6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2011 3:34 AM by Bases Loaded

Hard Drive Numbering Question

Bases Loaded Level 1

Question for the pro’s about Actual hard drive numbers in new system setup:

This new system I have had put together arrived today and I have a few questions and concerns…

At this point nothing is installed except Win-7 pro & Nvidia card drivers..

I have just noticed that they have my C: drive (system Drive) listed as Drive #2

My other 3 drives which will be used for Premier as work drives / scratch disks etc / are numbered  #0, #1, #3…

Should I re-patch the cables to the mother board so the system drive is drive #0 / that would be the only way to change the actual drive numbering setup, correct.

If I re-patch the cables at this point so the current system drive #2 becomes Drive #0 could this cause any "program access problems" or boot problems.  (I understand I will have to change the boot order to boot from drive #0 after I do this..

Does the drive numbering really make any difference.

I might be adding a raid setup later& a few more drives  / I thought I should ask now before I go any further and have to start all over again ?

Thanks Folks / are you out there Harm ?

• 1. Re: Hard Drive Numbering Question
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

KeepEmStraight wrote:

Does the drive numbering really make any difference.

Thanks Folks / are you out there Harm ?

No difference at all.my third place PPBM5 score the OS/Applictions are on Drive 2

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Ah ha for once I beat Harm!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hard Drive Numbering Question
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Here I am.

It makes no difference at all. In my system my boot disk is seen as #2, disk #0 is my drive B, disk #1 is my drive A , disk #3 is my drive D and disk #4 is my drive E. You can reorganize your cables to reflect a sequence 0 to x, but it seems like a waste of time. It has no impact at all.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Hard Drive Numbering Question
              Bases Loaded Level 1

Thanks Harm /

I thought  you might be out there, 7 am here and I am just callin it wuits for tonight / another all nighter here.

I just wanted to be sure it would have no impact down the road when I get to raid setup.

Question about the Quadro drivers:

On the CD they have drivers which I did not install at this point / they said they were some kind of accelleration drivers for CAD graphics work..

Should I also install these ?

Also:

Did not install NVIDIA HD Audio Drivers thinking they might conflict with Premier or the Audio drivers for the Gigabyte UAD-5 motherboard.

Think I would only need those if I were connecting to a HD TV Display and I wanted the audio to travel with those conncetions ?

Any feedback on those topics ?

Thanks Much !

• 4. Re: Hard Drive Numbering Question
                Bases Loaded Level 1

A thank's to you also Bill for the fastest reply / I forgot to mention you in my last post on this topic.

• 5. Re: Hard Drive Numbering Question
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I would just download the latest drivers from the nVidia site.

• 6. Re: Hard Drive Numbering Question
                    Bases Loaded Level 1

Just wanted to report that the latest drivers for the Quadro 4000 have some issues / I had to roll back to the version which came with the card for now

The latest version drivers cause the NVIDIA control pannel to not open, this version seems to have just been released a few days ago so perhaps this will soon be corrected...

Nothing seems to work as avdertised these days / sure hope I do not have an endless string of problems with CS5 as I did with CS4, especially after buying two new Core I7 systems to run Premier on in less than 1 1/2 years..  I going broke here.  :-)