21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 22, 2011 9:11 AM by whoaru99 RSS

NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

MJL1973

I have a HP EliteBook 8540w WIN 7 x64 with a Quadro FX 880M card

Regularly my graphics card stops responding with the error message ,” Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 261.28 stopped responding and has successfully recovered”

This usually happens when I am scrolling ( usually with the wheel on my mouse ) in Adobe Acrobat X ( 10.0.1 ) or Mozilla Firefox 4 ( although I suspect the Flash plug-in there ) where Firefox will then crash ( Acrobat doesn't usually crash )

I have spent far too much time searching forums and updating drivers running Windows / HP updates etc and would like some real technical input. I do suspect Adobe ( I have contacted NVIDIA and HP also )  I would hope someone have access to what is actually going on here.

This is example extra info from Windows log

Source
      Windows

Summary
      Video hardware error

Date
      2/14/2011 3:31 PM

Status
      Solution available

Description
      A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
      Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
      OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID:    1033

Extra information about the problem
      BCCode:    117
      BCP1:    FFFFFA8008D8B170
      BCP2:    FFFFF8800552C4A8
      BCP3:    0000000000000000
      BCP4:    0000000000000000
      OS Version:    6_1_7600
      Service Pack:    0_0
      Product:    256_1
      Bucket ID:    X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
      Server information:    e748fac4-7d1e-4372-b6f3-12d2da9d6318

• 1. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
          rubseveni

I'm having the same problems with exactly the same setup.

I noticed however, that this happens only if I have more than one Adobe Acrobat X screen open.

please help,

rubseveni

P.S. Before this problem occured, I used to like firefox, now not anymore.

• 2. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
            Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

The Nvidia unified display drivers are now running at version 266.58, and all users are advised to install the latest build. If the problem persists with the latest drivers, please let us know.

• 3. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
              MJL1973 Community Member

Dave

Thanks muchly for this - I downloaded the Verde Notebook Release 265 ( They're up to Version 267.76 now ). Seems to have done the trick - my usual invoke-crash methods don't seem to be working ( so far ).

Pity this doesn't show up in the Windows or HP update programs. Even the auto search on the Nvidia site still directs you to 261.28. Just enter the pertinent data in the pull down menus to be directed to the latest Verde driver

I also updated my Bios yesterday which shouldn't hurt

HP 8540w Drivers Page

http://tinyurl.com/y69sq2n

Mike

• 4. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                rubseveni Community Member

Hi there,

I updated the driver as you said (version 267.76), but the problem still occurs.

Any other suggestions?

Greetings,

rubseveni

• 5. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

What I get from windows event log:

General:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Details:

-Provider: Display

-EventID: 4101

Level: 3

Task:   0

Keywords: 0x80000000000000

-TimeCreated

Systemtime: 2011-04-05T07:38:29.000000000Z

EventRecordID: 742532

Channel: System

Computer: my computer

Security:

-EventData

Nvlddmkm

If you need anything else, let me know.

Greetings,

Rubsevenois

• 6. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                    Dave Merchant ACP/MVPs

Can you reply with your hardware details ( operating system, model number of the NVIDIA card) and what you were doing at the moment the driver failed?

Event 4101 errors are a known issue running certain NVIDIA hardware on Windows Vista and 7; it's not related to Adobe Reader and as far as I know, nobody's found a definitive fix for it yet - you should read this article from Microsoft about how to tweak the detection and recovery system, but disabling it completely is not advisable as the crash almost always indicates data loss. Letting it happen without checks can lead to all manner of strange effects, especially if you're using CUDA for non-graphical processing.

In general reply, if users are experiencing these types of crash it's notoriously difficult to reproduce them on test machines; so it's really helpful if you turn on Windows Error Reporting and let the thing crash a couple more times. The reports dispatched by WER go not only to Microsoft, but to the hardware and software vendors whose products are involved; it's the only way they can see the exact nature of the bug and engineer a fix.

• 7. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

The problem occurs generally when I have 2 or more pdf's opened (so I have 2 or more windows open) and start scrolling in one of them.

I also noticed that the error seems to occur more often when:

- I scroll fast

- have 'big' files open ( +2MB)

Hardware details: (source, system information windows)

General info:

OS Name     Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version     6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer     Hewlett-Packard

System Model     HP EliteBook 8540w

System Type     x64-based PC

Processor     Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date     Hewlett-Packard 68CVD Ver. F.0C, 15-10-2010

SMBIOS Version     2.6

About display:

Name     NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M

PNP Device ID     PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A3C&SUBSYS_1521103C&REV_A2\4&C64103&0&0018

Adapter Type     Quadro FX 880M, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description     NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M

Adapter RAM     1,00 GB (1.073.741.824 bytes)

Installed Drivers     nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver Version     8.17.12.6776

INF File     oem53.inf (Section014 section)

Driver     c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.12.6776, 12,36 MB (12.963.176 bytes), 5-4-2011 9:03)

A friend of mine having the same model and setup also has the problem. I'm student Aerospace engineering at Delft University of Technology and this model is currently sold in the DUT's high end laptop. A lot of people have them and so I'm a little bit surprised that no-one has heard of the problem yet.

Greetings,

Rubseveni

• 8. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                        Hakz0r

I'm running into this exact issue on my HP EliteBook 8540w with the Quadro FX 880M (driver version 266.58). When I open more than one Adobe PDF file and scroll, the driver crashes. Just noticed there's a 267.76 driver version on the NVIDIA site, I'll give this a shot.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
                        Display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver, version 266.58 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

• 9. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                          Hakz0r Community Member

I just loaded the 267.76 driver and still have the same issue.

• 10. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                            MJL1973 Community Member

At one point someone suggested getting rid of Adobe AIR - this is still uninstalled on my machine and am not seeing the crash ( at the moment - watch this space . . . ). Link to the discussion on the Nvidia forums http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196429. There's a good link to a test pdf which has repeatable 'invoke-crash' properties

• 11. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

Hmm,

Don't think Adobe AIR is the problem because I never had it installed on my machine.

Thanks for the topic, will follow it closely.

Greetings,

rubseveni

• 12. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                MJL1973 Community Member

Am trying to think what else I did . . . I did take all the HP Bloatware off as well in the last week ?!?!

• 13. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

Might work. Any of you already seen this post from HP?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02688107

The symptoms of the described problem are the same, however, HP says the power management is the problem.

Greetings,

rubseveni

• 14. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

I also uninstalled HP bloatware, doesn't work on my machine.

Pain in the *** problem

• 15. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                      MJL1973 Community Member

rubseveni

I'm really sorry I can't make mine crash anymore ( there's famous last words ) . . .  I am trying!

You reminded me of something else I played with . . . in the Power Options -> Advanced Settings  I changed the PCI Express -> Link State Power Management - > Plugged in to OFF ( from Maximum power savings ) . But have just tried putting it back but still didn't crash, sorry! I probably fiddled with something else too but can't remember what - I am intrigued now to find the magic button!

• 16. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                        Hakz0r Community Member

A coworker of mine found that if you disable the "Use 2D graphics acceleration" option in Adobe, the flickering issues when opening more than one PDF goes away. I just tested and this worked for me.

image.jpg

• 17. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                          bomber1946

I have had the same problem for months and have been following this

post for awhile. HakzOr's information about diabeling the 2d accelerator has worked for me. Thank you

Bomber1946

• 18. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

Thanks man! It worked!

@MJL1973, thanks for all the work you put in this thread

Greets,

rubseveni

• 19. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                              MJL1973 Community Member

Good work Hakz0r. Go Team!! Happy Scrolling everyone

Am not opening anymore worm cans but I hadn't turned off 2D Acceleration and still seems to be OK, but 'things that go away by themselves come back by themselves'! So I know which button I'll be pressing next

• 20. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                                miomiu

Cry out for solutions !

I'm running into the same issue on my HP EliteBook 8540w Quadro FX 880 [driver 266.58] and now 270.61, my display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel mode driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered :||

I'm a student

I have to work in Solidworks , Archicad, Artantis...3D stuff,  stiff examination is comming soon

Nothing to be done ?!

• 21. Re: NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding
                                                  whoaru99

I also have HP EliteBook 8540w WIN 7 x64 with a Quadro FX 880M and was getting the same driver crash problem reported in this thread when scrolling pages with multiple Acrobat files open.

Disabling the 2D acceleration setting shown in one of the previous posts seems to have resolved (or at least masked) the issue for me.