4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 8:02 AM by Adam Adamowicz

PrE, PsE and commercial use

Adam Adamowicz Level 1

Hi,

law is difficult, I don't understand all those EULAs and Paragraphs, but i want to be legal

That's why i ask here.

I can't afford PRO version of Photoshop and Premiere, so i choose the Elements version to purchase.

But there is a question: Can I use PrE and PsE forr commercial use for producing DVD-Video content and replicate to sell or for customer?

Adam

• 1. Re: PrE, PsE and commercial use
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Absolutely, Adam!

In fact, many of the people at Premiere Elements support site http://Muvipix.com are professionals.

• 2. Re: PrE, PsE and commercial use
            Adam Adamowicz Level 1

Thank You Steve.

Short answer but the only I was in hope to hear

But! (maby wrong forum for this... anyway...)

Because I am not good enough in understanding even polish language of law, I still have some doubts.

My doubts ar about replicating DVD-Video.

As we know DVD it's coded in MPEG-2 and PrE 9 EULA sais:

16.15 MPEG-2 DISTRIBUTION. The following notice applies to Software containing MPEG-2 import and
            export functionality: USE OF THIS PRODUCT OTHER THAN CONSUMER PERSONAL USE IN ANY
            MANNER THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MPEG-2 STANDARD FOR ENCODING VIDEO INFORMATION FOR
            PACKAGED MEDIA IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED WITHOUT A LICENSE UNDER APPLICABLE PATENTS IN
            THE MPEG-2 PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSE IS AVAILABLE FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. 250 STEELE
            STREET, SUITE 300 DENVER, COLORADO 80206.

So I went to MPEG-2LA site and took a glance at list of licencees as follow:

http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/M2/Pages/Licensees.aspx

and there was no replication studio that I will use.

I affraid because an answer for FAQ on MPEG-2LA says:

Q: How do I know if my DVD disc replicator or duplicator is licensed for  use of MPEG-2 technology under essential MPEG-2 patents?
            A: Content providers and others that contract for DVD Video disc replication and  duplication services have liability for patent infringement when they deal with  unlicensed replicators and duplicators. But since most DVD disc replicators and  duplicators are licensed, it is not difficult to do business with those who are  meeting their obligations. For a list of DVD Video disc replicators and  duplicators who are meeting their patent licensing obligations, please go to the  current list of MPEG-2 Licensees in Good Standing  located here.

So my short question is:

Does it mean if I deal with my replication studio that may have not any license for MPEG-2 i will break the law?

• 3. Re: PrE, PsE and commercial use
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend you contact Adobe about this, Adam. It's beyond my understanding of the law.

• 4. Re: PrE, PsE and commercial use
                Adam Adamowicz Level 1

Well I just thought to give it a try.

Law is not for artists

Thanks, case closed.