Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NVIDIA Display Driver Stopped Responding

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2011 Mar 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a HP EliteBook 8540w WIN 7 x64 with a Quadro FX 880M card

Regularly my graphics card stops responding with the error message ,” Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 261.28 stopped responding and has successfully recovered”

This usually happens when I am scrolling ( usually with the wheel on my mouse ) in Adobe Acrobat X ( 10.0.1 ) or Mozilla Firefox 4 ( although I suspect the Flash plug-in there ) where Firefox will then crash ( Acrobat doesn't usually crash )

I have spent far too much time searching forums and updating drivers running Windows / HP updates etc and would like some real technical input. I do suspect Adobe ( I have contacted NVIDIA and HP also )  I would hope someone have access to what is actually going on here.

This is example extra info from Windows log

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
‎2/‎14/‎2011 3:31 PM

Status
Solution available

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID:    1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode:    117
BCP1:    FFFFFA8008D8B170
BCP2:    FFFFF8800552C4A8
BCP3:    0000000000000000
BCP4:    0000000000000000
OS Version:    6_1_7600
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    256_1
Bucket ID:    X64_0x117_Tdr:2_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys
Server information:    e748fac4-7d1e-4372-b6f3-12d2da9d6318

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems with exactly the same setup.

I noticed however, that this happens only if I have more than one Adobe Acrobat X screen open.

please help,

rubseveni

P.S. Before this problem occured, I used to like firefox, now not anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Nvidia unified display drivers are now running at version 266.58, and all users are advised to install the latest build. If the problem persists with the latest drivers, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave

Thanks muchly for this - I downloaded the Verde Notebook Release 265 ( They're up to Version 267.76 now ). Seems to have done the trick - my usual invoke-crash methods don't seem to be working ( so far ).

Pity this doesn't show up in the Windows or HP update programs. Even the auto search on the Nvidia site still directs you to 261.28. Just enter the pertinent data in the pull down menus to be directed to the latest Verde driver

I also updated my Bios yesterday which shouldn't hurt

HP 8540w Drivers Page

http://tinyurl.com/y69sq2n

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I updated the driver as you said (version 267.76), but the problem still occurs.

Any other suggestions?

Greetings,

rubseveni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I get from windows event log:

General:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Details:

-Provider: Display

-EventID: 4101

Level: 3

Task: 0

Keywords: 0x80000000000000

-TimeCreated

Systemtime: 2011-04-05T07:38:29.000000000Z

EventRecordID: 742532

Channel: System

Computer: my computer

Security:

-EventData

Nvlddmkm

If you need anything else, let me know.

Greetings,

Rubsevenois

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you reply with your hardware details ( operating system, model number of the NVIDIA card) and what you were doing at the moment the driver failed?

Event 4101 errors are a known issue running certain NVIDIA hardware on Windows Vista and 7; it's not related to Adobe Reader and as far as I know, nobody's found a definitive fix for it yet - you should read this article from Microsoft about how to tweak the detection and recovery system, but disabling it completely is not advisable as the crash almost always indicates data loss. Letting it happen without checks can lead to all manner of strange effects, especially if you're using CUDA for non-graphical processing.

In general reply, if users are experiencing these types of crash it's notoriously difficult to reproduce them on test machines; so it's really helpful if you turn on Windows Error Reporting and let the thing crash a couple more times. The reports dispatched by WER go not only to Microsoft, but to the hardware and software vendors whose products are involved; it's the only way they can see the exact nature of the bug and engineer a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs generally when I have 2 or more pdf's opened (so I have 2 or more windows open) and start scrolling in one of them.

I also noticed that the error seems to occur more often when:

- I scroll fast

- have 'big' files open ( +2MB)

Hardware details: (source, system information windows)

General info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard

System Model HP EliteBook 8540w

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard 68CVD Ver. F.0C, 15-10-2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

About display:

Name NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A3C&SUBSYS_1521103C&REV_A2\4&C64103&0&0018

Adapter Type Quadro FX 880M, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M

Adapter RAM 1,00 GB (1.073.741.824 bytes)

Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver Version 8.17.12.6776

INF File oem53.inf (Section014 section)

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.12.6776, 12,36 MB (12.963.176 bytes), 5-4-2011 9:03)

A friend of mine having the same model and setup also has the problem. I'm student Aerospace engineering at Delft University of Technology and this model is currently sold in the DUT's high end laptop. A lot of people have them and so I'm a little bit surprised that no-one has heard of the problem yet.

Greetings,

Rubseveni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into this exact issue on my HP EliteBook 8540w with the Quadro FX 880M (driver version 266.58). When I open more than one Adobe PDF file and scroll, the driver crashes. Just noticed there's a 267.76 driver version on the NVIDIA site, I'll give this a shot.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
Display driver nvidia windows kernel mode driver, version 266.58 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just loaded the 267.76 driver and still have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At one point someone suggested getting rid of Adobe AIR - this is still uninstalled on my machine and am not seeing the crash ( at the moment - watch this space . . . ). Link to the discussion on the Nvidia forums http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196429. There's a good link to a test pdf which has repeatable 'invoke-crash' properties

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm,

Don't think Adobe AIR is the problem because I never had it installed on my machine.

Thanks for the topic, will follow it closely.

Greetings,

rubseveni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am trying to think what else I did . . . I did take all the HP Bloatware off as well in the last week ?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might work. Any of you already seen this post from HP?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02688107

The symptoms of the described problem are the same, however, HP says the power management is the problem.

Greetings,

rubseveni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also uninstalled HP bloatware, doesn't work on my machine.

Pain in the ass problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rubseveni

I'm really sorry I can't make mine crash anymore ( there's famous last words ) . . .  I am trying!

You reminded me of something else I played with . . . in the Power Options -> Advanced Settings  I changed the PCI Express -> Link State Power Management - > Plugged in to OFF ( from Maximum power savings ) . But have just tried putting it back but still didn't crash, sorry! I probably fiddled with something else too but can't remember what - I am intrigued now to find the magic button!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A coworker of mine found that if you disable the "Use 2D graphics acceleration" option in Adobe, the flickering issues when opening more than one PDF goes away. I just tested and this worked for me.

image.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man! It worked!

@MJL1973, thanks for all the work you put in this thread

Greets,

rubseveni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good work Hakz0r. Go Team!! Happy Scrolling everyone

Am not opening anymore worm cans but I hadn't turned off 2D Acceleration and still seems to be OK, but 'things that go away by themselves come back by themselves'! So I know which button I'll be pressing next

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem for months and have been following this

post for awhile. HakzOr's information about diabeling the 2d accelerator has worked for me. Thank you

Bomber1946

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2011 May 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cry out for solutions !

I'm running into the same issue on my HP EliteBook 8540w Quadro FX 880 [driver 266.58] and now 270.61, my display driver Nvidia Windows Kernel mode driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered :||

I'm a student

I have to work in Solidworks , Archicad, Artantis...3D stuff,  stiff examination is comming soon

Nothing to be done ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have HP EliteBook 8540w WIN 7 x64 with a Quadro FX 880M and was getting the same driver crash problem reported in this thread when scrolling pages with multiple Acrobat files open.

Disabling the 2D acceleration setting shown in one of the previous posts seems to have resolved (or at least masked) the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines