1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2011 4:17 PM by thebestcpu

Actions and creating different orientations/layers/sizes from a single file - is it worth it?

Kjeinafets

Hi there!

I know this is the scripting forum - but this topic seemed more appropriate here than in PS Mac general.

Im a graphic designer for a company that  builds a ton of apps - apps for many different kinds of phones, tablets,  and set-top boxes. For each new app that comes in I need to create a  package of graphics that includes banners, icons, and bootscreens that  currently totals 60 images per package. The time consuming thing is  that, since every package requires different branding/number or  layers/images/orientation - I end up adjusting & resizing them all  myself. I've gotten pretty good at it and it takes about an hour and 15  per package but I'd love to automate it so I can work on other things.

I've  experimented with actions in the past but since each package is  different, theres always something that ends up needing to be tweaked in  almost every image. Granted I haven't given a ton of time to  experimentation, after the 2nd or 3rd recording of actions it looks like  it's not working out and I need to move on to something more pressing. I  don't want to spend more time fixing things than it would take to  resize them myself. I've thought about grouping things in folders with  names actions can recognize no matter which package I'm working on, but  then again it seems like I run into trouble with things being wrong when  adding/removing layers and saving from portrait to landscape to icon to  banner.

The big question here is: is it even worth  it for me to keep experimenting with actions when I've already gotten  so quick resizing them myself? Is there anything automation can speed up  in this case?

Sorry if there's an obvious answer I'm  missing - every article I can find in my research is about simple batch  photo resizing and the like. I'd just like to finally put this question  of automation to rest, or find a way to speed this up.

I'm using Photoshop CS5 12.0.2 on Mac OS 10.6.6

Thanks! Really sorry if this is a silly question - my last question on the forums ended up being stupidly easy.

• 1. Re: Actions and creating different orientations/layers/sizes from a single file - is it worth it?
          thebestcpu Level 1

The big question here is:is it even worth  it for me to keep experimenting with actions when I've already gotten  so quick resizing them myself? Is there anything automation can speed up  in this case?

I think there are two questions here:

1) Would script/action automation be a good business investment for the job you mentioned

2) Should you be the one that creates that automation

For #1, you did not provide enough information to answer the question.  Here is one approach.   Take the number of hours in a year that you spend doing this work for your company. Multiply that by your equivablent hourly rate.  That is how much the company is spending now to get the job done per year.  If the cost of putting a piece of automation in place is substantially smaller than that then it is a good business decision assuming that either a) your time can be spent creating other valuable work for the company or b) the company can reduce your hours and spend less money ( I bet your not liking option b ).

For #2 (which actually feeds into #1), is what would be the least expensive way to implement a script/action to do this automation.  You have only considered doing it yourself.  The work could be contracted out as well.   Sounds like the amount of time for you to come up with a solution is pretty unpredictable which means having someone with more experience in this area may be able to do the job with higher predictability.   I am sure the job could be hired out and they could probably give you an estimate on how much it would cost  once they understood the the customer requirements.  One thing to keep in mind is support for whatever automation work is done.  If you do not know how to maintain a script, then over time when no doubt enhancements are needed or you evolve to PS CS6 more work may be needed.  So you would want someone that is realiable and would be around in the future ideally.

All IMHO.