7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2011 1:09 AM by mancunian_nick

Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?

mancunian_nick

Hello everyone

I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) and was using Adobe Reader 10 X but found I was unable to read my older .pdf files by double-clicking them as the wrong program's icon was linked to them. No problem I thought so I right clicked on a .pdf file and tried using the open with but the 2 programs listed in the default were both wrong and not Adobe Reader plus the 16 alternates underneath, none of which were reader either. No matter I thought so I used browse and sent myself to C:\Program Files (x86)\AdobeReader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe and pressed ok but it still didn't enter the list! Weird.

Spent some hours trying to find a solution by searching a popular search engine (yes the G one lol) and I managed to find a couple mentioning fiddling around with the registery which I was hesitant about but eventually did and now the only difference is that the 2 default programs previously listed had now gone but the other 16 are still there (still none for Adobe Reader!) and still browsing/adding doesn't work.

I have now just about reached the stage where I'm ready to pull my hair out in frustration. Can anyone help/advise with this please? I don't understand it at all. I have now gone back and am currently using Reader 9.4.3, although it still won't show up on the "open with" list etc.

One last thing and this is strange (to me at least) but if I open Adobe Reader and then use its "open" feature to open one of the same aforementioned .pdf files, it opens it just fine. It's when trying to open the file(s) directly by double clicking them or using open or open with that's causing the problem.

Thank you in anticipation

Nick

• 1. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Try going to Edit - Preferences - General and click the Select Default PDF Handler.

• 2. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
            mancunian_nick Level 1

Hello Try67. Many thanks for the help/suggestion. Unfortunately Adobe Reader 9.4.3 doesn't have the "Select Default PDF Handler" option anywhere that I can see. Infact I did a search and found at http://support.dtsearch.com/dts0166.htm

"For now the best workaround is to install Adobe Reader   9 and, if you also have Acrobat X installed, to make Adobe Reader 9 the   "Default PDF Handler" for PDF files.  To change this setting,   open Adobe Acrobat X, click Edit >   Preferences > General, and click the Select   Default PDF Handler button at the bottom of the dialog box."

The problem with that is that I'm not running Acrobat, just Reader. I've searched through every option under Edit>Preferences>General to no avail.

Any other suggestions and as I only use the free Adobe Reader, is there a free Acrobat option as well? I thought Acrobat was a commercial program, even for home users?

Please can you advise/help further please? Thank you kindly. Nick.

PS time moves on a little and I was just looking at "set associations" under control panel and notice that for .pdx and .pdfxml extensions, Adobe Reader 9.3 *IS* listed as the default program yet not for .pdf ones. How strange. Wonder if I've screwed up that setting in the registry or something the other day when I was trying to fix it with Regedit? Only problem is my knowledge of the registry settings and how to imput stuff is negligable. If you have any suggestions with regard to that, they're going to have to be pretty basic and "lead me by the hand" type please.

Thanks again.

Message was edited by: mancunian_nick

• 3. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
              MasBulder

You can try the following:

right click on the item you want to open.

Then select open with: then select default program.

Then you browse to your new Adobe Reader executable, and set the always use this program checkbox.

should do the trick.

Regards,

Mas

• 4. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
                mancunian_nick Level 1

Hello Mas

Many thanks for the suggestion. Sadly I've done all the obvious things (I'm not a computer newbie but fairly experienced, although my technical knowledge isn't all it's cracked up to be) including this but sadly it doesn't work for some reason. I've tried adding it over and over and over again in the hope that one last time and it will work but no such luck. I'm really running out of ideas now. This just doesn't make sense to me at all. <sigh>

I do remember having a similar problem a long time ago (can't remember when exactly) and I did something and fixed it but it was so long ago, I simply can't remember what it was I did.

Thanks anyway. If you have any other suggestions, I'm happy to try them.

• 5. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
                  mancunian_nick Level 1

Just for the record - I installed Adobe Reader X (10.0.1?) and tried the other suggestion of using the Select as Default Handler as someone kindly suggested. Unfortunately that didn't work either. In frustration, once again I decided to look for and install a different .pdf reader and after Googling, thought I'd try one called Foxit Reader. Free to use and quick/easy to install. Checked and it's there as the default reader without any problem at all. I can now right click and use open with or double click or any other means of opening a file and it opens first time. I'd suggest there's a serious problem somewhere with Adobe Reader! Either that or inexplicably and coincidently, there's a different unknown problem with my computer? But I'd have thought if that were true, Foxit wouldn't have worked either but it did.

Anyway never did fix this problem with Adobe Reader but I have, at least, fixed it by a different means. If anyone else can help with this, however, I would still love to know because I'm sure there has to be a way for Adobe's reader to work and be recognised by Win7 (64 bit). Just a matter of finding out what it is.

Thanks to anyone who can help point me in the right direction. At least now it's a mission of discovery rather than one of necessity.

Thanks again in anticipation.

Nick

• 6. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
                    Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Nick, I think you are too optimistic. Judging by what happens in these forums, Adobe couln't care less about this problem.

• 7. Re: Opening .pdf files with Adobe Reader?
                      mancunian_nick Level 1

Yes, I think you're right about that, Claudio. Judging from the amount of people experiencing this problem, you'd think they'd at least want to know what's gone wrong, wouldn't you? And why! Obviously they don't and that's extremely surprising. Oh well.

Thanks, Nick.