7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2013 11:31 AM by frestyl402

"...an Output Module failed" error screen...

Joey Morelli Level 1

Greetings AE Peeps!!

Long time - no see - been stupid busy. My Studio has just ponied up and upgraded our 5 Edit Stations to AE CS5. I personally am a huge advocate of not upgrading software while in the middle of a project, but this was out of my control. I am having a lot of crashing (app just quits for no reason while scrubbing) and other weirdness...like today. I am rendering a 3 minute piece in ProRes 4:2:2 (1280x720p) to my RAID (no special plug-ins or anything) and I get the following error at the very end of every render:

After Effects Error: Rendering error while writing to file (insert my RAID path here). An output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted (-1610153464)

I have never in 11 years got a "failed Output Module error". Can anyone speak to this and tell me how to get rid of it short of reinstalling AE?

Grazie! Ciao!

Joey

• 1. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The long number indicates a Quicktime problem, which is unfortunately not so rare with 64bit AE due to how Apple do not really have a 64bit Quicktime and Adobe needs to work their way around some of that. It may, however, help to reinstall QT. Can't think of much else, but obviously saving to other volumes or using image sequences may at least allow you to finish your stuff and investigate the problem deeper at a later point...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
            Joey Morelli Level 1

Thank you for that response.

That is really bad news mylenium. We are a busy shop that is quicktime-based (ProRes). If this is an AE CS5 / Quicktime issue, can someone from Adobe (Todd / Adolfo) jump in and clarify if this is being addressed? We may have to go back to CS4 to keep working at the pace we are accustomed...cannot afford QT issues...yikes. Does everyone concur with Mylenium?

• 3. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First, make sure that you've installed the After Effects CS5 (10.0.1) update.

Regarding the output module failure: It may be that this is because you have an output module created in a previous version of After Effects that refers to a codec or set of settings that isn't working in After Effects CS5. The best thing to do is to remove the output modules from the render items and then rebuild them in After Effects CS5. That may sound tedious, but you only need to do it once, and then you can save output module templates that you know work with After Effects CS5.

As Mylenium suggested, there are some challenges associated with the fact that there is no 64-bit QuickTime, so we had to create our own 32-bit-to-64-bit QuickTime conversion layer (QT32 Server). QuickTime does work with After Effects CS5, but there are some hiccups in some cases on first use.

If this doesn't help, answer back and we'll help you through.

Oh, this might be useful, too:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2011/02/troubleshooting-quicktime-errors-with-after-eff ects.html

• 4. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
                Corey_Cheney

Hey Joey,

I had close to the same problem minus the ProRes footage.

I had a couple of wav and avi files imported into my project, but not being used and it said that both files were corrupted when I opened AE CS5. I removed both of them and it worked! AE is humming away and rendering like a champ!

~Corey

• 5. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
                  Vikingjonsson

I know this is a bit late, but for the rest of the AE users getting this problem, I just would like to add: I just removed the renders in the render queue and added the renders back in, everything rendered fine afterwards. Hope it helps!

- Viking

• 6. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
                    TerrificOn Level 1

i had the same problem...

removed all (except one) Output Module Template. Didnt work.

reboot

uninstalled After Effects CS5 and reinstalled it. Didnt work.

reboot

uninstalled Quicktime, reinstalled. Didnt work.

reboot

installed older version of Quicktime. Didnt work.

reboot

Removed all thirdparty video codecs. Didnt work.

reboot...

SOLUTION:

uninstall the whole CS5 suite, run the Adobe CS5 Cleaner Tool. Uninstall Quicktime.

Reinstall CS5 suite. Reinstall Quicktime. it takes about 30 minutes to do it, i wasted 7 hours looking for other solutions...

i know its a pain, but strangely all the CS5 plugins stays installed in the right folders so the next time you load After Effects they're already there. So at least you save this time.

i've tried everything to save time and Cleaning and reinstalling CS5 is the only way (i've found) to get rid of the "Output module failed" error.

• 7. Re: "...an Output Module failed" error screen...
                      frestyl402 Level 1

I know this has been posted for quite a while, but I wanted to share my experiance since my error was due to a simple plug in issues.

I too recived the same error when trying to render a comp out of AE CS6. I only used two plug-ins and one was a third party, Video Copilot's Twitch. After looking at variouse posts and this one, I found that I had a mismatched plug-in installed. I removed the installed one and verified the new one, dropped it in and everything rendered properly. The strange thing was the pluging had no problems previewing I was working in the comp and only had issues in the Queue.