6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 10:34 AM by erikdenhouter

Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635

erikdenhouter

Hi, I have a problem updating Adobe Reader 9.4.2. to version 9.4.3

Direct after starting the update I receive the installer error:

"1635 This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

I have tried this MS fix (MicrosoftFixit50123.msi) but it did not help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187/en

I must say that a few days ago I also had an issue updating Adobe FlashPlayer. It would tell me at boot there was an update available, and after giving it the OK it started downloading, and installing, but although the installing gave no errors at all, both the FlashPlayers for Internet Explorer and Firefox were NOT updated, and only after a lot of these 'fake' updates I noticed it because a following update for Firefox told me my FlashPlayer was out of date while I saw FlashPlayer update that same morning.
      Downloading and un-installing/re-installing both FlashPlayers did the trick...  But now, a few days later another Adobe product has a problem updating.

I have not yet re-installed the reader, but since I have seen it work for 4 years, and since it MAY be related to Adobe Flash, I would like to see if someone can shine some light on this issue first.

I work with Windows XP Prof completely updated ( except... Adobe Reader).

Thanks.

Edit:

Meanwhile i have tried to uninstall Adobe Reader, but the same error persist.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try emptying your temporary file folders.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635
            erikdenhouter Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I emptied the TEMP folder this morning, but no change.

I assume it is an error in the registry because the uninstall triggers exact the same error, while starting the patch-file (update to version 9.4.3) starts another file as when I invoke an uninstall. In the latter an already existing executable on my system will be used trough the uninstall string from the registry.

I have tried the two different files seperately starting them trough the context menu, first the downloaded update:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Reader\9.4\ARM\AdbeRdrUpd943_all_incr.msp

and then the installer file in the Adobe folder:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Setup Files\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1043-7B44-A94000000001}\AdbeRdr940_nl_NL.msi

In both cases the same 1635 error occurs.

I have found a solution for version 8:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400924.html

but the registry keys involved are different, so I am still in the dark what to do.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi,

Looks like a case of correupted registries to me. Can you have a look at the following KB article.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/852/cpsid_85258.html

Talks about how to fix different error messages including Error 1635.

Hope this helps.

Ankit

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635
                erikdenhouter Level 1

Thanks Ankit_Jain, but no luck, the advise for the error 1635 there is what I tried as I wrote in my first post, a Microsoft fix that didn't help.

Strange idea that I cannot remove the program from my system, and at the same time unable to update.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635
                  Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hmmm.. Sounds strange indeed.

Can you try and remove the application via the Microsoft Cleanup Utility. Although its no longer supported by Microsoft, it has proven to be useful to uninstall a stubborn app!!

You can download the same from:
                  http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html

Once you have the product uninstalled you can install Reader 940 from:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.4.0/en_US/AdbeRdr940_en_US.msi

and then update to later versions by doing a Help > Check for Updates.

Hope this works

Ankit

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Adobe Reader 9, Installer error 1635
                    erikdenhouter Level 1

As far as I can see the problem is solved.

You gave me the tip for the Windows Cleanup Utility, but the support for the program has stopped because some removals did damage to other installs. So I had some second thoughts about it.
                    But your idea brought me another, to use the Revo Uninstaller.
                    http://www.revouninstaller.com/

* Made a system restore point
                    * Downloaded Revo uninstaller Pro 30 day trial, but full version.
                    * Run Revo ( ! Adobe Reader 9 had 664 registry keys with 902 values...)
                    * Needed a reboot to remove last files from the Adobe reader 9.
                    * Roughly checked if other Adobe products still run...
                    * Downloaded and installed Adobe Reader X  ( ? X ? It is version 10.0.1 after updating)
                    * Did an update of Reader X
                    * Needed reboot after update.

Ankit_Jain, the link you gave for the Reader 9 download is an US version, but I needed a Dutch (NL) version. That's why I searched for the Reader on the Adobe site, but came on the Reader X page. I thought the X stands for 'the latest version'. But it is not.
                    So I have a functioning reader back, with one difference:  it is not Reader 9, but Reader X . I really don't know what the difference is, but what I do know is that the install takes quite a long time, and, if you don't uncheck the box on the site for the (free) McAfee scanner, it will also install that.

I will try what I have for now, and if I may find other problems around it I will surely report back.

Thanks all for your reactions