3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2015 8:11 AM by art123123123123

AE CS5 Crashing with Zero Denominator & Strange Situation errors

Imaginary Rob Level 1

Good afternoon!

In AE CS5 for OSX, we've started observing a strange behavior:

- I have an AE project w/ footage loaded, including a Quicktime movie rendered out of another app (e.g., a 3D app)

- I need a change to the movie, so I re-render it from the 3D app, replacing the existing movie.

- In AE, I get impatient and click Reload Footage while the movie is still being re-rendered.

In past versions of AE, I got an error (unrecognized file type) but AE continued to operate.  With CS5, I get a series of errors:

"may be an unsupported format" (expected)

"zero denominator in ratio addition"

"zero denominator comparing ratios"

"zero denominator converting ratio denominators"

"After Effects Error: Strange Situation"

Even after the movie finishes rendering, I keep getting the errors and clicking OK keeps presenting errors.  Have to force-quit AE to get on with my day.

Is this a bug?  New in CS5?  I understand that I'm trying to do something "wrong" by loading a piece of footage that's invalid, but shouldn't I just get a polite "that piece of footage is no good", the ol' test-pattern, and be able to keep working and come back to it when it's ready?

Anyone else run into this?

--Rob

• 1. Re: AE CS5 Crashing with Zero Denominator & Strange Situation errors
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          but shouldn't I just get a polite "that piece of footage is no good", the ol' test-pattern, and be able to keep working and come back to it when it's ready?

In theory yes, but as I just explained in another thread, 64bit AE vs. ye olde QT is full of workarounds and limitations due to Apple not seeming to care at all. That and the differences in 64bit file access on a more general level may lead AE to wrong conclusions. I'm sure it's a bug of sorts plus perhaps your 3D app (Cinema 4D?) could also do better by closing and re-opening the file from time to time so at least some parts are accessible instead of keeping it permanently open. For the time being, simply use image sequences...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE CS5 Crashing with Zero Denominator & Strange Situation errors
            transmografied

I had this "Zero denominator comparing ratios" issue in AE CS6 when puppeting an AI file. The file was imported as a comp with an odd screen ratio, and was being used with the puppet tool to create a character. When I changed the artwork and reloaded the footage, the mesh would not match and this same error arose. My solution was to quit and restart after effects, so the footage would load, and then initialize a new puppet pin, creating a new instance of the puppet effect. I was then able to copy and paste my pins and expressions from the other puppet effect and the character was back to life.

Note that if your mesh resolution settings are any different your pins may move!

• 3. Re: AE CS5 Crashing with Zero Denominator & Strange Situation errors
              art123123123123

I just had the "After Effects error: zero denominator in ratio addition. (17 :: 16 )" while trying to RAM Preview a composition and a quick solution that worked for me was switching my Fast Previews from "Fast Draft" (which I was working in) to "Off (Finest Quality)". I was then able to RAM Preview the entire composition.