15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2011 10:06 AM by LaBellina

Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64

LaBellina

I have been trying this for months and always get the same error message which is nonsense because not only is the AcroRead.msi file present in the exact folder cited but I'm installing using the 'Run as adminstrator' command. I have even reinstalled Windows recently and that still changed nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Adobe_ReaderX_failure.png

• 1. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
          VikramGaur Adobe Employee

Hello,

Uninstall if any installation session of Adobe Reader 10 present in your Programs & Features

To access Programs & Features :

Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Program & Features

Or

Click on Start -> type appwiz.cpl in start search, it will open Program & Features

Download the Adobe Reader Offline installer from this link :

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.0.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe

Once the download is complete, right click on the file and select "Run as Administrator" and run the setup

Please let me know what happens !!

Hope it helps !!

Thanks

Vikram

• 2. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
            LaBellina Level 1

Hi Vikram,

I followed your instructions but still get exactly the same error.

• 3. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
              lnayal Adobe Employee

I assume that you are launching installation via setup.exe, if not then launch installation via setup.exe

Do you have any back up software running on your PC? If yes, then disable it and then run the installation. Enable the backup software after installation is done.

• 4. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                LaBellina Level 1

Yes, I am running setup.exe. No, I do not have any backup software installed.

• 5. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                  lnayal Adobe Employee

We would need installer log to investigate issue further, you need to enable logging and then launch installer.

you can enable logging by following below steps :

To enable Windows Installer logging yourself, open the registry by typing Regedit.exe in run and hit enter and create the following path and keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
                  Reg_SZ: Logging
                  Value: voicewarmupx

when you are done with the above steps launch installer and wait for it to throw error. When it throws the error click on ok and terminate it.
                  Again go to run and type %temp% then hit enter. there you can see a txt file named as MSI---- , get that file and post it
                  • 6. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                    LaBellina Level 1

One was called MSI657a6 but contained only the following:

Error 1305.Error reading from file C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AA0000000001}\AcroRead.msi.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.
                    === Logging stopped: 29/03/2011  09:49:09 ===

There was another called AdobeSFX which had much more info:

[2011-03-29 09:48:41] Adobe SFX 10.0.0.1 logging started.
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] CommandParam CmdLine: "C:\Users\PBC\Downloads\AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe"
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] TempFolder: C:\Users\PBC\AppData\Local\Temp\
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Support folder: C:\Users\PBC\AppData\Local\Temp\28142
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Extracting: C:\Users\PBC\AppData\Local\Temp\28142\ExtractFiles.ini
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] CheckSystemRequirements os,sp = 61 0 osString = 61W6, physicalMemory (8180) = 8192
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] CheckDiskSpace...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Required size in MB:  150
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Available disk space in MB:  428602
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] IsAlreadyInstalled...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] InitDialog...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] SetupInstaller...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Extracting: C:\Users\PBC\AppData\Local\Temp\28142\ExtractFiles.bin
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Installer folder: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AA0000000001}
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] CheckDiskSpace...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Required size in MB:  116
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] Available disk space in MB:  428696
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:41] ExtractFilesFromArchive...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:50] StartInstaller...
                    [2011-03-29 09:48:50] CreateProcess cmdLine: "C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AA0000000001}\setup.exe"   /msi DISABLE_CACHE=1
                    [2011-03-29 09:49:09] Cleanup...
                    [2011-03-29 09:49:09] Program finished with exit code: 0

Does any of this help?

• 7. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                      LaBellina Level 1
                      I assume that you are launching installation via setup.exe, if not then launch installation via setup.exe

Previously I replied yes to this question but in fact the file I am launching is AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe however, that is the only file available to launch and, as far as I am aware, it is the setup.exe file. If I'm mistaken, please tell me where I can find setup.exe?

• 8. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                        lnayal Adobe Employee

can you try once extracting reader using command below and then install from the folder where reader is extracted.

AdbeRdr1000en_US.exe  -sfx_o"full path of any folder" -sfx_ne

this command will extract contents of web reader into the folder mentioned but will not start installation. After complete extraction you can start installation manually from the extracted folder by launching setup.exe

• 9. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                          LaBellina Level 1

I don't know how to use that command. I tried opening the Command Prompt and pasted in AdbeRdr1000en_US.exe  -sfx_o"C:\Users\PBC\Downloads\Adobe Reader X" -sfx_ne but it did not recognize the command.

• 10. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                            LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

In your first post the pcture shows that AcroRead.msi file already exists.

Can you just double click it and see if Reader installs? You can install a Patch from this folder later.

• 11. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                              LaBellina Level 1

Both AcroRead.MSI and setup.exe give exactly the same error message as shown in my first post.

• 12. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                                LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

It looks to me that these files do not have proper permissions to be executed by Windows Installer.

Another suggestion-

Can you create a Temporary folder on your C: drive, let's call it C:\Reader

Copy all files from {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AA0000000001} folder to this new folder and double click on AcroRead.msi

What happens?

• 13. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                                  LaBellina Level 1

Adobe_ReaderX_failure2.JPG

The same happened when I ran setup.exe as an administrator.

• 14. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                                    LeoAdobeX Adobe Employee

Ok,

Seems like we passed the first problem.

The root cause of the issue is that you do not have proper access to C:\ProgramData or it's subfolders even running as an Administrator.

Somehow permissions there got corrupted or locked by other programs.

Can you logging as a different User and try again?

It should not be too much effort to create new User (google for it if you are not sure)

The other alternative is to reset permissions on the folder in question. There are multiple instructions posted on this forum about this.

Good luck

• 15. Re: Unable to install Adobe Reader X in Win 7 x64
                                      LaBellina Level 1

I tried creating a new administrator account and then logging into that however, Acrobat Reader still would not install. It would definitely appear to be a corrupted permissions issue. Look, I want to thank you all for your assistance but I think the only solution is to once again reinstall Windows. As this is the only problem I have come across so far I will delay doing that until I encounter something really serious.