6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 2:42 PM by Cine Real

Program Monitor Freezes

Cine Real Level 1

Essentially, while editing SD footage, on the Premiere Pro CS5 timeline, in a SD 720 x 480 resolution project, the Program Monitor image freezes.

It does not seem to matter what I am doing such a playback, adding a transition, color correction, shortening the length of a clip, or cropping an image. It makes no difference. The Program Monitor just freezes.This happens twice in every hour or so of editing. There does not seem to be a timing variable to this problem, or it is not consistent.

The timeline is still useable and the audio continues playing, the mouse moves, I can access clips on the Source Monitor and play them. Nothing else changes. I can change the playback resolution or make any other monitor changes, although they do not show up since the image at the time of the freeze stays in the monitor. Refreshing does not work. Restarting the program does not work. All changes since the last freeze can be saved since the Save function still works. I just cannot edit and the only way that I can proceed is to reboot the computer.

Adobe Service has escalated this case #182091487, back and forth for almost two months. This is putting a crimp in my production schedule.

This happens sporadically, although on one occasion, I was actually able to demostrate the freeze to Adobe Service while they were on line.

I currently edit on an MSI GT660R laptop

•     Intel® Core™ i7-740QM Processor
      •     Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit
      •     15.6" TFT-LCD Display (LED Backlight)
      •     NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 285M 3D Discrete Graphics Card (DDR3 1GB VRAM)
      •     6GB (2GB x 3) DDR3 1066 MHz System Memory
      •     1TB (500x2) 7200RPM Hard Drive
      •     802.11 b/g/ n Wireless LAN with Bluetooth
      •     Dynaudio Premium Sound Speakers
      •     Dual SATA Hard Drive with Raid 0
      •     Accelerated CPU+ GPU performance with MSI TDE Technology
      •     MSI Cooler Boost Technology
      •     USB 3.0 for high speed data transfer
      •     Blu-Ray Optical Drive
      •     Built-in 720p HD webcam
      •     HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output

I want my CS3 back.

• 1. Re: Program Monitor Freezes
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Two drives in a raid setup is still, really, only one hard drive... even if faster than a single drive 

•     1TB (500x2) 7200RPM Hard Drive
          •     Dual SATA Hard Drive with Raid 0

You really need separate drives for software and data... not a partition, physically separate drives

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
          1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all programs
          2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video projects
          3 - 1T WD all video files... read and write

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Program Monitor Freezes
            mdubuque Level 1

Do you ever change your the size of your playback window during playback?

I used to do that and I found that the rapid and massive pixel remapping calculations caused by this impulsive and impetuous playback window resizing DURING playback were making it crash.

I was doing it unconsciously.

Now I don't do it any more and my unit (and I) are much happier.

I ONLY resize my Source Panel and Program Panel when I am NOT playing video.

Matt Dubuque

100 Trees

• 3. Re: Program Monitor Freezes
              steveprc Level 1

I'm running CS5 on a quad core PC with 4 drives totalling 6TB of space, with the software on it's own drive, the scratch discs on another, and the files on yet another drive. I have 32 GB of RAM and a 1.5 GB QuadroFX video card. It's a fairly powerful system, but I experience a similar disruption randomly. While a laptop is limited in resources and probably not ideal, I've found two conditions during which the minotor will freeze.

If you have a lot of clips, effects, transitions, adjustments, etc. stacked in the timeline, it tends to eat up all the video and memory resources, which can cause . I tend to render the files within the project often so playback isn't so memory intensive. So, really "heavy" footage can stall the monitor. I've also noticed that, when the screen saver kicks in while an active Premiere project is open, the minotr freezes up, and even though I can perform most other functions in the software, but the whole thing generally locks up and a I have to force a shutdown. It's a bit of a disapointment given the cost of the CS5 package, but I've learned to shut off the screen saver when I'm working in Premiere. It's better than calling Pakistan for support.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Program Monitor Freezes
                Cine Real Level 1

The raid setup in this drive configuration is no longer accurate.  In

actuallity, I have a solid state 500 gig drive for the OS and another  500

gig sata drive that is used for the video storage. They are  physically

separate drives.

What was put down on the specs was the  original configuration. I use other

external drives, USB 3, for extra storage  such as music and pictures.

CS3 does not cause this audio problem.

Wayne

Tried to do a direct reply but the email just bounced.

• 5. Re: Program Monitor Freezes
                  Cine Real Level 1

Screen saver is (NONE) so probably not a factor

My laptop is used for  editing while travelling. They would not let me carry
                  my desktop on the the  plane. Complained that the three monitors took up too
                  much space.

Do  not really have much stacked up on the timeline. Mostly one, sometimes
                  two  and on the odd occasion, a third track for perhaps a title or PIP.
                  However,  I am using colour correction via Auto levels and ProDad's Mercalli
                  2.0  stabilizer (incredible plug-in).  Never have Red or Yellow bars over the 
                  footage on the timeline without applying these effects. Mercury engine has 
                  really helped with that issue.

When my 'Program' monitor freezes up,  I am still able to save, playback
                  (audio only) the timeline, and even play  clips on the source monitor. It has
                  been suggested that I reduce the Program  monitor playback resolution. I will
                  experiment with that.

I will also  follow your suggestion and render more often when these Red
                  /Yellow bars do  appear. I appreciate the suggestions.

Wayne

• 6. Re: Program Monitor Freezes
                    Cine Real Level 1

Change the size? Not that I am aware of. Sometimes the freeze of the Program

monitor occurs when the video is not even playing. Perhaps I am adding an 
                    effect or lengthening/shortening the clip. Playback is only one example of 
                    the freeze of the Program monitor. The program does not actually crash, just 
                    the monitor. I can still play the timeline and hear the audio. I can even 
                    play video in the Source monitor, while the Program monitor is  frozen.

Wayne