6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 7:07 AM by bogiesan

After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?

DigitalSoju Level 1

I just did some major upgrading on my computer parts:

Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (Sandy Bridge, 4 cores 8 way multitask processing, hyper threading)

Asus p67 Sabertooth mobo

Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

16 GB of RAM

I tried a video that took forever to render before I upgraded my stem, this tutorial form video copilot:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/light_glow/

From start to finish, this takes 2:15 seconds to load after I hit the space bar for this 5 second clip. I think it was barely loading at 1 frame per second. I was expecting much better performance than this.

Ram preview takes 1:41

Are my settings wrong?

I thought I had the necessary components checked:

(previews)

-Enable open GL

----Enable adaptive resolution with openGL

-----Accelerate effects using open GL (when possible)

(memory and multiprocessing)

-Installed RAM: 16 GB

-RAM Available for AE: 13 GB

-Render multiple frames simultaneously

-----Installed CPUs (processor cores): 8

-----CPUs reserved for other applications: 0

-----RAM allocation per background CPU - 0.75 GB

-----Actual CPUs that will be used: 8

• 1. Re: After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you're using OpenGL for rendering previews, then you aren't using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. I'd turn off Enable OpenGL in the Previews preferences.

Also, you need to reseve more CPUs for other software and otherwise change your memory & multprocessing settings. See this page for recommendations.

Be sure to read the pages that it links to, especially the one about overscheduling your processors.

• 2. Re: After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?
            bogiesan Level 4

OpenGL? I use it only for previews. That may not be right, I've never understood OpenGL and the Mac just hasn't ever really like the concept at a gut level.

What size is this project?

What codecs are used in the media?

What codec are you using to output?

Those are more interesting questions than your OS or CPU data which only amount to incremental, if tanglible at all, improvements in processing.

Wait a few more hours for the power users and wonks to check in, you can safely ignore my questions.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?
              DigitalSoju Level 1

I tried the first step:

installed RAM / GB 

RAM To Leave For Other Applications / GB 

Minimum Allocation Per CPU / GB

And got 0 performance increase. Still took 1:40 for RAM preview.

Minimum Allocation Per CPU / GB = RAM allocation per background CPU in After Effects right?

About to try the other settings after I read them.

EDIT:

-Turned off OpenGL for previews, still slowww

-Tried changing CPUs used for other applications to 4 and no difference. Still about 1:40

• 4. Re: After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm honestly not sure what you expect... There is quite some processing going on and it's run through a series of pre-comps. With MP on, each instance will have to run the same steps, so in effect it may not at al lbe more efficient than rendering it on a single core/ processor. furthermore, the efficiency of each individual core may be just as high or low as your previous processor and any benefits would only show up in properly threaded operations where multiple cores are used to work on teh same stuff. In fact you may prevent some of such optimizations in functions and effects by using MP... I realyl don't see nothing wrong here, though I won't completely preclude some sort of issue, but if so, it is certainly something minor.... At best I could imagine slow file I/O, but since the project only uses synthetic sources, this is ratehr unlikely...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?
                  DigitalSoju Level 1

Well when I watched the tutorial, his stuff was loading almost instantly with no rendering time. So I was expecting the same since I thought my system would be really awesome after this upgrade. Does Andrew Kramer have some kind of super computer with it loading that fast? lol

I also realized that the mercury engine was for premiere and not after effects, so the gpu isn't really necessary.

How do I know when I should be using MP or not? I'm a bit confused because I thought having MP made it much much faster all the time.

Thank you

• 6. Re: After major upgrade, still rendering really slow! Why?
                    bogiesan Level 4

>  Does Andrew Kramer have some kind of super computer with it loading that fast? lol<

You can ask Andrew.

bogiesan