6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 8:47 AM by ECBowen

Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?

Bases Loaded Level 1

Here is the scoop:

I just took possession of a new Core I-7  system for CS5..

The tower + components alone were a little over $4,000.00..

I asked for  WD 10,000 rpm for OS, plus 3 other WD Black series 1TB drives for video work..   I told the builder to just install the OS on the Velcro 10,000 drive and leave the other drives unformatted..

I just unpacked the box, switched the system on and what do I see…

When Win- 7 was installed it created a partition on one of the other hard drives for hidden system files…

What’s with this folks: I told him to leave the other drives blank / when I asked the builder about this he said win-7 automatically does this little trick;

Will this interfere with HD access speed if the win-7 hidden files are on the same drive as my video project main files / program files or scratch disks..

Also: seems to me this could be real problems if I just want to replace one of these 7200 rpm drives and it happens to be the drive Win-7 has created a hidden partition on..

If I replace this drive then will I also have to reinstall the OS./ do not want to have to go there just to replace a storage drive.??.

Is there a better way out of this situation without wiping everything and doing a fresh install right now ?

Have not yet installed any 3rd party software or CS5 / don’t want to go there until I get this figured out..   IS there a way to have Win-7 replace those hidden files and put them on the same drive as the OS  without wiping the drives and starting over.

>>Then If I reformatt that current 7200 RPM drive with a hidden partition, this still would not remove the hidden partition part / will it ?

Should Win-7 be installed with only one HD connected, then connect the additional hard drives later ???

Thanks folks / bail me out of this situation before I install CS5

• 1. Re: Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I would simply reformat the disk with the hidden partition. You don't need it, you have the original DVD with Win7 on it. OTOH, having that partition is does impact performance in any measurable way, but may be a bother if you decide to (parity) raid those three disks.

If you decide to reinstall Win7, leave the three disks unattached and Win7 will automatically create a hidden partition on your C: drive with a size of around 100 MB that will not be used so will not impact performance or wear-and-tear.

• 2. Re: Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?
            Bases Loaded Level 1

Thanks Harm:

I figured you might be out there in the right time zone to sync with me here on the Canadian west coast at 440am.  Pulling another all nighter.

That’s what’s I was thinking if that partition was left here and I decided to change discs or do a raid..  Seems I was told that win-7 will not let me delete or erase that hidden partition / true  or false ?

Probably best all around to just do a clean install with only one hard drive connected..

What a bummer, was looking forward to getting this thing up and running this evening yet here I am searching for clues in the wee hours of the morning.

Seems like trouble follows me around, always something screwing up when I buy something new.. 

Bought another Antec 1200 case for this setup as I alread have one and like it..

Wouldn't you know, the new since last year version no longer has an eSata port on the front, they put 3 USB ports there instead.

2 USB2 and 1 USB3, totally nuts IMO / why not just 1 USB2 One USB3 and 1 eSata.. I need that front mounted eSata port for external backup drive connect.

Just about to make a decision on a new camera when this thing In Japan happens.. A lot of distributor are out of stock, prices going up and do I really want a camera which might have high radio active content, I hear the Canon & Sony plants are not far from there..

What a mess..

Any other wise tips as far as installing Win-7 goes / it will be strictly a system for video work with production premium CS5 / nothing else..

All the best / thanks for being there !

• 3. Re: Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

It says Vista, but also applies to Win7: Adobe Forums: Guide for installing and tuning a Vista...

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... it has been 10 months since I built my computer (see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 for info) but don't remember that Win7 tried to create a hidden partition... just checked, and nothing on any of my 3 drives that I did not put there

Also, making step-by-step backups as you install is a VERY good idea... so you should buy software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new install or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work
                This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)
                The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything
                Please note that I own no part of Image, and I don't get a referral fee (that is just a plain web link) but I use the program and it has saved me a LOT of trouble when I had a hard drive die... and I was able to restore everything and not have to re-install or re-activate a single program, from Windows on up

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?
                  Bases Loaded Level 1

Hello John T

Sorry  for the slow comeback & thanks for the info.

Actually I usually use Acronis true image.

Have made backups with that program but have never had to restore from one of their backups so far so I cqan not comment on how well it works  

I was always a big Powerquest Drive image  fan but they were bought out by the competition and shut down. Norton I believe did that one / not a Ghost fan here.  Drive Image was as smooth as butter and just worked as advertised.

Anyway:

What’s the scoop on the backup imaging feature in Win-7, looks like that should do the job.

Do you or anyone else have any feedback with that windows utility, I am running a backup image with this right now before installing Acronis True Image which is kind of a complicated interface..

There Finally we have CS5 running in 64 bit but there seems to be so many issues with Win-7 64 bit with software utilities.

Just deciding which program to go with to burn DVD & Blue Ray disks is a nightmare..

Even Microsoft office does not fully support Win-7 64 bit, powerpoint has a few issues..

No 64 bit flash player either ?

What a mess, & they call this progress, ho ho.

• 6. Re: Win-7 Install issue-Help Please?
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Windows 7 install by default creates a 100Meg partition that includes the BCD boot manager and other boot files. This was suppose to make it easier to recover from boot problems into the  OS. However this partition often causes issues with imaging software. Windows 7 will put that partition on any available drive with out a partition when you install it. You have to install Windows with all partitions created ahead of time  to stop the installer from creating that partition. If you delete that partition then the OS wont boot anymore until you regenerate the BCD files on the OS drive. You  can do that but it takes using the command console and some commands.

Office installs and runs in Win 7 64 fine as far as we have seen. However it is recommended to install the 32bit version of office instead of the 64bit. Many 3rd party applications will not integrate with office if you dont.

Eric

ADK