6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2011 4:00 PM by CacheTrade

Flash catalyst didn't meet my expectations

GeneralMarketingService

I am no Flash expert nor a Catalyst pro by any means, so this is just my take on an average guy who tried and was less than happy with my results.

I was really hopeful of having a hybrid program that would bridge the gap between the complexities of Flash and my alternatives which have been SwishMax and a few other fill ins.

I found the import PSD function to work well and my start up went fairly well.

I managed my pages just fine and got the structure of my roughly 10 page interactive going ok.

Where i ran into headaches was the transition from page to page.

As i worked within the timeline and transitions windows, I found a lot of inconsistancies.

In several cases items that were on the page did not show in the transitions window

and i had  multiple problems getting items to enter and exit the way i had envisioned.

i would have also wished for more various transition options.

Conceptually i love the idea, but functionally my expectations were not met.

Granted, my trial was on version 1.0..  maybe things are better now.  

But I still love the folks at Adobe and all the products they continue to produce.

• 1. Re: Flash catalyst didn't meet my expectations
          topelovely Level 4

I'll advise you look at some Lynda.com training videos. They could help solve so many challenges you a facing.

• 2. Re: Flash catalyst didn't meet my expectations
            sangdn

Currentlly I just see Catalyst supports "Fade" "Sound" "Move" "Rotate" "Rotate3D" effect.

You could make your custome effect in your code insteead.

Catalyst is just make a simple transition from page to page with a smooth Transition feature.

I am facing many problem with it but I think it's good to make a quick - simple effect.

I see a Action Sequences but I don't find a way to use it too. don't you ?

• 3. Re: Flash catalyst didn't meet my expectations
              GeneralMarketingService Level 1

Thank you for both of your repllies.

Actually I did use the Lynda training which was very helpful, and I pretty much followed their type of model for my project.

But as i said, several of the objects on their own layers did now show up in the transitions window,  this became frustrating and so I chose not to go forward wit the project here.

Regarding the idea to program new transitions.  That is a great option and idea but I think the concept of Catalyst is to simplify the process.

I posted this mostly because I thought the Adobe folks may benefit from the feedback

Regards

• 4. Re: Flash catalyst didn't meet my expectations
                cachefinder Level 1

A lot of the bugs you describe sound similar to what I faced...

For one thing, how you actually move content etc and work the layers can create some unexpected results.  Also you can 'break' past navigations if the navigation is complex enough.

I find that by using transparent button (0:% opacity) with all the needed interactions, and also having nicely layered file at the outset, help a lot.

Learning to (partially) manage the state issue by building custom components correctly is also helping me a lot .

My biggest gripe with the transitions or moving layers etc, is that bulk transitions can't be done at once, and also the layers/library planels do not let you move more than one line-item at a time (say, grabbing a few layres and moving them at once.).I think Catalyst is sort of 'deceptively simple'.

Not sure if that encourages you... or makes it worse!

• 5. mysery loves company
                  GeneralMarketingService Level 1

Hi...and thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your comments and figure there had to be more people than me with some issues.

The program itself is fairly easy to use....and i agree with your various points about fixes as well.

I suppose the Real question is... will Adobe put forth the effort to fix everything, or will they let it fade into the sunset.

I'm willing to try out a new version, but want to wait a little longer   I've gone back to Swishmax4 for my more basic flash projects

but i really miss the Photoshop import feature.  That is a great feature of Catalyst.

• 6. Illustrator...
                    CacheTrade

I love how I can pick out small elements of an illustrator file drawing (like stroke or fill, etc) and attached all kind of info.