.

WineBottler is one way to get Wine on Mac.

MacFlashGal wrote:

...If I only own the Mac version how would I even get the Win version?...

There's the pickle. Adobe does not sell it anymore. You can grab the 30day trial from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/golive/win/cs2/ but without a GoLive for Windows serial number, you're out of luck past 30 days.

I'm actually surprised at the number of Mac users out there  as a web designer would want to test their work in the browser that most people use. That means running Windows. I just happen to have several licenses for both Mac and Windows and can float to whatever platform I want.

• 24. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Which means this is NOT a solution for a Mac only user.

• 25. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                                          Community Member

Right.  And I would not want to suggest that someone looks for a used Windows version, even one found through nefarious means. Abandonware is an odd legal issue.

• 26. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.
                                                            tis_herself Community Member

Should I take from this thread that it's NOT possible to migrate a site from GoLive CS (ver 7.0.2) to DW CS5? Because I've been trying and trying to figure out WHY the conversion feature isn't recognizing the folder containing my GL .site file - keep getting a "Please select a folder that contains your Adobe GoLive site files." Have tried the parent and daughter folders but NOTHING is working.

So does this mean that I have to RECREATE my entire website from scratch using DW? That doesn't even make sense!

• 27. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

No. Start over and read all that has been said on this subject. The basic requirement for the migration tool to work is that the GoLive site is organized in a way that the tool understands. There are also several articles about the diffrences between GoLives various features and the features in DreamWeaver. Keep looking in this forum for the links. They are in here.

• 28. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Well, I DID read the entire thread (tho' I didn't investigate each link) and my GL site is organized the way GL automatically organizes it, with the .site file in the root folder along with the 3 folders: "site" "site.data" and "site.settings"

The .site file itself is greyed out, however, when I try to use the migration tool. Not finding any direct references to why that would occur.

I should say that I'm on a Mac running SnowLeopard.

• 29. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

The migration tool doesn't use the GoLive sitefile. What you migrate is the sitefolder itself in accordance with the organization requires. Which is:

GoLive.site file
                                                                  web-content folder
                                                                  web-data folder
                                                                  web-settings

Youmight need to rename your folders. See post above from September 27th.

Links:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/dreamweaver/golive_migration/content/using_gmk_extensi on.html

http://www.biz-comm.com/gl2dw/

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/dreamweaver/articles/drwcs3ip_gol2drw.html (downlaod the pdf which it links to there).

• 30. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Thank you for all of that information. I renamed the folders and tried again without success. Will look at the links you graciously provided and try to figure it it out in the morning when my brain is functioning again. 

• 31. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Well I finally gave up after researching this issue for a week.  I'm sorry I lost the link to what I consider to be the authoritative account of this problem, but I gave up after reading the experience of one user who spent a month trying to fix it.

He concluded that it will ONLY work if you begin with a site built in CS2 (nothing earlier) and ONLY if you have built the site from CS2 and didn't update the site from an earlier version of GoLive.  I too tried renamaing all the main root folders... with no success.

Once I find a free 2 weeks, I might just try to rebuild my site from scratch.  I think just dragging and dropping the various main elements might work.  But another issue I have with Dreamweaver is that it KILLS my eyes trying to read the microscopic font size of the application text.  These fonts cannot be enlarged... so the only solution to make it readable is to change the screen resolution.   And THEN, I find that the various windows on the page become impossible to manage.

Meanwhile, I find GoLive does about everything I need.  Even though I learned all the basics of DW, I frankly don't see a big difference or improvement over GL.  They just changed the names of all the main features and moved the buttons to a different place. 

Also, I doubt if I will ever upgrade to Lion, since I understand it no longer supports Rosetta... which means that my version of GoLive wouldn't work anymore.  

I just wish that Adobe would stop with the self congratualtory advertising about how 'wonderful and easy to use' their products are... and admit it's a journey to Dante's 8th ring of He** trying to get their products to work sometimes.

:-)

• 32. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

John, I wholely sympathize with your situation as I, too, have used and loved GL for years and am disappointed that I'm now being force-fed DW if I wish to evolve my web design capabilities. I find it to be visually cluttered, not intuitive at all and not nearly as user-friendly as GoLive. Unfortunately, we are a dying breed. I just wish that Adobe would provide an easier, more straightforward way of transitioning from GL to DW ... even for us latecomers.

• 33. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

ha ha ha

I agree with you.

I'm so upset that Adobe bought GoLive and then killed it.  I still prefer it over Dreamweaver.

I'm looking into creating a Parallels virtual machine of Snow Leopard so that I can still use GoLive when I upgrade to Lion.

Has anyone had experience with doing that?

• 34. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

Hey maybe if we send out a plea to the original developers of GoLive CyberStudio to please just develop it again and then don't sell it to Adobe.

A pipe dream, I know.

• 35. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

That idea has come up before. Thing is many of those developers now work for Adobe so that is really a lost cause.

• 36. Re: GL2DW conversions... I've tried everything, but still nothing works.

I finally found the link from the guy who says he's figured out a way to make the CL2DW conversion work. 

http://www.astonisher.com/archives/ripvanwinkle4.html

First one should download the demo version of GL9.

Then using the demo version, create a new blank website and move all the content from the old GL CS site to the new folders in the new blank website made in GL9.

And then the migration tool might actually work... with just some links needing to be relinked.

Actually I see the links to download the demo version don't seem to work.

But it's an interesting theory.