3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 8:43 AM by Dave LaRonde

My sound, sounds hollow. Help. :-)

CrisuKomie

I work at the local CBS affilate in my town, and we're shooting a commercial for our new news App on the Ipad.

We have one of our news anchor saying "up to date local news on the tv, web, iphon, android, and now your ipad".

The video that was provided for me sounds great. It was shot with a brand new HD camera, with studio sound. Basically perfect sounds.

Then I throw the video into after effects, green screen it out and toss in some animation for various company logos and render it with sound. When I go to view my render, her voice sounds very very hollow. Nothing like what was in the original footage.

I've tried everything, adding audio effects and playing with the settings. I've tried rendering it at different frequencies. I've tried rendering just the audio and nothing seems to work. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

How do I get the normal audio from the footage and not whatever is coming out after the render?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: My sound, sounds hollow. Help. :-)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure you have the audio set to 48KHz, 16 Bit and Uncompressed in the output module. That should solve your problem.

audioSettings.png

• 2. Re: My sound, sounds hollow. Help. :-)
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In addition to what Rick said, it might be worth to open the file in Soundbooth and convert the sample rate and bit depth of the source fiel as well as flattening the audio tracks. What you describe sounds very much like 24bit audio which AE can't handle properly...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: My sound, sounds hollow. Help. :-)
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Why bother rendering audio AT ALL?

I work at the ABC affiliate in my town, and when I render out of AE, I never render out the audio.  I only use audio for reference.  As long as you know what you're doing when you edit and export the green screen shots from your NLE, you shouldn't have any problems. 

If you want to make double-dog sure you get the lip-sync right,  give yourself 10-frame (29.97) or 20-frame (59.94) handles on the shot at the head and tail.  Then if the sync is off -- but it shouldn't be -- it's a simple matter to slide the rendered video file one way or the other in your NLE.