3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 10:01 AM by Chris W. Griffith

Clickable tabs that control Scroll Bar

joshkemp

Ok, so here's something I really want to do but am not exactly sure how to pull it off.

On my Portfolio site: http://www.joshkempdesigns.com

I've got a scroll bar that allows a user to sift through my work. What I want, along the left site of the content area, are tabs that say "Home, About, Photography, etc..." and I want the user to be able to click one of these tabs and have the scroll bar "slide" the content to that desired area.

I think this is possible, bt I must be trying things entirely wrong, because I want the user to be able to se the scroll bar at any time as well as quickly have the slider move to a section if they'd rather click a tab.

Any suggestions?

Josh

• 1. Re: Clickable tabs that control Scroll Bar
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

From within Flash Catalyst, the answer is unfortunately no. However, you can add this functionality with Flash Builder. I built a demo in Flash Catalyst 1.0, so instead of a tab bar, I have 3 buttons that jump to different app icons in the list.

The core of the code is two lines: setting the selectedIndex of the list (apps.selectedIndex = 3;). Note the list has an id of 'apps'. And setting  apps.ensureIndexIsVisible(3); That line will cause the list to jump to that index. That is all you need to get the base functionality working

You might something a little visually appealing, so take a look at this post:

http://graphics-geek.blogspot.com/2009/12/video-programmatic-scrolling-animation.html to add in some nice animation.

Hope this helps,

Chris

• 2. Re: Clickable tabs that control Scroll Bar
            joshkemp Level 1

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate all of your insight. While Flash Catalyst is a

really cool program and has a lot of potential, it seems that there are a

lot of things that should be considered simple that are unavailable for

those looking to use Catalyst only.

I'm hoping, like other Adobe products, that this program turns into

something even more amazing in the future.

Thanks again.

Josh

• 3. Re: Clickable tabs that control Scroll Bar
              Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

I think it will ;). You must also remember what Flash Catalyst's role is in the ecosystem. It's main goal is to help create UIs and interactions for use in Flash Builder, so at some point it will be easier and smarter to have the functionality be done in Flash Builder. It has a lot of power to do a lot of things without 'code', but at some point it will hit it's limits.

Chris