3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 12:43 AM by blipstation

CS3 audio channel problem when importing to CS5

blipstation

I have an HD P2 file-based project which I edited on CS3 which I now need to open in CS5. The P2 footage does not import and I get the following message:

'The selected file cannot be linked because it has 1 audio channel(s) and the clip has 2 audio channel(s)'

I tried importing the project instead of opening it and I get the same message.

I have also tried to offline all the material and see if I can re-link them. Unfortunately I cannot re-link the bin footage as I renamed them all to something meaningful for organisational purposes (eg 'Bill_says_hello' ) as opposed to the rather random naming of P2 files (such as 000R4X.mxf) so I don't know what bin file links with what P2 file, and there are about 2000 of them!

So either there is a way to view the original names of the bin files so I can match them up, or better still,  another easier way to retrieve them or open them up automatically.

Without a solution to this, I have just lost months of work so any pointers would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: CS3 audio channel problem when importing to CS5
          blipstation Level 1

Found out a way to find the unmangled name: just click the Display Only Exact Name Match tick box in the Link Media dialog box.

Any way, I wonder of doing this as a batch process?

• 2. Re: CS3 audio channel problem when importing to CS5
            Jim_Simon Level 8

The only way I know of to batch relink is when the project first opens and PP asks "Where is this file?"  Typically PP will find all clips in that folder, and only ask again if there are other clips in other folders.

Once you get past that opening procedure ask, I don't know of a way to do it other than one by one.

• 3. Re: CS3 audio channel problem when importing to CS5
              blipstation Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion, Simon.

But finding to the first missing file brings up that message about the number of audio channels available which is still puzzling me, andthen  making me link to them one by one. Not only is it tedious but I know it was stereo before and now it's mono !

I am sure when we recorded it our excellent sound guy would not made it mono so for some reason CS5 is not recognising the full gamut of sound channels recorded. So I am losing a lot of the sound, which is not good to say the least. I may have to start a new thread as to discover why.