11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 3:05 PM by able123

Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export

Robert_WF

I am having the following issue in Premiere Pro CS5.

I have an image sequence with alpha placed over some film footage. The sequence is supposed to blend with the real footage.

To do so, I have adjusted the sequence with a few effect filters.

The filer setup is as follows:

- levels
      - shadow/highlight
      - fast color corrector
      - levels (this one is added later for just a little bit extra control)

In the program monitor it looks great, and the preview render on the timeline looks good. However, after exporting the media, the effect filters seem gone, or at least different from what it is supposed to be.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Thank you,

Robert

• 1. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you have Hardware MPE active, try software MPE.  Hardware MPE (and

Maximum Render Quality in software MPE) renders using linear

color/linear light, which can have unexpected effects on certain fades

and glows.  The theory is explained here:

Linear Light

-Jeff

In the program monitor it looks great, and the preview render on the

timeline looks good. However, after exporting the media, the effect

filters seem gone, or at least different from what it is supposed to

be.

• 2. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
            Robert_WF Level 1

Thanks Jeff, I will try that solution and hopefully that solves the different results..

• 3. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
              Robert_WF Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I guess I'm a noob when it comes to these technical settings.

From what I understand, MPE is a hardware rendering solution (using the graphics card). But I have no clue where to look for these settings to check whether or not these settings are correct at the moment.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                Colin Brougham Level 6

No, the Mercury Playback Engine is part of Premiere, regardless of hardware. There are certain functions that are accelerated by the proper hardware, e.g. a qualified GPU, but you're always using MPE.

In hardware MPE mode (aka GPU accelerated rendering), light and color are processed a bit differently; this can be especially apparent when dealing with alpha channel footage. It sounds like, since you didn't know where to look for hardware MPE, you're not using hardware MPE, but the setting is found in Project > Project Settings > General, under the Video Rendering and Playback area. If it's set to "GPU Accelerated" change it to "Software."

• 5. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                  Robert_WF Level 1

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the issue is not solved yet. Like Colin expected, it's already set to software (The option "GPU Accelerated" is disabled).

Some specs:

- It's an 720p24 project

- the overlay is an PNG sequence with alpha

In the export render settings "Use Maximum Render Quality" was selected. But deselecting it, gave the same result.

In "Sequence settings", the option "Maximum Render Quality" is also selected. What's the difference for these 2? Is it worth a try to deselect this option aswell?

Any thoughts of what it could be?

(if helpfull, I will try to post some screenshots of the problem)

Thanks

• 6. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                    Level 4

-------------

the overlay is an PNG sequence with alpha

-----------------

png is indexed color I think... and  you want to use RGB...you can try to convert the png stuff using photoshop to RGB ( under image / mode ) and save as psd ( if necessary create new psd files with transparent background ) that match the png dimensions and copy / paste the png images into the psd file and make sure the psd file mode is RGB ...??

I never used png so maybe someone else knows more about this conversion process ?

ps, index color is 256 colors only...rgb will give you more colors and also video is rgb and this could be why the export isnt showing up right

• 7. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                      Level 4

I just double checked using photoshop...png can also be RGB...( can be indexed too )...maybe just double check that your png is RGB...

• 8. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                        Robert_WF Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but I work a lot with PNG and the format shouldn't be the problem (or at least it's not indexed).

PNG is used a lot for 3D render exports, because of the lossless format and high color depth, with file size comparable with JPG..

It's strange that everything looks good in preview on the timeline. And that's the only reference I can use to match the film footage with the PNG sequence.

• 9. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

To what format and codec are you exporting?

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                            cvid01 Level 4

Just a thought: I noticed that you have the shadow/highlight effect. Sometimes, especially if it uses the auto setting, the shadow/highlight effect can cause problems; at least, this is what I read some time ago in this forum. Maybe others can shed some light on this as well. Perhaps export the sequence without the shadow/highlight effect and see if you still get jitter.

• 11. Re: Effects: Level settings not rendered correctly in export
                              Level 4

-----------

Thanks for the reply, but I  work a lot with PNG and the format shouldn't be the problem (or at  least it's not indexed).

PNG is used a lot for 3D  render exports, because of the lossless format and high color depth,  with file size comparable with JPG..

-----------

hmmm, thats interesting. thanks for info....I use maya unlimited and export for still sequence usually tif or psd...have to check next time and see if png is an option...   youre sure of course about the settings on the 3d export I suppose re: specs of files created...

I've also heard that "auto" shouldnt be on when using shadow / highlight...

I dont much like using 2 'levels' things myself...would rather have 1 ( go back to original and tweak instead of adding another )... somehow stacking things in specific order gets a bit whacky

good luck !