9 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2011 1:26 AM by Harm Millaard

AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?

kennywhite1983

Hello,

I shot some video on my new Panasonic HMC40 and tried to edit it in Premiere. I have done SD video for years and thought my PC was pretty powerful, but the AVCHD video mopped the floor with my PC.

Here is my current setup:

AMD Phenom II 1055T X6 2.8 GHz

4 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ

I am using onboard video.

I plan on upgrading to 12 GB DDR3 1600 and purchasing a GeForce Gainward GTX285 1024MB video card (http://www.gainward.net/main/vgapro.php?id=115)

Will this new hardware fix my issue?

• 1. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It will help, but is it enough? AMD's are pretty slow in comparison to Intel based systems. Look here: PPBM5 Benchmark

• 2. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
            kennywhite1983 Level 1

Looking at the results page, it appears that I would have to drop at least another grand on a new mother board and an Intel i7. I'll definitely run this test after installing my new hardware. I'm not too concerned with the rendering time, I just want to be able to work with the footage smoothly. Do you think I would have any chance of that, or will I be forced to transcode my footage to something more managable?

• 3. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
              kennywhite1983 Level 1

Looking at the MPE chart it appears that the GTX260 is the best listed for playback. Am I reading that right?

• 4. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The red line shows how much faster hardware MPE is than software MPE. The 260 shows only 7.9 x performance gains, only the 9800 GT shows less gains. In general the higher the red line score, the better, but .......

this chart is very hard to interpret, because it is heavily influenced by CPU/memory interaction.

Example: a 460 on a Phenom X4 versus the same 460 on an i7-980X will show a much better gain on the 980X than on the Phenom, because the Phenom introduces a severe bottleneck, that holds back the gains from the 460. But, the Phenom, due to lacking SSE extensions is not very fast with software MPE and thus gains a couple of extra points on the hardware side, due to lacking CPU prowess. Confusing, is it not???

If you are looking for an affordable BFTB card, the 460 looks better than the 260.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
                  kennywhite1983 Level 1

Alright, I got it. I did some looking around and the 460 is definitely the best within my price range.

Thanks so much for your help.

• 6. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You're welcome.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just make sure that your 460 has the 1 GB of RAM as on the nVidia site they also have a 768 MB model listed and this is not enough for Adobe Premiere MPE

• 8. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
                        kennywhite1983 Level 1

I am using the 1GB card. I've also pumped my system up to 12 GB of RAM. My editing experience is much more pleasant now. Every now and then my system will have to stop and think a few seconds, but it it rare enough that it doesn't bother me.

The only issue I've had is sometimes my rendered video will lag at certain points. I've been trying to figure out how to get past that this evening. It usually happens at the same point in the videos every time I re-render them. The source videos are fine and it looks like it only happens on cuts. It isn't every cut, just an intermittent problem I've ran into. Any ideas?

• 9. Re: AVCHD - Is My PC Good Enough?
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

What I have noticed is that very slight hiccups (noticeable in the number of dropped frames in preview mode) can occur when the playback engine switches from hardware MPE to rendered files and vice versa. This is only discernible when using certain debug features, otherwise one would not notice it. It seems that switching from CUDA processing to fetching a rendered file from disk and switching back to CUDA processing entails some overhead that can sometimes cause some dropped frames. The number of dropped frames is very small and only happens with very complex timelines, at least in my experience.