7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 11:34 AM by ingvarai

AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?

ingvarai Level 1

I want to stabilize a long video, so I add a tracker, and click the button for "analyze forward". This is a lengthy process, so I minimize AE (this is Windows 7) and start to do other things. When I come back to AE, to see how things are going, the tracking has stopped! It seems it has stopped almost immediately after I let it alone. Why can't it work unattended? I have tried several times, I do not even need to minimize it, it is enough to Alt-Tab to another application, and the tracker stops.

I hope there is a way to have AE work alone, without me overlooking it working. Any ideas?

Ingvar

• 1. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Don't minimize AE.... This is a known limitation/ bug. as soon as you hide anything from the tracker's view, it stops working since the layer panel doesn't refresh anymore. Same happens with screensavers etc..

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?
            ingvarai Level 1

In 1994, when I got my first computer and ran Windows 3.1, I had to sit and watch any application do its stuff, until it was done. But now we have 2011.. Why is it that I have to "sit watching paint dry"? Is it because som Open GL stuff? Can it be circumvented in any way?

I trust you are right, but this is so hard to believe.. The tracking in question will take about 20 minutes, am I supposed to just sit idle and wait? Is it a bug? Or a "feature"?

Ingvar

• 3. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?

It has to do with the overlay drawing in the layer panel. You may try to turn off the "Accelerate comp, footage and layer panels" option in teh prefs and see if it works, but I'm not optimistic. This stuff got broken somewhere in CS4 and I'm resonably sure it hasn't been fixed/ changed. I seem to recall a discussion on that somewhere...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You don't need to sit and watch the application work. If you want to switch to another application and use email, use the web, et cetera, then you can use another computer to do so. In fact, that is a recommendation for any serious work. I have a cheap laptop that sits on my desk near my main workstation. The laptop is for all of these things that I don't want running on my dedicated video workstation.

• 5. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?
                  ingvarai Level 1

> then you can use another computer to do so. In fact, that is a recommendation for any serious work.

Is it? I find your post rather remarkable, I must say.

I am tempted to share with you the way I work, and leave it up to anyone to judge whether it is "serious" or not

Here are some (not all) of my multi media applications:

http://www.ingvarius.com/pv/adobe/multimedia-apps.png

And here is my task manager when AE is rendering away a video file:

http://www.ingvarius.com/pv/adobe/taskman.png

My PC has dual Intel Xeon 5680 CPUs, which gives me 24 cores working simultaneously. This allows me to do a lot of things in parallel. At the same time as I let Carrara render out a 3D scene, I am editing a video in Sony Vegas. Having then started a test rendering in Vegas, I may switch to After Effects to fine tune an effect, or perhaps fire up Cakewalk Sonar to do some sound work. I use a virtual desktop manager, to clean up my workplace, so I see only the applications I currently need to see. When I switch back, I trust the job is done by the application in question.

All of this runs very smoothly, my PC has not crashed, in fact nothing has crashed since I started to use it 2 months ago.

It may not be "serious work" , but it is efficient work! As a matter of fact, only daz3D Carrara is using all 24 cores fully, and After Effects CS5 is not bad either. But most applications use only a fraction of my PCs power, which allows me employ "multi tasking" to its fullest extent.

Imagineer Systems' Mocha (planar tracker) and Andersson Technologies LLC's SynthEyes camera tracker have no problems working unattended, only the tracker in AE has.

To sum it up, until someone can convince me of the contrary, I prefer to believe that in this case After Effects has more need for improvements than my working habits!

Ingvar

• 6. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?
                    I prefer to believe that in this case After Effects has more need for improvements than my working habits!

Sure it has, but you might still try what was at the core of Todd's suggestion: Let it run without minimizing and then switch to another app.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: AE CS 5 unattended tracking stops - why?
                      ingvarai Level 1

>. as soon as you hide anything from the tracker's view, it stops

> working since the layer panel doesn't refresh anymore.

It seems it is only minimizing it that creates the problem. "Hiding" ity does not hurt, it seems

>Sure it has, but you might still try what was at the core of Todd's suggestion:

> Let it run without minimizing and then switch to another app

Ahem.. his suggestion was: " then you can use another computer to do so"

I am for a solution where I can use my super-PC for everything.

Ingvar