Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

To open a project already under version in RoboHelp for the first time

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2007 Jun 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

In RH html help it is mentioned that first time when you open your project in the new version (I have RH v6) which was created in the old version of RH (in my case it was created in RH x3) the project is converted to the new project file type (.xpj) and the old project file (.mpj) is deleted.

So far, I have done the first step and project is converted to the new project file type (.xpj) but the old file type (.mpj) is still there – is it might be because it was read only.

My greater concern is the next step which is mentioned in the Help, my supervisor doesn’t agree with that which is ‘Add the project back to version control in a different folder than the original .mpj project file. Somehow, he doesn’t agree with that and I am really not sure if there is going to be any impact for not doing that because currently in Windows explorer I can see both the project file types – one with the .mpj and the other one with the .xpj. And also, I am not sure if the huge difference in size of both the file types is a concern (old mpj file size is coming 544 KB & the new xpj file size is coming only 3KB). Please, give me your feedback.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have discovered, one of the differences between the two versions is the .MPJ file that is converted into an .XPJ file. I'd always take a copy before upgrading anything but once you have upgraded and tested everything works OK there is no need for the backup. It sounds like you didn't take a backup if you have new/old files side by side. Personnaly I'd take a backup of what you currently have and then run the unused files report. This should list the files you no longer need. As far as checking in the files into version control you only need to check in what is actually used therefore the unused files report is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Trying to clarify here. Colum is mostly right.

When an older project is opened in X5 or 6, the .MPJ file isn't really "Converted". What happens is that an XML file bearing the same name as the project but having the extension .XPJ is created along with a slew of other files. The former .MPJ file is then updated and renamed by changing its file extension. The .MPJ extension is renamed to .CPD. I could be wrong in my assumption of course, but I've always thought .CPD meant "Cache Project Database".

Cheers and happy Thursday all! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Dear Column,

I am sorry, but i am still not clear if I should still be seeing the .mpj project file after opening the mpj file type project in RH v6 or is it the reason i am seeing because the time i opened the mpj project file in V6 it wasn't checked out and that's why it was not deleted OR whether it should had been deleted or not, i am not sure.

And why is the huge difference in the size of both the file types?

Thanks for your patience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp