8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2011 8:44 AM by dead_reckless

Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE

dead_reckless

Hi guys,

I have been using Premiere CS5 for working with my 550D/7D footage and love the native support and for the most part perform all my colour correction work using the tools within Premiere since it automatically up-samples to 4:4:4 32bit float and then encode to my final file straight from it.

However for some projects I find myself needing the extra power of After Effects for finishing on and it is my understanding it does not currently have the same magic voodoo for working with canon footage, so if I simply import my Premiere timeline into After Effects I will get all my clips laid out on separate layers to work with, but I would be performing colour correction work on regular h.264 footage.

So for after effects I would be better taking the footage in my timeline (and just this footage, not all my unused media) and exporting it as lossless format to work on like a tiff sequence.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Can I transcode a timeline in Premiere as a tiff sequence and then import that into After Effects?

Obviously I can render the timeline from Premiere as a tiff sequence and import that into After Effects but then I would loose all my edit points and have to go through manually splitting the footage back up before I could begin colour correcting the shots separately.

Surely the is some way of just transcoding the clips within a Premiere timeline?

Thanks for your help

Adam

• 1. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Welcome to the forum.

Use the Work Area Bar to delineate the segment of the Pr timeline that you want to export.

WorkAreaBar.png

Set the Export Settings to Work Area, and queue up each segment in the AME to batch them all at once.

ExportWorkArea.png

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
            dead_reckless Level 1

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply.

That seems like a good solution for rendering each of my edits seperately.

Is there then an easy way for me to then import them into After Effects keeping the order/timeline in-tact?

Or would I just have to take all the rendered clips and create a new After Effects project bringing them into a composition and rebuilding the time line one by one manually.

Thanks

Adam

• 3. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
              mdubuque Level 1

Hi Adam, I am doing color grading on Canon H.264 footage as well (here in the SF Bay Area) and am following this thread with interest.

I don't quite understand what you meant when you said:

"so if I simply import my Premiere timeline into After Effects I  will get all my clips laid out on separate layers to work with, but I  would be performing colour correction work on regular h.264 footage."

Any chance you could expand on this a bit?

Also, Premiere Pro has an RGB parade monitor, so I was wondering what you might be using AE for.  Vignetting?

Thanks,

Matt Dubuque

• 4. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
                jkosmicki Level 2

I am unaware of any upsampling by Premiere, in fact, I think one of the selling points of Premiere is that it uses native file formats without transcoding. It will use 32bpc color, but I believe, still using your 4:2:0 source. After Effects will also use 32bpc, so I don't think there is any difference where you perform the color correction. If you want to work with 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 source files, you can transcode your 7D footage to a format like CineForm. This can done be at any point in the workflow since the the source 7D files can be replaced with the transcoded files anytime prior to final render/output. 

• 5. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
                  dead_reckless Level 1

Jkosmicki -

Jason Levine explains the upsampling in an Adobe TV video here: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/premiere-pro-cs5-feature-tour/staying-native-or-going-intermedia te-transcoding-and-premiere-pro-cs5-/

He says that CS5 is the only NLE that does this and negates the need to transcode for better colour correcting.

Mdubuque -

After Effects has the ability to import a Premire Pro project (File-Import-Premiere Pro Project)

When you do this you can select which sequences you want to open and it will create a composistion with all of your seperate edits spilt to different layers and maped out along the timeline in order so it will play through just as if you had the sequence open in Premiere.

This alows you to go through and treat each clip seperately with ease.

This is a luxury I am trying to avoid loosing when I transcode/render my sequences clips out.

As for what I use After Effects for, it has a great colour correction suite called "Color Finesse" that comes free with it and for more in-depth projects I like to have the abilty to stack adjustment layers and have lots of masks that can easily be tracked as well as using some more advanced transistion effects.

• 6. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What if you use a sequential naming convention like 01_CC2AE, 02_CC2AE, etc.?  Then all you'd have to do is sort them in the AE project panel and drag them to a new comp.  I think there's a keyboard shortcut that will automatically arrange them head-to-tail, but I don't remember what that is.  You could ask over at the AE forum.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
                      jkosmicki Level 2
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jason Levine explains the upsampling in an Adobe TV video here: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/premiere-pro-cs5-feature-tour/staying-native -or-going-intermediate-transcoding-and-premiere-pro-cs5-/

He says that CS5 is the only NLE that does this and negates the need to transcode for better colour correcting.

Wow, had no idea, good to know.

• 8. Re: Transcode PP timeline for Import to AE
                        dead_reckless Level 1

Thats a great idea, thanks.

Also another thought I have had based on what was said above is to just work out what clips are being used in the sequence and transcode them to Tiff or PNG codec within a .MOV container.

Then I could just relink the media in Premiere and hey presto, full functionality with a losless codec for working on in AE via import.

Really helpful forum this guys, thanks.