4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 3:31 AM by sangdn

How to create an ad banner using Flash Catalyst

jrota1 Level 1

This should be an easy question to answer...I've been able to create a variety of ad banners using Flash Catalyst but none of the online tutorials show how to link the ad banner to a URL...i.e. when someone clicks on the banner.  I don't like the idea of having to create a button + Go To URL (on click) because the button doesn't appear on all screens/states, etc.

Is there a way to turn the entire project into a button without losing the animation action?  i.e. so that no matter what state the banner is in, if someone clicks on it, they go to the URL?

• 1. Re: How to create an ad banner using Flash Catalyst
          Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

My first piece of advice is not to use Flash Catalyst in the fashion. The reason being, it is built on the Flex framework. This will cause a slight delay while it might be downloaded, then a slight delay while it initializes. The file size also might be an issue if you are planning on publishing the banner into an ad network. They have very strict guideline on file size and bandwidth. If it is for your own site, or a single client, then just be aware of the 'weight' of the project might have an impact on it's usability.

With that said, here is an outline of what you need to do:

You are going to need to rebuild the banner so that instead of all the animations occurring at the top level of the Flash Catalyst project, they are instead wrapped inside a single custom component. Then on this single component you can apply the interaction. Yes it will mean a complete rebuild.

The only other option, would be to include a component at the bottom visible layer that is shared among all the states that has the interaction applied to it. But not knowing the design, this might not work.

Good luck,

Chris

• 2. Re: How to create an ad banner using Flash Catalyst
            jrota1 Level 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your advice.  It's for our own sites, so we can accept the overhead.

The animation is simply fade in image, fade out image, fade in text message, fade out text message, fade in next image, etc.

So, when you say "they are instead wrapped inside a single custom component", I understand it conceptually but need a few details:

1.  Does this mean I first create the custom component (before doing anything else)?

2.  At what point to I import/load my Photoshop file with all of the layers?

Jim

• 3. Re: How to create an ad banner using Flash Catalyst
              Chris W. Griffith Adobe Community Professional

I think the right path would be to import the PSD, then turn that into the custom component that you will do your animations in.

Good luck.

Chris

• 4. Re: How to create an ad banner using Flash Catalyst
                sangdn Level 1

uhm in this case.

I think you could make it by devide it into 2 sections.

#1: A background image (a rectange in illustrator)

#2: A custom component to do animation.

You handle user click event in background image.

I think it's ok.