5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2011 1:21 PM by bangs and thumps

What is the work flow of a James Bond opening sequence?

avpromedia Level 1

A normal movie would be first scripted, then raw footage shot, then edited.

A James Bond style opening sequence is more like a SFX editor's imagination run wild, so I'm guessing it is not scripted.

But if there is no script, then how do they know what raw footage to shoot for the editor?

• 1. Re: What is the work flow of a James Bond opening sequence?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Plan.

Storyboard.

Design tests/stylistic tests.

Music choice.

Revise storyboard.

Shoot footage.

Post production.

• 3. Re: What is the work flow of a James Bond opening sequence?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any AE project requires some planning. The more elements that are involved, the greater the level of planning. I just recently completed a project that involved 3D modeling, client supplied video to be used as a texture, and AE for final composite. We didn't draw any storyboards, but we did look at a bunch of similar animations and make a fist full of notes. If I were to attempt a James Bond style open I'd be sketching out storyboards, looking at every James Bond open that I could find, looking at every similar movie or TV show open that I could find, and brainstorming with colleagues, and working out a production timeline and budget. There's nothing worse than shooting some footage without a plan then trying to bend it into an concept that just doesn't fit.

I suspect you wanted a to do list. Well here it is.

1. Write a script for your open including all the elements that must be there

2. Turn the script into a storyboard

3. Block out the required shots so that they will work with your concept (IOW shoot your greenscreen footage with the same lens angle of view that you're going to use for the 3D camera in AE so that the perspectives match)

4. Do some tests in AE using at least shape layers for the elements

5. Make sure that you have all the tools you need (IOW plug-ins, cameras, lights, skills, music, sound effects)

6. Shoot what you've put on the storyboard

7. Shoot some extra footage

8. Start laying out the elements

9. Render out some motion tests

10. Refine, Refine, Refine

11. Wait a day or two

12. Final polish and render

Hope this helps.

• 4. Re: What is the work flow of a James Bond opening sequence?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

A James Bond style opening sequence is more like a SFX editor's imagination run wild, so I'm guessing it is not scripted.

No such thing. Even 15 second commercials are storyboarded and scripted, artists do moodboards for developing a color palette, complex techniques may require previz and FX tests. Just like on movies, execution is just the final step. As Lao Tse already said: "Wars are won or lost long before the battle begins" (paraphrased) and that is just that...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: What is the work flow of a James Bond opening sequence?
                bangs and thumps

I'm with the twelve step thing. But a JB open ? Isn't that what they have second unit directors for?It's action packed and a mini story in itself before the story for real starts.

Also  these days there is often an element of product placement that has to be factored in and catered for.My favourite open was the saint, now that was a real signature, and always climaxed with someone saying his name, that set the scene completely for what you were going to get.Clint eastwood films often had signatures and motifs (the lighting of the cigar, and the spitting at the dog that would have to slope off) but not always at the start.Toy story was a good open, and before that of course someone won an oscar for a film about a tin lamp.Another good opener is the tv series doctor who.Oh, and Brucie, nice to see ya, to see ya nice......