6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 2:11 PM by reteb

1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?

reteb

Assuming that Harm's Guidelines in the row " 4 disks recommendations " should read  as " D " or " E and F " ( and not " D or E " and "F " ) I wonder which choice to make with 2 x 300 GB Raptors 10K in RAID 0 : should I config the RAID in D or in E+F ?

What difference(s) does the choices make compared to each other ?

Am I right in assuming that only 2 x R0 does not need a non mobo hardware controller, even no " real one '"  e.g. Areca ?

What is, on the average,  the expected RAID 0 I/O speed loss ( in one array for 2x R0 or for 4x R0 ) caused by the mobo controller and Intel software compared to the theoretical 200 % ?

After how many RAID 0 disks in one array a hardware controller ( the real ones and the cheap $ 100-150 ones ) starts to show a significant speed advantage over the mobo /software RAID 0 controller ?

Thanks for explanation.

• 1. Re: 1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Assuming that Harm's Guidelines in the row " 4 disks recommendations " should read  as " D " or " E and F " ( and not " D or E " and "F " ) I wonder which choice to make with 2 x 300 GB Raptors 10K in RAID 0 : should I config the RAID in D or in E+F ?

What difference(s) does the choices make compared to each other ?

It is meant to be read as: "D and F" or "E and F".

Am I right in assuming that only 2 x R0 does not need a non mobo hardware controller, even no " real one '"  e.g. Areca ?

Correct.

What is, on the average,  the expected RAID 0 I/O speed loss ( in one array for 2x R0 or for 4x R0 ) caused by the mobo controller and Intel software compared to the theoretical 200 % ?

Almost n x 100%. With n = 2, you would end up with 190 - 200%, with n = 4, you would end up with 380 - 400%.

After how many RAID 0 disks in one array a hardware controller ( the real ones and the cheap $ 100-150 ones ) starts to show a significant speed advantage over the mobo /software RAID 0 controller ?

Raid0 hardly uses any resources. The benefit of a hardware raid controller shows with parity raids, and parity raids show their benefit in added security.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?
            reteb Level 1

Harm,

Thanks, very clear.

One more thing : what difference(s) does (do) D+F make compared to and E+F ?

Doesn't the D+F be preferred since the projects files are then in the R0 array ?

When should I opt for D+F and when for E+F ? 

• 3. Re: 1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no single rule for this. It depends on your projects. Take two extremes:

1. Long form documentary, lots of long clips, few transitions or effects and I would choose D and F.

2. Short music clips, numerous multicam situations, many tracks, lots of effects and I would choose E and F.

It depends on the nature of your project and what it entails for the disk usage. So no clear answer, unfortunately.

I hope you can understand my reassoning and can benefit from it.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?
                reteb Level 1

Yes, this very helpful, thanks.

I opt for D+F. with 10k Raptors.

My mobo permits one more separate R0 array, should I prefer C or E ?

• 5. Re: 1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It is not advised to raid the boot disk, so the answer is E, but the question is with what other drive?

• 6. Re: 1.Harm's Guideline for Disk Usage 2. Hardware RAID controller yes or no ?
                    reteb Level 1

I have 12 SATA ports : 6 SATAII for Intel(R)ICH10R RAID 0 ( I will only use RAID 0 ) for D+F.

And 6 more SATA3 ports, 2 of them could be configured for Marvell 9128 RAID 0 for E ( and the remaining 4 ports as non RAID Marvell 9120 , 1 of them as eSATA ).

As trials I used  the SATAII RAID 0 and the SATA3 Marvell RAID 0 separately of each other, each satisfactorily ( backups as Acronis images, separately to be stored in my safe,  out of and into the frontside backplane SATA HDD's bays.)

I am told they could be used together and this weekend I give it a try.