4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 10:00 AM by paulhart83

The definition of base class Application was not found.

paulhart83 Level 1

Hello:

I have been coding in Flash Builder Burrito and publishing to my Xoom for a few weeks. All of a sudden at the end of the day I'm getting this compiler error which says:

1017: The definition of base class Application was not found.    AppName.mxml    /AppName/src    Unknown    Flex Problem

I sometimes hit the wrong key with I try to copy and paste and all of a sudden a new window will open for source of a default component which I never wanted to edit. I'm afraid I somehow deleted or modified the default class defnition of Application?

I don't understand why this would come out of the blue, I was working on a function within a class that was drawing points  ... Then all off a sudden I'm getting this error and it's driving me nuts.

I tried to reinstall FB Burrito on my Mac, but after all that work it still says the same thing. Wouldn't it replace the default class defs?

Please help!

• 1. Re: The definition of base class Application was not found.
          paulhart83 Level 1

I just created a brand new project and I get the following error:

Could not resolve <s:MobileApplication> to a component implementation.    Test.mxml    /Test/src    line 3    Flex Problem

I don't understand! How can a reinstall not fix this problem? I am on OSX.

• 2. Re: The definition of base class Application was not found.
            paulhart83 Level 1

Wow, some really strange behavior.

OK, so here is what I'm going through. I reinstall, import the project and compiles.

Then I uncomment the new section which contains the following code:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lineStyle(1.0,0x8ea4bf);
            var line_commands:Vector.<int> = new Vector.<int>();
            line_commands.push(GraphicsPathCommand.LINE_TO, GraphicsPathCommand.LINE_TO, GraphicsPathCommand.LINE_TO, GraphicsPathCommand.LINE_TO);

var line_coord:Vector.<Number> = new Vector.<Number>();
            line_coord.push(0,0, newW, angle, newW, (newH+angle), 0, newH);

drawPath(line_commands, line_coord);

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get 3 diffrent errors, which lead up to the error listed in the topic.

At first it says that "int" isn't a valid type and it points to this line:

var line_commands:Vector.<int> = new Vector.<int>();

Then I take int out so the line looks like this:

var line_commands:Vector = new Vector();

Then it says I can't nest classes and it points to the main MXML. I go to the main MXML then the error switches to say "The definition of base class Application was not found.".

I did figure out how to fix this with out reinstalling. I have to delete the project from my list (making sure to comment out the code above), then re-launch FB Burrito, then re-import the project and it works.

This is way nuts! I dont understand ... am I crazy?

• 3. Re: The definition of base class Application was not found.
              paulhart83 Level 1

I can trigger this bug with one line:

var cmds:Vector.<int>;

Then it says:

1046: Type was not found or was not a compile-time constant: int.

• 4. Re: The definition of base class Application was not found.
                paulhart83 Level 1

So it turns out that because I was delaring this vector in a "with" statment, that was casuing Application to no longer be a class? Oh well, stay away from with statments and vectors I guess.