5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2011 5:22 PM by OnHold2Long

Play back DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’

OnHold2Long

I created a DVD-Video structure under "Share - DVD - Burn to folder"

This created a parent_folder with two subfolders:

·         OpenDVD

·         Video_TS

I can play back the DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’ by navigating to the Video_TS folder and selecting any of the .VOB files.

It seems that the ‘WD TV live plus’ looks for .VOB files and presents any folder that contains one.

I am trying to create a simple way for my parents (in their late 70s) to navigate and open our home videos.

Is there a way to create a .VOB file that would open/point to another /.VOB file in a subfolder?

For example:

Parent_Folder/1988.VOB opens Parent_Folder/1988/Video_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB

·         Parent_Folder

o        1988.VOB

o        1989.VOB

o        1990.VOB

o        1988 (Folder)

§         OpenDVD

§         Video_TS

·         VTS_01_0.VOB

·         VTS_01_1.VOB

·         VTS_01_2.VOB

o        1989 (Folder)

§         OpenDVD

§         Video_TS

·         VTS_01_0.VOB

·         VTS_01_1.VOB

·         VTS_01_2.VOB

o        1990 (Folder)

§         OpenDVD

§         Video_TS

·         VTS_01_0.VOB

·         VTS_01_1.VOB

·         VTS_01_2.VOB

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 1. Re: Play back DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should not choose the option to open individual files with your DVD player software. You should select the option to open a folder -- and then just navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder.

In fact, if you were to burn these files to a DVD disc, that's what you'd burn -- the VIDEO_TS folder with the VOBs inside. The folder is what your DVD player looks for on a disc, and it's the only way it will launch the entire DVD menu structure rather than the individual videos.

• 2. Re: Play back DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’
            OnHold2Long Level 1

Steve,

My apologies on starting a second thread - had replied by email and got a “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" message.  I am new to posting on forums.

The WD TV Live HD Media Player I am using allows video stored on a USB drive to be viewed on a TV.  Adobe premiere has worked like a charm allowing me to capture video from DV and mini DV cassettes, adding menus and sharing to DVD. 

The Western Digital media player does not have an option to open a folder – it does list the VOB files individually. 

When I open any of the individual VOB files the DVD does play properly opening at the main menu. 

In a way I am trying to provide my own ‘open folder’ option. 

[PS - WD is less than helpful]

• 3. Re: Play back DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’

So your parents are going to play your vide on the WD Media Player? That wasn't clear.

If so, rather than burning DVD files, you'd be much better off using one of the video formats the player plays.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

I'd recommend using Share/Computer/WMV at full 640x480 resolution.(That's standard resolution which I assumed you were working with since you created DVD files.)

If your video is hi-def, you should use Share/Computer/MOV using 1920x1080 H.264.

• 4. Re: Play back DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’
                OnHold2Long Level 1

Steve,

"No good deed goes unpunished"

Bought the parents a flat screen and thought I could hook on the WD TV Live

HD Media Player with an external drive and brighten there day.

I followed your recommendation using Share/Computer/WMV at full 640x480

resolution to no avail.

These are the supported file formats per the WD TV Live HD Media Player

documentation. 

Video -- MPEG1/2/4, WMV9, AVI (MPEG4, Xvid, AVC), H.264, MKV, MOV (MPEG4,

H.264), MT2S, TP, TRP, TS, MP4, ASF, VOB (unprotected or unencrypted)

MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 support up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps,

1280x720p 60fps resolution.

FLV file extensions are supported (using a video codec of H.264/MPEG-4 AVC

and an Audio codec of FLV only) in the latest firmware version for all of

the above devices besides the WD TV HD Media Player (Gen 2).

RMVB videos from Real Media are not supported. You will need to use

conversion software to convert them to a supported format.

The WD TV Live HD Media Player only supports certain types of codecs based

on the extension of your file. You can check the User Manual for a list of

supported codecs for each file extension.

I am trying to preserve the menus I added so I do need a DVD format.

Any other suggestions?

• 5. Re: Play back DVD using ‘WD TV live plus’

I don't know that it's going to be possible to save your menu system without actually burning a DVD, OnHold.

Although you can try WebDVD ,which will create your menu system as FLV files. But I can't guarantee that device will be able to read the menu structure.

If the menu structure is so important,why not just burn them a DVD?

It would certainly simplify things if you just output a DVD disc or you output a non-menu video in one of the device's standard file formats.