• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Audition: No Supported Audio Device?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I recently bought a new laptop. It has Windows 7, 64-bit installed on it. All my programs installed just fine, except Adobe Audition 3. I install the program, and the first time I open it, it opens just fine. I can even open an audio file it. Then, I close it and the next time I try to open it, it states:

"Adobe Audition could not find a supported audio device".

I tried installing the 3.0.1 patch; nothing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling; nothing. I've been running it in Windows Vista SP1 and Windows XP modes; nothing! This is driving me crazy!

I have a Realtek High Definition Audio sound card installed and enabled, driver version 6.0.1.6098.

I don't know what to do anymore, there must be some fix to this. It's driving me crazy and I'm sad because I bought this program when I still had Windows Vista thinking I could use it on my next computer.

TOPICS
Audio hardware

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an Audition problem - as the software is telling you, your audio device driver is installed in a way that means that Audition simply can't see it. You probably need to reinstall it, but it's also worth checking whether there's a new driver available. The other thing you should do is go to Edit>Audio Hardware Setup and make sure that it's not just listed and unselected - although this is pretty unlikely. With your internal device it's the Audition 3 Windows Sound driver you should be using.

If none of this resolves it, then download and install the (free) ASIO4ALL driver, and see if that can find your device. Whilst this replicates what the Audition Windows driver does, it provides rather better diagnostics if you look at the advanced settings, so you might get a better idea of what isn't happening correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open the Windows 7 Control Panel and go to the audio area. Make sure you have whatever parts of the Realtek inputs and outputs enabled and working.

2. Check that if you are using anything that needs to be plugged in, such as an external mic or Line In, that it is plugged in to the socket on the laptop. This sorts out the jack sensing.

3. Make sure that there is not another Realtek Control Panel separate from the Windows one. If there is, check that it is set similarly to the Windows settings. The two can become disengaged.

4. Only then start Audition, check it's using Audition Windows Sound and hit the Audition button to check that Audition Windows Sound is set to the right input.

It's all a mess, a Windows 7 mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wild_Duck wrote:

It's all a mess, a Windows 7 mess.

Which is, of course, why I will not use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 29, 2011 Mar 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this just happened to me last night too.  I'm running Audition 3.0.1 with the Amplitude Statistics patch on my old P4 machine running XP Home Edition with a Layla 24/96 card.  Nothing had changed as far as Audition or the Echo card driver.  I had been using both just fine for years.

But then last night Audition had trouble using my default outputs on the sound card.  I would receive a message stating that the audio device driver was being used by something else and wasn't available.  I closed Audition, double-checked that there was nothing else running in the background or foreground, started Audition again, and this time, during start-up, I received the same message as the OP - Audition could not find a supported audio device.  Because Audition couldn't find a supported audio device, it wouldn't finish booting up so there was no way to check the audio hardware setup of the program.

The Layla card was still the default audio device for the computer.

The onboard Realtek card was still disabled, as it has been for years.

The Layla card was still passing audio just fine with other applications.

A reinstallation of the Echo Layla driver did nothing to correct the situation.

The only thing that corrected this issue was a complete reinstallation of Audition, so that is what I recommend to the OP. To the OP, you don't have to deactivate when you reinstall since you are just installing it back on the same computer.

I also have Audition on my laptop, which is running XP Media Center.  Audition is running just fine on it, even with the latest Windows updates.

It might be a Windows update issue.  I say that because there are times when my XP Home Edition gets different updates than the XP Media Center edition.  There might have been some blanket, under-the-hood update that Windows did for certain editions from XP through Windows 7 that might have affected Audition.  I'm just guessing at this point, but with so few factors the same between my desktop and the OP's machine the update thing could be the only common factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Windows Sounds turned off in Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel. Windows can sometimes grab the audio driver when it wants to play a warning "ding" or whatever. It may also change the sample rate which will also affect Audition. Usually going to Windows Sounds and Audio Devices and reinstating your default playback device may be sufficient to get Audition booting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about the OP, but I've had Windows Sounds turned off for years.  I checked that last night when I had the problem and they are still turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking 'cos I've had Windows surreptitiously turn them back on for no apparent reason. Could have been a Windows update though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is my suspicion as well.

I've reinstalled Audition, including the 3.0.1 patch, and all seems to be well so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstallation was a primary fix in the old days when I knew nothing about this software.  It's good that reactivation isn't part of the drill now that I know no more about it.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one problem with this suggestion. you cannot even open the app to do the thing suggested. if it cannot find the hardware it simply closes. it will not allow anyone to access settings, let alone do anything else. believe me, i've tried. editing configs, registries-- nothing.... nothing works. updating windows, updating drivers, removing / replacing drivers. nothing. any suggestion so far on this site has not once solved it. ASIO is completely horrid and lags so bad that the sound driver crashes. every dang time. causes a BSOD. i've used ASIO and it causes HUGE problems and especially for laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i WILL switch to audacity if i have to in order to avoid this problem, but i don't really like it, and ProTools causes drive meltdowns because hard drives cant keep up with such heavy burdens that it breaks drives... its happened to my friends a couple times. the computer was a freaking beast, too but could not handle it. tells you how heavy ProTools really is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cyberkeeper1 wrote:

ASIO is completely horrid and lags so bad that the sound driver crashes. every dang time. causes a BSOD. i've used ASIO and it causes HUGE problems and especially for laptops.

In that case there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with your laptop, almost certainly at a fundamental level with the OS, as ASIO bypasses most of it completely. The whole purpose of ASIO is that it achieves the complete opposite of what you are experiencing - latency is as low as it can be got if it's working correctly - which it does with the vast majority of devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One problem though... Nothing wrong with my laptop... fresh install of windows 8.1 64 bit, new SSD, proper realtek HD audio drivers for my laptop (version 2.67 for windows 7/8/8.1). I already covered all my bases because I'm a computer tech / Network engineer. It is the program not supporting hardware when it should. Everything else on my computer works. Everything. Even things that are considered too old still work. ASIO confirmed buggy on 5 different computers of mine and they all have different hardware. 2 of them had some nice creative x-fi cards. I KNOW its not hardware. Those cards are expensive as all get out and work well. They even have their own subprocessor.

I do nothing but sound and video all day long on the side for a very long time and I never could get aa3 working except sometimes in XP when it was willing. ProTools and Audacity do see the sound cards fine. 5 different boxes with the same result does not a good case may for your statement, unfortunately. Thats my experience, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your experience seems to be untypical of most peoples. However Audition can only work with the audio streams that Windows sends it. Built in Realtek soundcards don't have any ASIO drivers so Audition 3 had to use an MME to ASIO plugin to use non ASIO driver devices. Did you try ASIO4All as an alternative to Audition's built in driver? It quite often works better and is more configurable as well as offering some internal debugging features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just come in the door from doing sound playback in a theatre full of several hundred people.  I'll be doing this for the next ten days or so.  All my playback is from a Lenovo Win 7 laptop via an M Audio interface using ASIO drivers.  Believe me, I wouldn't risk it if the ASIO I use wasn't rock solid.

I also spent the last few weeks working 8-10 hours per day preparing the sound with a different interface but, again, with ASIO drivers.  They never missed a beat in the 80 or so hours of time I've spent in front of my DAW computer.

ASIO is the industry standard for professional audio applications and, in my experience, Audition works happily with it.  If you are having such problems with ASIO I strongly suggest you take it up with your audio interface provider because clearly their drivers for Windows 8 are faulty.

With the utmost respect, Realtek make crappy built in cards designed for watching films and making Skype calls.  As you have discovered, they (and their drivers) aren't suitable for any serious audio work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, same "solution"...and I had techs from Focusrite, Sweetwater, Presonus, and several other techs take a look; they tried ASIO4ALL, tried other dfrivers, tried everything they could think of...I even sent my interface in to see if that was somehow the probkem, but it's back...and works fine for Studio 1 and RX Editor...but can't keep Audition working without doing the uninstall/repair thing and rebooting. Has ANYONE found a solution to this recently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cyberkeeper1 wrote:

proper realtek HD audio drivers for my laptop (version 2.67 for windows 7/8/8.1).

Well there you go - there are no ASIO drivers for that, and like the others have said, built-in Realtek's not exactly a classy option. We don't have problems like this because we use devices that generally cost at least as much as the software costs, or often more. And with proper hardware comes proper drivers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem, but not convinced it's Win 7 at fault.

My workaround is to record with Roxio Sound Editor, export as a wav, then use Audition to edit that. Bit of a pain, but it works. With Roxio, you just select the sound source, adjust the levels, and hit Record; that's it; no need to mess around with device drivers etc.

BTW, the problem isn't confined to Win 7; I have the same problem using a USB sound card with Win XP. Same workaround.

You could also give Audacity a try. I believe there is a beta that works with Win7.

There's a lot of good info on these forums, but blaming Windows 7 sounds like a cop out when other software works without any hassles at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cjg4157 wrote:

There's a lot of good info on these forums, but blaming Windows 7 sounds like a cop out when other software works without any hassles at all.

You can't blame any one aspect of anything particularly - but Windows 7 64-bit has known issues somewhat randomly with Audition, which wasn't designed to work with it. This isn't a cop-out - it's based on past experience with other OSs, which have all had problems at least until a service-pack or two have been released. In some cases (Windows ME and Vista specifically) they've never really worked properly with audio at all, and people have pretty much given up on them. It's rather a shame that W7 seems to be based on as much on faulty ideas from Vista as anything, which is why, for instance, that it's not at all straightforward to record internet audio with it - the RIAA specifically wanted M$ to make this difficult as a so-called anti-piracy measure.

But also you invariably have difficulties with any audio device that doesn't have a sensible ASIO driver - in other words, pretty much any on-board one - relies on either Audition's Windows Sound driver, or ASIO4ALL to work, and if this isn't configured correctly then you get problems too. Especially when, as part of the aforementioned anti-piracy, M$ appears to only licence drivers that have some facilities disabled, to all intents and purposes. It appears to be the case that if you can find unlicenced drivers for your audio hardware, you are more likely to be able to actually use it...

But primarily we blame W7/64 for things simply because there have been so many complaints from so many people about using Audition using it. And these are, by and large, people who had no particular problems with it before. And there simply isn't smoke without fire.

It still remains true, at the end of the day, that if you want to use Audition for any sort of commercial purpose and not lose clients, you should use it with XP. Using it with a relatively immature OS is tantamount to voluntary parachute jumping - which could be sensibly described as 'jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to SteveG's post, I am using Windows 7/64 pretty successfully with Audition these days, but only after becoming aware of potential problems and working with and around them.

The problems include:

1. Windows 7 does hidden sample rate conversion and this is very likely to occur when alternating between audio for video and normal audio files. XP had 4 options for sample rate conversion quality, see

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff538617%28v=VS.85%29.aspx

These options do not exist in Windows 7 and Microsoft have acknowledged that there is a problem with conversion quality.

2. There is a problem with at least some ATI/AMD South Bridge mainboard drivers which caused USB audio problems on my W7/64 laptop. This is not addressed by a standard Win 7 installation, or by the USB driver on the manufacturer's website. Installing a recent version "USB Filter" from the ATI site does cure the problem. When the fault was there, it showed up some really odd bugsin the Windows 7 audio control panel software.

3. There are problems with some soundcards, possibly any with "multi-client" drivers, in that they give unsupported sample rate error messages. This can be overcome by disabling soundcard options in the Windows 7 audio control panel.

4. Some parts of the Windows 7 audio panels are labelled misleadingly. For example switching off audio effects switches off the scroll bars in the audio effects selection area, but can leave hidden effects enabled.

Individually, these are minor problems, but they did not exist in XP.  Audition's main strength has been the way it has always conformed as closely as possible to established professional audio standards, yet had an interface that allowed professional non-technical users to grasp its basic operation fairly quickly while learning about its advanced features. Where the OS interferes with this needs to be flagged up rather than just accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2012 Dec 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks - the posters are all right they may just be missing ONE critical componant.  One that solved it for me.  I was actually trying to install AA3 on a Windows 7 64 bit box and getting the error.  Turning off Windows sounds through the control panel didn't do it (setting it to "no sounds").  BECAUSE I also didn't turn off the damn check box that said "Play Windows Startup sound"  Once I ALSO unchecked that, AA3 started up fine.  Wow.

Now - to be clear, I had just also installed the ASIO4all driver - but I hadn't done ANYTHING with it - I had JUST run the installer.  NO reboot, no driver change, NOTHING.  So there's a small chance all 3 of those need to be done.  But try those first 2 first.  I'm a Senior IT tech and I'm fairly certain it was the first two because ofthe 22khz thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an answer here, but the extension of the question:

A year ago, I got two identical Dells, one at work and one at home. They are Windows 7, 64-bit.

I installed Adobe Audition CS6 on both.

Neither copy of Audition could see a sound card for record purposes - I thought the card wouldn't work.

I made phone calls and some tech from Adobe took over my machine and clicked around. After that the sound card worked just fine.

Now, I'm trying to make Audition recognize and use the card at work - same model of computer, same version of Audition. I've tried the settings on the Windows side and the Audition side - no luck. Windows believes the card is fine.

I know Audition can use the Realtek card in the Dell computer. But how? Something mysterious needs to be re-set. What?

- Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little more info required... exactly which Realtek card is it? And does it have an up-to-date ASIO driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Windows record panel in Control Panel/Sound, right click and make sure that Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices boxes are ticked to make that you can see all available audio inputs.

ScreenHunter_10 Apr. 11 17.33.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines