6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 3:36 PM by RobertDiner

Can my current computer handle simple edits?

RobertDiner

After some great frustration trying to use the trial version of CS5 to test my machine, I learned that the trial software doesn't accept certain formats.  So, I tried converting MPEG - 4 to .wmv.  With .wmv the video would not keep up with the audio in the preview screen and my processor was running at 98% capacity.  Now, I don't know if that is because the trail version won't work with either MPEG - 4 OR .wmv formats or that my computer is too underpowered to use this software for very simple editing.

I'm trying to decide whether I can purchase and use this software to perform simple edits and transitions with titles on AVCHD with my current computer.  My computer is a Sony laptop with 64 bit, Intel Duo Core 2.2, 400GB HD that spins 5,400rpm, 4GB ram, and a mobile intel GM45 exprress chipset with mobile intel graphics meida accelerator 4500M HD and total graphics memory 1695MB max.

Two questions:

1. Can I use this software to do simple edits on the computer listed above?

2. Is there a format that I can covert the video to that will work in the trial software so that I can continue learning the software in my Lynda.com video tutorials before purchasing the software?

• 1. Re: Can my current computer handle simple edits?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. If you have the patience of a retired, handicapped snail, that is used to break before cornering, yes. It will be dead slow. Only 100 - 150 times slower than a fast system.

2. Conversion needs to be done externally and conversions cost quality.

Your system is way too underpowered for a nice editing experience.

• 2. Re: Can my current computer handle simple edits?
            RobertDiner Level 1

Thank you for the reply.  That is an interesting reply because my current system exceeds minimum manufacturer requirements with the exception of the HD spin rate.

What platform do I need to get a "good experience" without breaking the bank?

• 3. Re: Can my current computer handle simple edits?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Back at http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current click the FAQ dropdown and start reading

For Laptop Video Editing PC http://www.sagernotebook.com/

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0 for real world requirements

A laptop with ONE 5200rpm drive is below real world requirements

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
              You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
              Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
              You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
              A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for easy video editing
              One hard drive is not as good as two which is not as good as three

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can my current computer handle simple edits?
                RobertDiner Level 1

Thanks for all the links.  Harm seemed to have kicked off some good discussions in these forums.  Seems like many folks are piecing together all kinds of hardware in an attempt to get more bandwidth for HD video such as -

Quad core+ processors

8-24G Ram

Special video cards

Hard drive systems set-up in Raid configuration

No doubt a lot of "1"'s and "0"'s code has to flow through the system quickly in editing layered tracks of HD video.

Well it would be easy to purchase the highest grade of each of these components I'm not sure I've read anywhere that someone actually knows where the bottlenecks in data/code movement occur in each component part of the system.  My impression is that folks are operating under the premise that bigger/more is better without the knowledge of the most cost effective configuration for AVCHD editing.

Is that fair?

Regarding the initial thread starter, my question has been answered and the answer is no.

• 5. Re: Can my current computer handle simple edits?
                  mdubuque Level 1

Robert, I'm reminded of my friend Tony Donatelli's response when I asked him how much memory I would need to edit my H.264 files from my Canon 5d Mark II.

He said "ALL OF IT!".

All kidding aside, he was telling the truth.

You are halfway there buddy.  Don't give up now.  Believe me, paradise awaits you and 100 virgins as well.  All you need to do is somehow convince your wife/girlfriend that you need to buy a nice desktop computer that smokes.

I picked up a used MacPro and it changed everything.  MacBooks used to choke on these video files and this unit chews threw them like a glutton.

If funds are an issue, you might consider buying the full version of Premiere ELEMENTS for what you described as your simple edits and take the money you saved and apply it towards buying a brutal desktop computer.

I would definitely stick with the Adobe platform however. 

These Adobe forums are incredibly helpful and I did not find that to be the case with the Final Cut forums.

Good luck!

Matt Dubuque

• 6. Re: Can my current computer handle simple edits?
                    RobertDiner Level 1

Based on this thread I am in the process of selecting a new desktop computer.  I've tried the trial versions of Premiere Pro and Elements and prefer the granularity of Pro even though my edits will be simple.

I plan to purchase the computer to meet the specs for the Pro software and incorporate some of the information in Harms threads:

64 bit

Intel quad processor 3+GHz

12G ram

Raid HD

Additional separate HD for boot up

Middle to high range GeForce X type video card - listed in the software specs.

Budget: $1,500 for desktop box, no monitors, keyboards, etc.. Probably a customized HP: HPE-570t

My value add contribution:

http://http://www.videoguys.com

Check out their guide section of the website for hardware recommendations.  Excellent information for editing hardware requirments.