16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2011 9:31 AM by Jean Pierre Bottazzoli

Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?

Dad From Minnie Level 1

Greetings. I have editted of AVCHD video shot from a Sony Camcorder (HDR-CX550 shot at HD HQ mode (9M)) in Premiere Pro CS5. Frame rate is 29.97 fps, at 1440 x 1080 (1.33) . My subjects are hockey players, so there is a lot of natural contrast in the video (white ice and dark unifroms). I believe a major contributing factor is that I have significanly slowed these shots down so that I can do a side-by-side analysis of skating form. The output has horizontal lines distorting edges (see bottom)

I suspected that the problem was interlacing artifacts, but when I play with Blending, De-interlacing, Removing Flicker (options in the Field Options), the problem isn't removed, and sometimes the output is made worse. The problem  is most pronounced after making the output file (DVD Standard is shown).

Do you have any ideas one  why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Thanks much!

VideoLines.png

• 1. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

That is definitely a problem with interlacing. See this page for information about deinterlacing.

• 2. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
            Dad From Minnie Level 1

Todd. I think you are right. My issue may not be with Premiere Pro. It

looks  perfect in Premiere Pro, but when I create a DVD in encore, it gives

me the results show in that screen shot. When playing around in Premiere

Pro, I changed the sequence option from "Display First Field" to "Display

Both Fields" and the quality immediately degraded in Premiere Pro to the bad

quality in the screen shot.

Is Premiere Pro compensating for the Interlacing, but Encore is not?

Do you know if there is some option or setting in Encore that would allow me

to create the crystal clear output, the same as what I am seeing in Premiere

Pro?

Thanks.  Tim

• 3. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please don't double-post. It'll just confuse everyone, including those who visit here later.  You've been told that the artifacts you are seeing are a result of interlaced source footage.  It's not an Encore-specific issue, nor is it Premiere-specific.  You can go further in-depth on what exactly you want your audience to be able to see and do with the video from Pr to get more advice on how to proceed.  I deleted your Encore topic.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                Dad From Minnie Level 1

Sorry about the double post. I wasn't sure the audience would be right when

I start going down a path that isn't really about Premiere Pro... Tim

• 5. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                  Dad From Minnie Level 1

Thanks, Todd. I read the linked-to information and I think you are right. However, I didn't really see an answer in there as to  how to avoid this problem, although I may have missed it.

I am hoping for a clarification for  how to resolve this when burning DVD's (and Blu Ray) disks.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Describe your process of getting the HD video into Encore for SD DVD authoring.

• 7. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?

Hi Tim,

I also would like to know how you intend for your audience to use this DVD/BD.  Will they sit back and enjoy it on their new HDTV?   Will they watch it on their old NTSC CRT television?  Will they play it on their computers to go frame-by-frame to analyze skating techniques?

If all they'll do is watch, then you need to keep your interlaced video interlaced, and keep the field order intact.  If you need this to be analyzed, then you may want to consider deinterlacing the video.  However, most HDTVs, and most software DVD players can deinterlace the video on playback so that frame-by-frame looks good even if the video on the DVD is interlaced.

If you can achieve what you need without deinterlacing the video in Pr (including export from Pr) then I recommend leaving things as they are and just burn the DVDs.  Same for BD.

-Jeff

• 8. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                        Dad From Minnie Level 1
                        • 9. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                          Dad From Minnie Level 1

Hi Jeff: Like most real-world projects, the viewers would use a variety of devices: Big screen HDTV, medium TV (NTSC definitely, CRT maybe), and a computer.

Frame by frame analysis to a degree... They will be able to see much by virtue of the slow-motion speed; and they will, more than likely, want to stop  the clip at certain spots to allow a closer look...

This is frustrating because I have left it as interlaced, and it appears very clear in  Premiere Pro, but when I cut the DVD, that is where I see the problems... I understand there may be technical reasons as to why, but it seems like if I can see it nicely in Premiere Pro, I should be able to also see it nicely in the DVD/Blu-Ray (which is why I thought there must be some setting I was missing that  caused the problem, either in Premiere Pro or Encore).

Is the answer, then, that in order to slow it down adequately, I need it de-interlaced... or, I need to  actually use a video camera that can take slow-motion clips (60p rather than 60i?)?

I looked at some of your videos (on your website), Jeff, and clearly, you are a man who knows a lot about this topic, so I do look forward to your input.

Thanks.

• 10. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?

Small steps first:

it seems like if I can see it nicely in Premiere Pro, I should be able to also see it nicely in the DVD/Blu-Ray
                            • How is your Program Monitor set to display timeline content: first field, second field or both fields?  If it's not set to both fields, then you won't see any interlacing artifacts because only one field is displayed at a time.  You mentioned changing this setting earlier, so you should understand why the artifacts appear/disappear when the setting is changed.
                            • How are you viewing the finished DVD/BD when you see the artifacts?  Are you using an HDTV?  Are you using a software DVD player on your computer?  Or are you just using a media player?

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                              Dad From Minnie Level 1

Jeff: The Program Monitor is set to First Field.  When I switched it to

Both, that is when I saw the problems, as you noted.

I seem the artifacts on DVD and BD versions on HDTV.

I see the artifacts on my PC when using Media Player.

I see the artifacts on my PC when I run using  CyberLink PowerDVD. Checked

its configuration and found an option called Smart De-Interlacing Mode,

which had the Perform de-interlacing option checked. When I unchecked that,

the interlacing became MUCH worse, so I believe both  Media Player and

CyberLink PowerDVD are both doing something  to avoid some degree of

interlace artifacts.

Thanks. Tim

• 12. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

My guess is that your troubles start somewhere in those 2 steps.

Suggestions:

• Leave the Sony software completely out of the process.
                                • That camera doesn't shoot AVCHD.  It shoots MPEG-4 using H.264/AVC.  There is a real and significant difference between the two.
                                • Determine for sure whether you have 1920x1080 or 1440x1080 footage.  The camera specs say 1920x1080.
                                • Import the clips via the Pr Media Browser.
                                • Make sure Pr sees the clips as 1920x1080/60i.
                                • Drag a clip to the New Item icon at the bottom of the project panel to create a proper sequence that matches the clip's properties.

-Jeff

• 13. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                                  Dad From Minnie Level 1

Jeff: The Sony HDR-CX550 does shoot AVCHD... At least, that's what the

labeling on the device says, and so does the documentation that came with

it.  If I look at the properties of one of the imported .m2ts files (via

PMB), it shows Type of File as AVCHD Video (m2ts).

The footage I have in my current project is 1440x1080 (1.333); it is

unaltered, as far as I can tell, other than it was transferred from the

camcorder to the PC via Sony's PMB (if that altered it... not sure).

I am not sure I can leave Sony's PMB software out of it... How else do I get

the video out of the camcorder? Are you saying that Premiere Pro has the

capability to extract video files directly from the camcorder?

I have used both the Media Browser and direct import into the Project and

there doesn't seem to be any difference in the video.

The reason I believe the problem came after the import into Premiere Pro is

because Premiere Pro can seem to replay the video  fine, which makes me

believe the problem is downstream (workflow-wise) from the retrieval from

the camcorder and importation into Premiere Pro.

Thanks. Tim

• 14. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?

M2TS files are not AVCHD.  True AVCHD files have MTS extensions.  It's possible that the PMB software is converting the AVCHD video to Blu-ray video streams, which do have an M2TS file extension.  It may do that to make the files "play back friendly" for Blu-ray players.

If the camera does record true AVCHD, then the memory card/flash memory will have a folder called PRIVATE that has all of the bits and pieces needed for AVCHD video.  Just copy the PRIVATE folder from your memory card/flash memory to your hard drive.  Then use the Media Browser in Pr to navigate to the copied PRIVATE folder.  As soon as you do that, all of the clips will magically appear in the Media Browser; import the AVCHD video into your project.

It may seem like I'm splitting hairs here, but there's no way to know exactly what the PMB software is doing to the video before it gets to Pr.  That's why I think it's so important to eliminate the PMB software from the process.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                                      Dad From Minnie Level 1

Unfortunately, for this particular footage, I have already deleted it from

my camcorder and cannot get to it. However, using your suggestion, I was

able to find the MTS (non-container) avchd files. I didn't find it in the

Private folder, though... My MTS files were in the AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM folders

in the camera.

I will experiment with footage to see if when I slow it down it makes any

difference in the DVD.

One other thing I noticed. When I created an MPG (export/media) from

Premiere Pro (same settings as source file) against my original .m2ts files,

the resulting file does show some artifacts when viewed locally using

Windows Media Player. However, when I load the same file to YouTube, the

artifacts disappear and it looks very good, even full screen during the very

slow-motion parts (e.g. 44 seconds into the clip, slow motion, straight

away).

The following link will show what I mean:  http://youtu.be/XIYjxPYkzhM

It seems like what I play these clips on is key... so, how do I get

that better quality (removing the artifacts), when creating a DVD... It

seems like the pieces are there, or the  youtube clip wouldn't look

better...

Thanks so much for sharing your insight. Tim

• 16. Re: Why am I getting Horizontal Lines in CS5 Output and How to Fix?
                                        Jean Pierre Bottazzoli Level 1

Good Day Jeff,

It's out of subject, but thanks for the informations about Sony Content Manger and .MTS .m2ts file extensions.

Regards, JPB