3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 3:41 PM by topelovely

Looking for the best way to output a project.

AdeptDigital Level 2

Hello all,

I have a project in Catalyst that I have imported to Builder to enable deep linking.  The tutorials I followed to do this were very helpful but stopped just short of outlining the best way to output the file from Builder to post online.  I could just grab the files from the extraction folder and put them onto the server hoping for the best (and I will try that) but I am looking for a publish to web function in Builder like the one in Catalyst that will automate or streamline this process.  Does such a function exist?

I am looking to get this monster done in the next couple of days so if anyone has a thought please pass it on.

Thanks,

Brett

• 1. Re: Looking for the best way to output a project.
          topelovely Level 4

Hi Just BE to me it seems what you want to do is to pubish a release build. Please find below how to go about it:

Creating a release build

The version of the application that’s created in your output folder, and that you run during the
          testing and debugging phase of development, is the “debug” version of the application. This compiled
          SWF file is significantly larger than the version you’ll ultimately deploy for your users,
          because it contains additional internal information that’s used only during debugging.

To create a release build of a Flex Web application, follow these steps:
          1. From the Flash Builder menu, choose Project ➪ Export Release Build, or File ➪
          Export ➪ Release Build.
          2. In the Export Release Build dialog box, make these choices:
          a. Select the application you want to export.
          b. Indicate whether you want to enable the View Source feature.
          c. Select a folder to which you want to export the release build.
          3. Click Finish to export the release build.

A release build folder contains only a single application and its supporting files. In contrast, the bin-debug
          folder contains the debug versions of all applications in a project

Testing the release build
          You can test the release build of a Flex Web application by opening its HTML wrapper file in a
          Web browser. Here’s how:
          1. From the Package Explorer view, open the release build folder and locate the HTML
          wrapper file. This file has the same name as the application itself, but has a .html file
          extension.
          2. Right-click the HTML file, and choose Open With ➪ Web Browser.

I hope it helps.

• 2. Re: Looking for the best way to output a project.
            AdeptDigital Level 2

Thanks,

This does look like it.  Very cool.

Brett

• 3. Re: Looking for the best way to output a project.
              topelovely Level 4

You are welcome. One day I'll be like you.