3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2011 1:30 PM by George_Johnson

Field Properties failing in Safari

mguise Level 1

Hi Everyone

I am on a Mac OS X 10.6.7. I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.  I have created a reader file with fields.  I have made the field properties border color black, line thickness thin, and line style solid. For some of the fields I have limited the number of characters that you can use.

When I test this in Firefox everything looks fine.  When I look at it through Safari 5.0.4 I can still fill in the fields but I don't see the borders. Nor does it seem to limit the number of characters for each field.

Does this happen only in Safari or does this happen in other web browsers?  I need the field properties to remain consistent using all browsers.

Wondered if anyone had any ideas as how I could fix this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: Field Properties failing in Safari
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure that Reader is being used to display the PDF in Safari?

• 2. Re: Field Properties failing in Safari
            mguise Level 1

I just assumed that Safari was opening it in reader but it appears that it is opening in the browser. But I am a bit confused by this because I thought you had to have reader to read the .pdf.  I try to view the the source for the web page and it won't let me.

I am building a web page and the following is the code I am using for the the link to the .pdf.

<span id="red"><a href="reader/BEWFApplication.pdf" target="_blank">BEWSF Application 2011-2012 >>></a></span>

Any ideas how I need to correctly code it so that it opens it in the reader and not the browser?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Field Properties failing in Safari
              George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

For a majority of Mac users, the default PDF viewer is the Preview application. Preview has limited support for PDF forms and none for JavaScript, which is used behind the scenes to do things such as limit what can be entered into form fields.

How PDF-related things behave depends more on how the user has configured their system than with how you contruct the page. For example, for Firefox, Adobe does not provide a plug-in to allow a PDF to display in the browser using Reader. You can set up Safari to display a PDF in the browser using Reader, but I'd guess that most Mac systems are not set up correctly for this to work.

For more information, see the following: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/509/cpsid_50983.html