10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2015 4:18 AM by maralbjo

Imported video File goes offline and missing

EricWB Level 1

I am just getting up and running on CS5. I plug my Sony PDW F350 camera in, and IMPORT the mxf files. They show up in the bin. On the bottom right of Premiere Pro the files each get a yellow bar - initializing them (cant think of the right word.) I can play back the video file - while the camera is hooked up - although it is slow and no audio?

Then as soon as I unplug the camera - the files go OFFLINE - and I cannot find them. Why? Where are they?

That is my main question. Also, I would like to set the directory path of the Video Files to a separate Video drive - is that the Scratch Drive?

One more - when I export a file - I did not see the directory path to set... Its got to be somewhere - where I can tell it where to be exported to.

But my main question I need now... is why are my video files going offline as soon as I unplug the camera.

Any help will be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
          jeremy d. Level 3

The clips are still on the camera -- you'll need to transfer them to your hard drive.

• 2. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
            shooternz Level 6

As J said ...also..

When the files are in the Project bin, it is only a reference to point to the location of the files (clips) .

They need to be on a local disc location.  (Not your C: Drive BTW)

Hope you dont regret picking your username and have to type it in anywhere to often!

:-)

• 3. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
              EricWB Level 1

Update.

Every external data device that I try to import from  a separate camera, or a CD - goes off line when I disconnect the camera, or take out the CD.

Why is this? Obviously it is simple. But I was under the assumption that when I IMPORT video or a file - the file is IMPORTED... just like in any other application.

What am I missing. How do I rectifiy this? Do I need to do a two step solution - import into a separate folder on computer, then import again into PPro?

Is there a setting in PPro that I can import directly and designate the destination path (as it should work.)

Thanks for any specific directions and help.

EB

• 4. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                cvid01 Level 4

I believe you want to capture not import video if using tape. Use the help file on how to capture video. Or, transfer your video files from your camera to your hard drive if using flash or drive media.

• 5. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

EricWB wrote:

Update.

Every external data device that I try to import from  a separate camera, or a CD - goes off line when I disconnect the camera, or take out the CD.

Yes that is correct.

As Jeremy said you need to transfer the data from the camera to the hard drive of your computer first. Then you import the footage from your hard drive into Premiere. This way it will not go off-line.

• 6. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                    EricWB Level 1

I am a bit flabbergasted.

I actually need to import twice?

First from any CD / or camera video file into the computer.

Second from the computer into Adobe?

I use AVID at work and it is a simple one step process. IMPORT file means import file. Period. I have never ever seen any application that says "import" and does not actually import the file - complete and ready for use. Wow.

I also need to look up the Path directory directions...because I didn't see that choice.

Somebody please tell me this two step import process is wrong... and that there's a setting somewhere to import in one step - to a directory path. Seriously.

• 7. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                      joe bloe premiere Level 5

No difference.

If you import a media file into AVID or Premiere, the software creates

a link to a media file that resides on a hard disk, either internal or external.

If you remove that disk, the link to the media file is broken and the software

can not find it either in AVID or Premiere or any other NLE.

You are using your camera as an external hard drive.

Try doing the same thing on an AVID, you will get the same result... missing media.

• 8. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                        EricWB Level 1

I completely understand that there is actual media files and then links to those files. I am quite familiar with that.

But that is not my question, nor is that the problem.

When I click on IMPORT file - that should mean import file. In AVID it may ask for a directory path (as does any file import in any application.) You can decide where to import the file to - then...

Premiere Pro will link to it.

What I am hearing is that I need to import it twice: One time into the hard drive where PPro can always access it....where it "lives." (Not on my camera disk, or not on a CD.)

Then I have to again import it into Premiere Pro project.

That is a two step process.

It should be a one step process. Hit Import / Set directory path where I want the media to live. Just as any other file is imported in any other application...if I am not mistaken.

I am not trying to come across aggitated. I am just a bit surprised. I have had an older version of PPro and could import files in one step I believe. I still think there is a setting somewhere I am missing. Can anyone tell me if this is wrong and I can set a directory path for media files? I have to look harder perhaps. Thanks!

• 9. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                          jeremy d. Level 3
                          What I am hearing is that I need to import it twice: One time into the hard drive where PPro can always access it....where it "lives." (Not on my camera disk, or not on a CD.)

You are not importing it twice. First you are copying the media from a removable drive (the camera) to an internal media drive, then you are importing it into Premiere. That is typical workflow for this device.

In any importing situation in Premiere, the user is not moving any media. The clips are accessed right where they are, so when you delete the files or eject the disk, Premiere is left wondering where they went. I believe you discovered this already.

If we were importing and copying files to a disk simultaneously, you'd be waiting instead of editing.

I am not trying to come across aggitated. I am just a bit surprised. I have had an older version of PPro and could import files in one step I believe. I still think there is a setting somewhere I am missing. Can anyone tell me if this is wrong and I can set a directory path for media files? I have to look harder perhaps. Thanks!

Don't worry about sounding agitated.

In older versions of Premiere, this workflow wasn't available yet, so the only place to find media files was on a drive (or by capturing, which writes the files to your drive at the location of your choice). If you imported the media from a removable drive, you'd see the same behavior you have right now.

There is not a place to set a path for imported media, since that concept doesn't really exist in Premiere. It is possible to choose paths for captured footage, preview and media files.

• 10. Re: Imported video File goes offline and missing
                            maralbjo Level 1

EricWB, did you eventually find a solution to the tedious two-step process?