8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 7:04 AM by QL16

How to experiment at no cost?

QL16

I was trying to learn how the features of the form services attend my needs to place a test to my students. And I did a couple of forms and was cut off. What I want to do is to create a simple test and then grade my students out of that. The grading procedure has three options true, false or don't know. If the response fits the pattern the respondent gains one point, if it fails to match it looses half point and if they don't the grade is zero for that question.

Is there a possibility to figure out if the tool fit my needs with out having to pay to do that....?

• 1. Re: How to experiment at no cost?
          bob.treitman Employee Moderator

Our Free account allows you to create a single form and collect up to 50 responses on it. If you have already created one form, you can delete it and start a new one.

You can add columns to the Results table that would contain the true answers and then you could add columns that would have formulas like:

IF(A=B,1,-0.5). Where A is the column with the correct answer and B is one with the student's answer. Is this what you are trying to do?

The formula would get a little more complex with the "Don't Know" option, but it's doable by nesting the IF() statements.

• 2. Re: How to experiment at no cost?
            QL16 Level 1

Bob,

that's really of great help I'll go back, delete previous form and follow

recommended steps.

thanks THANKS so very much!!!

Guillermo

• 3. Re: How to experiment at no cost?

If you need help on writing the formula, take a look through our help docs.

If you still can't figure out how to do it, give a holler here telling us where you got stuck.

• 4. Re: How to experiment at no cost?
                QL16 Level 1

Bob,

It is pretty reassuring to get such an incredible response and prompt help!

I'll report my progress on this by Saturday, April 9th (I need to make this

kind of reminders for myself...to make sure that I get new things going!!)

Guillermo

• 5. Re: How to experiment at no cost?
                  QL16 Level 1

I re did my form with one question with three choices of response ... like this...

The color of the white horse of Napoleon was white:

a) true

b) false

c) blank

meaning if the response is true the respondent gains one point, if false it looses minus 0.5 points and if the response is blank the result is zero.

1) how to insert the function that will allow to get those kinds of results ... I guess I need to use a double nested IF right?

2) where to place the pattern of response to be compared with respondent choice?

3) how to place a list of e-mails to send the form to?

4) would the system generates a personalized link for each of the forms to be sent to its destinataries?

Guillermo

• 6. Re: How to experiment at no cost?

You could do it with a nested if statement, or with an additional column/field in the Responses table.

Here's one way to do it:

https://formscentral.acrobat.com?d=gwdpBdAjJELR0apCACn8ag

If you view the responses, you'll see that I added two columns (D and E) to the table that was automatically created as part of the form.

Column C holds the respondent's Answer

Column D holds the correct answer (in this case 'True').

Column E tests to see if the responder's answer is blank (""), in which case the value is 0, or if it matches the Correct Answer (in which case it's 1), otherwise it's -0.5).

= IF(C = "", 0, if(C = D, 1, -.5))

In other words:

if Answer is blank,

then 0,

else,

If Answer=Correct,

then 1,

else -0.5,

endif

endif

• 7. Re: How to experiment at no cost?
                      QL16 Level 1

Bob,

Indeed I saw the what you did and the formula indeed works.

I realize that as a consequence of the responses a form is created with the

output of the survey, and then you include the required columns to treat the

output content in this case with a response pattern and a formula to do the

grading. So that's powerful and I don't need to do it on the spreadsheet.

I guess I am not familiar yet with the mechanisms yet that moves from the

form I already created to the reach the output form. How to do to test

responding the questions and afterworth find the location of the output

form?

Next issue... I suppose I can apply a list of e-mails to distribute the

questionnaire, but could the links be personalized?

thanks again for your wonderful help,

Guillermo

• 8. Re: How to experiment at no cost?
                        QL16 Level 1

Bob,

I just created a link and pasted, but I need to send that to over 50 people

and I would like to send a personalized link to each of them and to send all

the messages at one time...?

and that I could not find the way of doing... is there a way?

Guillermo

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Guillermo Asper y Valdes <