15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2008 2:14 PM by Karzons

Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems

Cobalt Freddie
      Having problems connectiong to a website using Contribute CS3.

I can connect and upload files using WS FTP software - no problem there, but when I try and verify the connection in Contribute it says
      "Contribute cannot verify your connection information. The path given does not match the provided wesite's home page, or there may be a permissions problem. Please contact your administrator for assistance."

I've done that. The permissions must be correct as I can upload files, rename files, etc.

Contribute can also see the server directory when I browse in the connection wizard.

I have connected to another website using Contribute with no problems. Just seems to be a problem with this site.

Any ideas please? Freddie
        • 1. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
          Level 7
          What's the URL of the site you can't connect to?

On 6/14/07 4:50 AM, in article f4ra1d$3lu$1@forums.macromedia.com, "Cobalt
          Freddie" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> Having problems connectiong to a website using Contribute CS3.
          >
          > I can connect and upload files using WS FTP software - no problem there, but
          > when I try and verify the connection in Contribute it says
          > "Contribute cannot verify your connection information. The path given does
          > not
          > match the provided wesite's home page, or there may be a permissions problem.
          > Please contact your administrator for assistance."
          >
          > I've done that. The permissions must be correct as I can upload files, rename
          > files, etc.
          >
          > Contribute can also see the server directory when I browse in the connection
          > wizard.
          >
          > I have connected to another website using Contribute with no problems. Just
          > seems to be a problem with this site.
          >
          > Any ideas please? Freddie
          >

• 2. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
            dhiraj_makam
            I am also having the same problem, but in my case i was not at all able to connect to even to a single site .

i am just using the Contribute client.
            i am giving connection details like : /host-name/folder-name/
            • 3. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
              aerkdreyer
              I ran into the "contribute cannot verify your connection information" problem too. During the "create connection" process, in the "Choosing a Connection" dialog, there's a field "What is the web address (URL) of your website?". I had to not only enter the full URL, including http://, but I also could NOT SKIP clickingthe "Browse..." button. This opened the mini browser to the web page, which I closed by pressing the "OK" button. Finally I was back at the dialog with the URL, and I could click the "Continue" button.

When entering the URL for the first time, don't be fooled by the availability of the default button "Continue". I had to click "Browse" first. Strange but it works for me.

I have screenshots here: http://arekdreyer.wordpress.com/2007/07/20/contribute-cannot-verify-your-connection-inform ation/
              • 4. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                OWENS ARCHITECTS
                I'm having same connection problem and I have done all fixes suggested and still nothing no connection. I contacted phone support and they do not support 3 anymore they suggested up grade to fix the problem. I think this is unfair to require upgrade to keep a software working. I now have a software that is paid for that does not work. I have created a tech case on Friday of last week no response to date. Any help would be appreciated I need to update my site.
                • 5. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                  OWENS ARCHITECTS Level 1
                  I give up I can not spend anymore time on trying to get this program to work again. Web tech support has not responded today is third business day not even a confirmation email of the case opening. You guys have made your sale I hope my other adobe programs do not do the same thing I can not afford to pay upgrade extortion for all of them. I have paid the extortion money and paid for the upgrade I hope this gets my software working again but now I have to wait another week before I get the disk as the download products never work for me. This really is a disappointment I own 6 other adobe products and this is the first time I have had to pay for upgrade just to keep the software working very sad I guess this is one way to ensure sales for a new product
                  • 6. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                    nixondesign
                    We had a similar problem with .htaccess / mod_rewriting.

If your website uses rewrite rules for files:

RewriteRule ^(.*).html$ $1.php

Then when Contribute creates its test files in .html then tries to find it, it will get redirected to a non-existent PHP file.

Try turning off the rewrites when you create your connection key - you will also need to rethink not rewriting pages which are Contribute managed...
                    • 7. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                      Tuthilltown
                      Do any of you suppose ADOBE actually checks this forum at all and notices how often people have this problem. I'm rebuilding my website on another piece of software, tired of the lack of support and failings.
                      • 8. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                        base_menth
                        No, acrually i don't nthink so.
                        Their support is a Non-Support.
                        CS3 simply is a failure. Dont spent Money for that !
                        So sorry Macromedia no more exists.
                        I'm trying to find Alternatives to any Adobe-Products, since it is a high risk to spend money for that. If it doesnt work: It's Your Problem !
                        And I don't wont that Problem; no need and no use for that.
                        Also i expect support. Since i didn't get any responce for my e-mail-request, Icalled them.
                        This cost me 40 Dollars ! 10 Minutes only waiting in a loop. No inland-support ! Only possibility in Europe: u HAVE to call to the netherlandes !
                        Adobe is purified s..t concerning support. And this is what they do seem to see their clients: s..t; but s..t u can gather money from- After they've done, you're only more pure s..t. F..k Adobe, reallly !
                        • 9. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                          jheycie

>06/27/2007 01:26:26 AM
                          >Reply | Quote | Top | Bottom

>I am also having the same problem, but in my case i was not at all able to >connect to even to a single site .

>i am just using the Contribute client.
                          >i am giving connection details like : /host-name/folder-name/

hi,

i am also new to contribute it is just that im using CS 3
                          you mentioned that you were not able to connect to any site at all,,,

i had the same issue at first and contacted IT ,turns out that the issue is not with contribute but my computer settings,,,

try to check if your machine is using a proxy server this might be conflicting with your connection from contribute to the server

(tools>internet options>connections>LAN settings ) if the proxy server is checked you would need to disable it and use a fire wall client instead for security purposes,i would also suggest for you to contact IT if you need assistance.

i think the reason why they no longer support older versions is that the issue for that old one is already solved with the new release,,,hmmm

also i was able to find this tech note(but this is for CS 3, although its the same concept), i just hope it helps= )

http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_16592
                          • 10. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                            lukaro Level 1
                            OWENS ARCHITECTS

Is your computer on a network? If so, what kind of router do you use to connect to the internet? What kind of Firewall does it have?

If you are using standard active FTP, then your Firewall could well be blocking the FTP servers attempt to connect back to your computer. Older routers aren't as FTP aware as newer ones. I don't get this problem with my Netgear router.

Alternatively, try using the advanced options when manually creating your Contribute connection, and check the use passive FTP option. Then make sure that your Firewall allows the outgoing FTP connections on random ports out from your network required by a passive FTP connection.

Rgds

lukaro
                            • 12. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                              anton1234 Level 1
                              Settings on your computer, do the following:

Advanced options when manually creating your Contribute connection, and check the use passive FTP option. Then make sure that your Firewall allows the outgoing FTP connections on random ports out from your network required by a passive FTP connection.

printer cartridge raid recovery data recovery
                              • 13. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                                Chad Anderson
                                Believe it or not, the fix for me was, when selecting the Remote Directory (Folder that contains your web site), to remove the leading slash, in the wizard, so that, in my case:

/httpdocs/
                                was replaced with:
                                httpdocs/

And then, suddenly it worked.

None of the other factors seemed to be relevant...
                                • 14. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                                  djcane
                                  I just installed Contribute CS3 and ran into the "Contribute cannot verify your connection information." while trying to connect to our development server via sftp. The server is running 2003 and has CYGWIN providing sftp services. My client machine is a MacBook Pro running Leopard. Contribute connected fine and I was able to use the browse button to look around in the folders on the server, but I kept getting the error message when I selected a folder and clicked next. Dreamweaver CS3 connected fine and was able to use the same folder. Every other SFTP client also connected fine on the same machine. The solution turned out to be simple: Contribute needs HTTP access to the same files as those in the sftp folder. That address is the one that needs to be in the website box, not the public address (if they are different). I ended up having to setup a dev domain name for our dev site before it worked.
                                  • 15. Re: Contribute DS3 - Connection Problems
                                    Karzons
                                    Very interesting writeup thank you.