6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 10:18 PM by lisagfc

Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks

lisagfc

trying to insert an animated gif into a Fireworks page. anyone know the best (most efficient) method for doing this is? haven't been able to find any good tutorials or info on this yet. ~L

• 1. Re: Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks
          Jim_Babbage Level 4

Can you give us an idea of why you would be doing this in the first place? Typically, an animated GIF would be added to a web page, not a Fireworks design. FW is where the GIF gets made.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks
            lisagfc Level 1

hi Jim, yes it is a web page that was designed in FW, which will be having clickable custom menus w/hotspots, but just want to import some (already made) animated gifs into the page. i read they are imported as symbols is part of the process but still haven't totally figured it out. thanks!

• 3. Re: Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks
              Jim_Babbage Level 4

A completed final web page/site is not generally the goal of Fireworks, but that said, you can try simply importing the GIF file itself. FW should prompt you to add additional states to the page.

It can also be done by importing an animation symbol, assuming you've already converted the file to a symbol.

I have an old article on Community MX that covers GIF animations in a lot of detail.

http://www.communitymx.com/abstract.cfm?cid=0B633

In terms of this specific tutorial, the main things that have really changed are:

• the interface has gotten nicer since Fireworks MX (I think I wrote it for MX)
              • "frames" are now called "states"
              • Alien Skin Eye Candy is no longer part of the Fireworks package

The GIF format hasn't changed so the concepts revolving around optimization are still the same.

HTH

• 4. Re: Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks
                lisagfc Level 1

okay cool will check it out and play around with it, thanks! ~L

• 5. Re: Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks
                  Percy O.

Hi,

Usually you design and create animated GIF in Fireworks and export them into Dreamweaver or any other html program. You can open animated GIF in fireworks and edit the speed, loop and export them again. I hope this help.

Percy Ordonez

Adobe Certified Educator

http://www.adobetec.com

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Inserting Animated Gifs Fireworks
                    lisagfc Level 1

Percy thanks, in this case the web page is being designed like a list, with clickable hotspot links, sort of based on this process...http://goo.gl/a0Yj

Only it includes canvas, lists, header, etc. and just want to be able to import/insert already created graphics and animated gifs into the page. The page list will need to be modified/updated regularly and with animated gifs that's a lot of layers to mess with, so just trying to get the most efficient process down for doing this. If there's not a simple "do xyz" to accomplish this yet then I think that would be a great addition for future versions, as it could potentially have other useful applications. Maybe it can be done still playing around with the added info you guys provided.