9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 10:33 AM by joe bloe premiere

importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence

badco74

When you edit a sequence in 512 and want to render out in 1080...do you have to make a new 1080p sequence, then imoprt the 512 and  render it out for full 1080 quality?  Also, if you don't render your files, does this prolong the export process in Encore?  Basically what I'm asking is are rendered files only for playback purposes?

• 1. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

..imoprt the 512 and  render it out for full 1080 quality?

512 is never going to be 1080 quality.

You should edit with a sequence setting that matches your source footage,

and then do any up-res in your export settings.

Also, if you don't render your files, does this prolong the export process in Encore?

No.

Basically what I'm asking is are rendered files only for playback purposes?

Yes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence
            badco74 Level 1

Hey joe,

The last two answers you gave were very clear... but as far as the 512 question, I thought if you edited 4k red footage in a 512 sequence you could just import it into a 1080p sequence and it would translate into whatever new sequence setting you chose?  Did I misunderstand the training video for adobe when that Dave guy said you could edit in 512 based on the limitations of your sytem and then throw the footage into a 1080 or 4k sequence for final output?

• 3. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Did I misunderstand the training video for adobe when that Dave guy said you could edit in 512 based on the limitations of your sytem and then throw the footage into a 1080 or 4k sequence for final output?

Yes, you misunderstood.

It sounds like what you were watching was a description of how to work with low-resolution proxies while making editing decisions and then replacing those with high-resolution assets for conforming and final output.

As joe bloe said... If you start with an image that is only 512 pixels tall, then you are not going to get good quality when you try to scale it to 1080 pixels tall. To scale an image up, the computer has to make up image information for the new pixels. That can work reasonably well for small increases in size, but you're referring to an instance where more than half of the pixels in each dimension would be made up.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence
                Harm Millaard Level 7

I get the feeling you intend proxy editing, use low rez during editing and then replacing the low rez footage with high rez before export. If that is the case, you need a directory with the low rez clips in it and another directory with all the high rez clips, but otherwise the exact same clip names. After you finish editing, save and close your project, rename the low rez directory so PR can't find your low rez clips when opening and then, when asked, point PR to the high rez directory and clips. They will all be replaced.

Is that what you intended?

• 5. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence

Harm / Todd,

Ok.  Now I am confused.
                  I have not worked a RED project since I moved from CS4 to CS5.

In CS4, using the REDCODE CS4 Win 1.3.msi add-on,
                  the Source Settings menu has the option of setting a proxy editing
                  resolution (Full, Half HQ, Half quick, Quarter, Eighth, Sixteenth).
                  You can edit at a proxy res, then reset the resolution to "Full"
                  prior to final encoding / export.

CS4 R3D Source Settings:

RED_SOURCE_CS4.png

In CS5, the Source Settings menu does not seem to have
                  an option for setting a proxy resolution for editing.
                  Am I missing something?

CS5 R3D Source Settings:

RED_SOURCE_CS5.png

• 6. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence
                    badco74 Level 1

Harm/ todd/ joe/

O.k. this might really confuse you but...I started with 4k red footage in a 512 red sequence, then brought it into a 1080 red sequence (mind you this is cs4).  Everthing seemed to go well, the footage looked great, the 512 was interpeted as 1080 I'm sure of that, but when I tried to open the whole project into cs5, thats where the trouble started.  Some of the nested sequences translated great, but a few of them looked like 512 again.  I tried re rendering but nothing worked.  Now I think I'm stuck and have to just finish the film in cs4 on a computer with less power.  I was hoping to take advantage of the mercury playback engine on my new computer with cs5 for clor correction and effects.  $800 on cs5 seems like a bad investment now, at least for this project.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

• 7. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence

I started with 4k red footage in a 512 red sequence

Did you use the Source Settings menu in CS4 (see above image)

to set your 4K footage proxy resolution to "Eighth" (512x288),
                      then create a 512x288 sequence to match the proxy settings?

then brought it into a 1080 red sequence

If the answer to the above question is yes, am I correct to assume
                      you copied and pasted the proxy resolution media from your
                      512x288 proxy resolution sequence to your 1920x1080 sequence
                      then used the "Scale to Frame Size" command?

Some of the nested sequences translated great, but a few of them looked like 512 again.

If you did use the Source Settings menu in CS4 to set your 4K footage
                      proxy resolution to "Eighth" (512x288) for editing in CS4, did you then go
                      back and reset the 4K resolution to "Full", save the project, quit application
                      and reopen project to apply settings to all clips before trying to open the
                      project in CS5?

Edit:
                      My 4K workflow in CS4 was to use a full 4096x2304 sequence setting
                      with proxy resolution media Source Settings, and "Scale to Frame Size".

After editing is completed I would return to media Source Settings,
                      set the resolution to full, save, exit, reopen and render.

• 8. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence
                        badco74 Level 1

Joe thats a tricky one...I've been working on this full length feature for a year and the workflow is a bit messy...I don't have screen shots but this is basically what I did:

started with 512 proxy settingsfor RED in the sequence settings not source...I made my edits, added fast color and some motion then rendered for good playback.  Next I would start a new sequence in the same project with 1080 settings for RED.  I would then drag the 512 sequence in from the project panel, SCALE TO FRAME SIZE and re-render.  It seemed to work great.  After adding several more 512 sequences I realized I could just do all my editing in the 1080 sequence as my computer seem to handle playback fine in full resolution.  So in the end my 1080 'master sequence' is mixed with 512 sequences that were re-cut, deleted, added to, rendered, re-rendered and so on.  I would occasionally export the whole timeline in MPEG DVD to show people and it all looked even.  I would even watch the whole timeline in the preview monitor at full 1080 full res. and it all looked great.  Like I said though, cs5 does not seem to like my messy workflow and  won't read SOME of those 512 proxy sequences as 1080 with the rest of the timeline.  Does any of this make sense?

• 9. Re: importing a 512 sequence into a 1080p sequence

I have never migrated a RED project from CS4 to CS5,

so I can't help you with that.

I would finish the project in CS4.