2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 10:07 AM by George_Johnson

Javascript help (Calculation)

csb102155 Level 1

I have incorporated the following script into my form to use in calculating a column in a balance sheet.  The problem is, that if the user skips a field in the column, They get all kinds of errors.  It doesn't always add, and sometimes it will look like this:  10.00 + 10.00 = 1,010.00.

This is the script that I used:

var f = this.getField("OA");
         var a = f.getArray();
          var sum = 0;
          for (i =0; i < a.length; i++)
          sum += a[i].value;
      if (sum !=0)
          event.value = sum;
      else
      event.value = "";

Is there a better script to use to calculate columns in a balance sheet?

Thanks for any assistance.

Connie

• 1. Re: Javascript help (Calculation)
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You need to explicitly convert the field values to numbers, which you can do with the unary + operator. Change this line:

sum += a[i].value;

to this:

sum += +a[i].value;

• 2. Re: Javascript help (Calculation)
            gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The '+' operator serves as both the addition operator for numbers and concatenation operator for strings. A null value is treated as a string value and not a numeric value, but a null string can be forced to a numeric value by forcing an operation that requires a numeric value or using the 'Number()' constrictor. Multiplication or division by 1 will force a number to zero. The use of the '+' operator is equivalent to multiplying by 1 like using the '-' in front of a variable is the same as multiplying by -1.

You should see the strange behavior when there is a null or empty field between 2 numeric values in the field.