1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 19, 2007 8:46 AM by triviaguy

Flex Web Services + Hibernate Problems

Tr0ubl3m3k@
      I was trying to use flex web services to connect to a java back end. i was successfully able to retrieve data from the database which is by the way connected through hibernate. When i try to add a record to the database i am encountering a problem. Because of the xml created by the web service i cannot add a record with inputting a value for the ID property of my record. This ID property is an auto incremented value so as you can see this is an undesired result. Is there anyone that has successfully incorporated Flex + hibernate and if so can you help with the present problem. In addition could any also help to explain why i get a "nan" error when i try to pass a Typed Object to the Web Service.
        • 1. Re: Flex Web Services + Hibernate Problems
          triviaguy
          The first problem you need to deal with is the "NaN" problem. The problem is caused by the fact that in Flex, a Number has no concept of null, so when you send the object with an uninitialized ID, Flex sends "NaN" to represent the uninitialized Number. You can't use int either because it can't be null, and you need the ID to be null on the Java side to do the initiail insert.

The solution is to use the "*" data type. For example "var id:*;". When data comes back from a web service, the id will be replaced by a Number or int holding a value which won't cause future problems. When you create a new object to send to a save, you'll never set an ID, so it will remain null when it is sent to the web service.

This will be the least of your problems using Hibernate with Web Services. There are 2 other problems you'll have to deal with if you ever want to hold a collection of child objects in a Hibernate object:
          1) If you use lazy loading (which is reccommended), you'll get Lazy Loading exceptions when you try to serialize the object because of the proxy set Hibernate uses.
          2) If the association is bidirectional (also reccommended), you'll have circular reference problems.

Both of these issues have solutions, but it can get messy. My solution was to detect ininitialized "PersistentSet" objects and replace with null, and to set children's parent references to null before serializing the object. I then have to put it all back together whem an object comes in. Just omething to keep in mind when doing the data modelling.

Hope this helps.

Steve