13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2011 7:26 AM by the_wine_snob

burn to dvd

lcosta72

hey guys

I hava a problem burning my dvd on pe9.

when i try to burn a dvd the burn process starts but when the program is encoding the media the burn process stops in the middle. sometime at 52% some others it goes a litle further, but never raches the 100, no matter if I burn to disk or to folder.

this is my second project. I had no problems with the first. but now I don't seam to be able to solve this

can you help, please?

• 1. Re: burn to dvd
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>no matter if I burn to disk or to folder

How many drives, and how much space is left?

• 2. Re: burn to dvd
            lcosta72 Level 1

plenty of space, more than 900gb

1 hard drive cd-dvd burner.

does the red line on the timeline mean anything?

i also tried to create a mpg file to see on a pc and at about 62% it stopped. I had to force the program to quit.

I read on this forum that the menu markers must be the cause. I took them off and I'm trying to make another file

• 3. Re: burn to dvd
              nealeh Level 5

Before doing anything else work through these tips: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

lcosta72 wrote:

does the red line on the timeline mean anything?

Has the red line been there all the time? If so it means that your initial project preset did not match the footage. If it was not there originally then your preset is correct. While editing your video you will see red lines appear as you add effects and transitions. If you need to see an improved preview during editing you can press enter and PRE will render the clips affected and the line will go green. However you do not have to perform this step to burn a disk (although you can try it anyway by pressing [Enter]).

lcosta72 wrote:

I read on this forum that the menu markers must be the cause. I took them off and I'm trying to make another file

The problem with the markers is if you put a stop marker at the very end of your timeline. Menu markers ought not be a problem.

One frequent cause of this type of problem is if you have gaps in the timeline. These can happen without you necessarily noticing should you, say, drag a clip to a different part of the timeline. A good workaround to test for this problem is to create a title on an  empty track, delete its contents and stretch it to cover your entire  project duration. Then try your burn. If this works then you need to check your timeline for gaps:

• press the [\] key to fit your entire timeline to the width of your screen display
              • Press the [PageDown] key to move from one clip to the next - watch the CTI carefully as you do this.
              • If the CTI does not appear to move zoom in on that area. You may find a gap, perhaps just a single frame. If it exists close it.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: burn to dvd
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Neale's tips, take a look at this ARTICLE on Transcoding failure.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: burn to dvd
                  lcosta72 Level 1

hello again

I tried all that and no results.

I also tried to delete all the titles and songs on the project - then tried to crate an mpeg file with different settings, pal, secam....

the result: error compiling movie - unknown error

or multiplexing has failed, please recheck the settings and try again

the settings in this case were: mpeg2 dvd   frame size 720x576   tv standard PAL

Message was edited by: lcosta72

• 6. Re: burn to dvd
                    nealeh Level 5

You haven't yet provided the information requested in the link I gave you in Response 3. Without that information it is pretty difficult to help. But, to see if the problem is with PRE or something else, try this simple test:

1. Create a new project with the PAL> DV> Standard 48kHz preset
                    2. In Edit> Titles drag one of the titles (e.g. blueNotes_List) to Video 1 and stretch its duration to five seconds. No need to edit the text.
                    3. Use Share> Disc> Folder to burn this project to a folder.
                    4. Play the file with whatever DVD Player software you have.

Does it work?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: burn to dvd
                      Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

This is usually caused by not clarifing "Working Area " or not "Entire Sequence" on the timeline ?

• 8. Re: burn to dvd
                        lcosta72 Level 1

hi,

my project settings is this:

dvd standard 48 khz

editting mode: quicktime dvd pal

timebase:25,00 fps

video settings

frame size 720h 576 v (1,094)

frame rate 25,00 fps

pixel aspect ratio d1/dvd pal 1,0940

fields lower fields first

audio settings

sample rate 48000 samples second

when I'm burnig to folder the process has 3 fases:

encoding menu 1

encoding menu 2

encoding media

the first two - no problem, but when it is encoding the media it stops sometimes 33 some others  at 55%. then I have to exit the program

I tried to take out the menus and the audio and the same problem occurs.

I tried to split the video into two parts and make separate video files so I could make a new movie by using the two parts together and make a dvd  but in the middle of the process the program crashes.

this is not the first movie I make with the very same settings and I had no problems.

I made a new test and created a new project with a 25 seconds text and it burnt to folder perfectly fine

I double checked for empty spaces on the timeline, found none

what else should I try?

tks for your patience

• 9. Re: burn to dvd
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, the Project Preset looks fine, for that source material. You have checked for gaps, and found none in the Video Track.

I would investigate what is on the Timeline, at the points that the Transcoding fails. As PrE uses 2-pass Transcoding, that means that 100% of the process is two passes of the Timeline, hence 50% of the Transcode process is the completition of the first pass. There is a bit of math involved, when dealing with a % of the total process, but one can get pretty close with that simple math.

Look at those points carefully. Do you have an odd Asset there? Do you have an overly large still image there? Do you have MP3 Audio there?

Also, look at how much defragmented, free space you have on your destination disc.

As you can see, there are several possibilities, that could cause a Transcoding failure, so some detective work will likely be required. Go slowly, check everything very carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: burn to dvd
                            lcosta72 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I checked the timeline over and over again, I decided to create a text, as I was advised to do, that had the length of the project in order to "cover" any gap in the timeline and I had the same problem while encoding media.

I decided to make the movie by parts. first I took out all the video, ie I left the songs and titles that I had on the project and I easily could create the dvd. than, I made a copy of the original project and took out everything but the video part. I rendered it and the red line turned green, then I decided to give it another try, unfortunately the same error occurred. this time the encoding media stopped at 24%.

there are no overlay videos.

as far as fragmentation is concerned, I use a Mac. I don't know if it fragments or how to defragment.

I don't have partitions, only one disk 1tb for system, programs and storing files.

now I'm trying to cut the timeline into parts and make smaller movies and if I succeed than I will make the whole movie by putting all the movies on the timeline and make the chapters than.

If I succeed, is there any quality loss? 

• 11. Re: burn to dvd
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I rendered it and the red line turned green, then I decided to give it another try, unfortunately the same error occurred. this time the encoding media stopped at 24%. There are no overlay videos.

This would indicate that at about the half-way point in the Timeline, there is an issue around the 50% area, based on the 2-pass Transcode used by PrE. Is there anything different in the source material at that point, or very near by?

As for fragmentation on a Mac, I cannot help you, being a PC-only guy. However, how much free space do you have on your HDD?

One can certainly break up a longer Timeline, and Export (to MOV on the Mac, and to DV-AVI on the PC), and then assemble those into a new Project. The loss in quality is very, very slight, and should never be seen. This is often used with very long Timelines and limited resources. This FAQ Entry (though written in the days, when PrE was PC-only) gives the instructions. Just substitute DV-MOV for DV-AVI.

If you can Export/Share the segments fine, then you should not have issues with the assembly Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: burn to dvd
                                lcosta72 Level 1

finally solved.

hi guys

although none of your tips solved my problems directly, you have been a great help. thank you so much for your time.

the problem with my movie is that I have been working films made by amateurs with old video cameras and the quality of some parts were so low that a few seconds, not more than 10 in a footage of 35 minutes, were not being recognized by the program. So when it was encoding it stopped in the middle of the process.

hard to find but it is done.

thanks a lot to you all

• 13. Re: burn to dvd
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Success is a beautiful thing, but sometimes it's rather elusive. Sorry that you had to do so much work to get things sorted out.

Thanks for reporting your success and sticking with the detective process. Your efforts will likely help others in the future, when they encounter a similar problem.

Good luck,

Hunt