6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 8:26 AM by SEWERTWO

Recorder Captured No Frames

Mr_Pedantic

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 7 and Windows Vista.

I am trying to capture video from a VHS tape.

I think that I have the equipment set up correctly as I can see the preview in the capture window. However, when I press pause to test the capture, I get the message that no frames have been recorded.

Can anybody help me, please?

Regards

David

• 1. Re: Recorder Captured No Frames
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say which equipment you're using to capture your video -- but most USB-connected digitizers or capture cards won't work with this program.

You need to use something called a DV bridge, a device that attaches to your computer via a FireWire connection, as described in the FAQs to the right of this forum. The ADS Pyro AV Link is a popular and affordable device that works very well!

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

Remember that, when using these devices, your computer is not directly attached to your playback camcorder, so you won't be able to control it with your software. You'll need to manually start your camcorder or VCR playing, and then click the Capture button in Premiere Elements to capture your video.

• 2. Re: Recorder Captured No Frames
            Mr_Pedantic Level 1

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a VCR connected to a Sony camcorder, which is set up to convert analogue to digital. I have the equipment set up correctly according to the camcorder manual.

I can see the video in the capture window up until the point that I press the pause button in the capture window. The video in the capture window then freezes and the error message appears. I am not sure if this is relevant, but the video reappears in the capture window after about 30 seconds.

Regards

David

• 3. Re: Recorder Captured No Frames

You say you're using your Sony as a pass-through?

If so, as I said above, you should not be using the pause or other playback keys in the program. This will only confuse the program, since there is no direct connection between your computer and your VHS tape player. The only button you should press in the program is the Capture button.

You also should not have a tape in your Sony, of course.

You may also want to go into your Device Control in Premiere Elements and ensure that the options to Split Scenes by Timecode are unchecked. This feature too can confuse the program when you're using a pass-through.

• 4. Re: Recorder Captured No Frames

Also, go to Edit/Preferences/Capture and ensure that Abort Capture on Dropped Frames, Report Dropped Frames and Use Device Control Timecode are unchecked when using a DV bridge or pass-through.

• 5. Re: Recorder Captured No Frames
                  Mr_Pedantic Level 1

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your help.

The problem was that I had a tape in the camcorder. As soon as I took it out, the problem was resolved.

Regards

David

• 6. Re: Recorder Captured No Frames
                    SEWERTWO Level 1

Help.  I'm getting scores of e-mail from PE everyday and I don't know  how

to stop it.

In a message dated 3/29/2011 9:39:16 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Also, go to Edit/Preferences/Capture and ensure that Abort  Capture on

Dropped Frames, Report Dropped Frames and Use Device Control  Timecode are

unchecked when using a DV bridge or  pass-through.