6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2007 5:13 PM by bearrock

Linking to a new "page"

bearrock
      I invested in a flash template for a new website "look". Unlike working in html where you have different page names saved as lets say .html I am looking at Flash v8 and in the Library is a movie clip called "pages" that show all the additional pages that the template has. The "page" I'm working with now is called page1 copy. Does anyone know how I would link that "page" to a button on the home page?

Also, is there any function in Flash v8 that will allow me to duplicate a page??? Thanks for your time
      The website I'm working on is at: www.thecalicoband.com
        • 1. Re: Linking to a new "page"
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          a "page" in the library will not be visible in your published file unless it's brought to the stage, either manually in the authoring environment (click on it and drag the window at the top of the library onto the stage) or with actionscript.

which are you doing?

you can duplicate a page in the authoring environment by right clicking a library item and clicking duplicate or you can use actionscript, if it's a movieclip.
          • 2. Re: Linking to a new "page"
            bearrock Level 1
            Frankly I'm not sure of what I'm doing. I'm used to Dreamweaver and this is a whole different animal. I'm frankly just winging it and going down fast.
            • 3. Re: Linking to a new "page"
              akiva.kent Level 1
              If you're new to Flash, the best thing is to:

1) Look at how they did things already with things in the template. Since you bought the template, you're going to edit it anyway.

2) Use the help file to look at samples and tutorials

3) Google "flash forums" and search for tutorials

4) To "copy:" an item, you right-click in the library and pick duplicate. You give it a name that makes sense to what it does - not movie copy1. You have to use the property tab to create a new instance name for it or else what you do to it will happen to all the other instances of this movie.

5) Go to your public library and take out some books on flash! Even Flash MX is good for beginners.

6) Basically, you're probably going to use actionscript to create an empty movie and have your new thing replace the empty movie. You have to put the empty movie on the stage though. Make sure that your empty movie is the size that you want your replacement to be. You can use the transform tool to do that your or change the size in the property window.
              • 4. Re: Linking to a new "page"
                bearrock Level 1
                Thanks for your time. What I can't seem to find out is: What is the code in the action script that shows the link that tthe button is working with? Also, the names of these pages arent like the usual contact_us.html. I only see page names in the Library that say page1 copy, etc. How will the code look with this type of name. If this is not the real name of the file, where do I find the real name????: Can you decipher this code for me???

onClipEvent (load) {
                total = _root.getBytesTotal();
                }
                onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
                loaded = _root.getBytesLoaded();
                percent = int(loaded/total*100);
                text = percent+"%";
                gotoAndStop(percent);
                if (loaded == total) {
                _root.gotoAndPlay(2);
                }
                }
                Is the page name in there anywhere? If not, where would it go? Can you give me an example?
                • 5. Re: Linking to a new "page"
                  kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  that's preloader code and has nothing to do with navigation.
                  • 6. Re: Linking to a new "page"
                    bearrock Level 1
                    See why I am so lost. I cant even find it in a book.