6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2011 1:33 PM by try67 RSS

PDF Table of Contents

Thongrrrl14 Community Member

I want to create a bookmarked table of contents for a 700+ page document. I figured that I would bookmark the text in the table of contents to go to the appropriate pages...

...but...

...I have also been asked if we can also include an easy way to let the user go BACK to the table of contents. In Acrobat, the only way that occurs to me is to add text to every page that says "return to tabe of contents" and bookmark every last one of them.

Does anyone have any better ideas when it comes to making a user-friendly PDF table of contents? (Including with third-party applications?)

• 1. Re: PDF Table of Contents
          try67 ACP/MVPs

Are you talking about bookmarks or about a TOC? The two are different

things.

You can go back to a TOC (just add a button that links to that page and

duplicate it to the pages you want), but you can't go back to the Bookmarks

panel.

• 2. Re: PDF Table of Contents

I am talking about a bookmarked table of contents. The list of chapters and page numbers, which can be clicked to take the user to the appropriate page.

And I m also looking for an easy way to return the user to the table of contents.

• 3. Re: PDF Table of Contents
              try67 ACP/MVPs

Like I said, you can create a button directing to the page where the TOC is,

and then duplicate it to all pages by right-clicking it (using the Select

Object Tool) and selecting Duplicate.

• 4. Re: PDF Table of Contents

When you say "button," can I ask for clarification on that? I don't pretend to be most knowledgeable gent when it comes to Acrobat.

Is a "button" something other than a hyperlink or bookmark?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: PDF Table of Contents
                  try67 ACP/MVPs

A button is a form field which can perform a certain action when clicked.

• 6. Re: PDF Table of Contents

It looks like Ihave found it, thanks. THis might work. Just two dummy questions from having just tried it out seconds ago.

1. Do I have to specify a zoom level for the action? I'd rather that the zoom level remain that which the user had already selected.

2. I have specified the text to be black on a grey button, but when I save the document and re-open it, the button is grey with no visible text. How do I make the text visible?

Thanks.