2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2011 1:39 PM by Danny Noonan

CS4 JS Urgent-Update EPS Alias Issue

Danny Noonan Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any known issues with updating eps via js. Dave Saunders created a script for us to update images in documents, among other things a few years back. I don't know if our issue is the Indesign preferences, the script or the os, but we need help fast.

The automation  consist of a folder with with an original document and a worker, with all the documents and images as aliases on the same folder level. The images are all eps. Lo res eps's  were placed, and this script is supposed to update to the hires eps aliases. When it is ran, it shows all images as missing, even though these aliases are on the same level as the document. I know this works with the exact same setup with tifs(on 10.4, our problem is on 10.5.8). If I move the job folder with the docs and aliases to another machine(tried this on 10.4 and 10.6) the document opens up with updated and modified links. These should all be updated!

There are several variables here, I am just checking if any of you are aware of issues with CS4 on 10.5.8. Or, is there a problem with updating eps's via javascript?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny

function updateLinks(doc, log) {           var myLinks = doc.links;           for (var j = myLinks.length - 1; j >= 0; j--) {                switch (myLinks[j].status) {                     case LinkStatus.normal :; case LinkStatus.linkEmbedded : break; // nothing to do                     case LinkStatus.linkOutOfDate : myLinks[j].update(); break; // update                     case LinkStatus.linkMissing :                          log = log + "Link '" + myLinks[j].name + "' is missing\n";                     break                } // end switch           } // end for           return log      } // end updateLinks

• 1. Re: CS4 JS Urgent-Update EPS Alias Issue
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Ow, that's unreadible. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I reformatted your script so I can read it. Maybe someone else knows the problem, so here it is readable:

function updateLinks(doc, log) {
              var myLinks = doc.links;
              for (var j = myLinks.length - 1; j >= 0; j--) {          
               switch (myLinks[j].status) {
                  case LinkStatus.normal:
                   ;
               case LinkStatus.linkEmbedded:
                   break;
                   // nothing to do 
                  case LinkStatus.linkOutOfDate:
                   myLinks[j].update();
                   break;
                   // update
                  case LinkStatus.linkMissing:
                      log = log + "Link '" + myLinks[j].name +
                         "' is missing\n";
                   break
                  } // end switch
              } // end for
              return log      } // end updateLinks

• 2. Re: CS4 JS Urgent-Update EPS Alias Issue
            Danny Noonan Level 1

Just wanted to update anyone interested. This problem seemed to be specific to the Mac it was running on. We tried running the exact same script on several different machines and os's and it performed as expected. I'm not sure what is different about the problem machine, but we're going to start fresh with a reinstall.

Thanks for the help.