2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 6:42 AM by kp879

Updated Adobe Reader, computer crashed, all files gone.

kp879

So basically Adobe Reader wanted to update and I installed the update. At the end of the update my computer crashed. Now every file is missing. First EVERYTHING was gone... files, folders, programs. I did a restore to 4 days ago. It brought back the programs and folders, but still every file is gone. How can I get the files back?

• 1. Re: Updated Adobe Reader, computer crashed, all files gone.
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When a computer has a bad crash you need to restore the files from a backup. Old proverb: There are two types of people, those who regularly backup their data files and those that haven't lost data recently.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Updated Adobe Reader, computer crashed, all files gone.
            kp879 Level 1

Obviously they need to be restored from a backup if there is one, but I was referring to recovering deleted/lost files without a backup. The computer actually belongs to my mom. She didn't have a backup and thankfully everything important (work related) is saved to an online program. Since there was nothing important I no longer need to recover the files.

And I like the proverb! I never backed up files until I lost thousands of photos. Learned my lesson. And after this crash I'm sure my mom will be using a usb drive to backup files from now on too.

Still curious about why the updater crashed the computer. I've read of this happening to a few other people as well.