6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2011 9:48 AM by ivatt2

What happened to Adobe?

maximusdm

I've been using adobe products for the past 12 years.  Instead of a product getting better, I've only seen it get worse.

Reader V10 doesn't open .pdf from IE or firefox

I can't print to a network printer
      I actually had to drop back to 9.4.3 to get my problems fixed.

Where is the quality assurance here?  Does this department even exist within the alls of Adobe?

I don't know about anyone else, but the download manager is not that great, plus for a while they were forcing McAfee Security Scan on you without permission, and no notification that it was doing so.

They were forcing updates on you in version 9(as in you couldn't disable updates).

You can't download old versions as a standalone unless you do so via FTP.

The list goes on....I can't express enough the disappointment I have with a product that started off so great and has declined so much over the years.

Sorry for ranting, I'm just tired of failed products from Adobe.

JP

• 1. Re: What happened to Adobe?
          dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Good day,

I can assure you that we thoroughly quality test all of our products.  I  will admit that we do push updates to our software frequently, however  it is also done so with the best interest of our customers in mind.  If  you review http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83708.html you will find  security updates and feature enhancements thoughout.

Hopefully, we can get to the root of your issue together.  Could you answer a few questions for me to best assist you?

Have you updated Reader 10 to 10.0.1?

What version of Internet Explorer do you have installed?

What version of Firefox do you have installed?

What printer do you have networked?

Do you have problems printing all PDF files from Reader X?

Thank you,

David

Acrobat Community Manager

Adobe Systems

• 2. Re: What happened to Adobe?
            maximusdm Level 1

Hi David,

I wasn't actually expecting a reply because I only ranted.  But I'd be glad to answer your questions:

Have you updated Reader 10 to 10.0.1?  - Yes, with the same problems, no network printing had to drop back to 9.4.3

What version of Internet Explorer do you have installed? IE 8

What version of Firefox do you have installed? 4.0

What printer do you have networked? 

In this particular incident every network printer will not print the .pdf.  So here's the list:

Xerox WorkCentre Pro 255

HP Color LaserJet 2025n

HP LaserJet 2055dn

Do you have problems printing all PDF files from Reader X?

Currently, yes, regardless if I save them to the PC or view them over the web in IE (when it works).

This all happens on a windows 7 professional laptop/desktop.  I'm dealing with the director of the department so she uses her laptop/desktop interchangeably but I've seen all problems above exists on both the desktop and the laptop.

A few side notes:  as it currently stands, 9.4.3 for my purposes is the most stable right now.  Any upgrade beyond 9.4.3, I start having problems with printing and viewing.  Are there any major security concerns by staying with 9.4.3?

And thanks for your help.

Jim

• 3. Re: What happened to Adobe?
              dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Good day Jim,

It sounds like Reader X's Protected Mode might be the culprit here.  Please read http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html and try turning off Protected Mode using the instructions therein.

We have come across several instances where Adobe Reader, in an attempt to keep your system safe, has had difficulties accessing network printers due to the network's configuration.

Anyhow, please try the steps outlined in that document and let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

David

• 4. Re: What happened to Adobe?
                maximusdm Level 1

Hi David,

It appears 10.0.1 has fixed the network printing problems.  I tried both IE and Firefox, each time with Protected Mode On and then off and successfully printed each time.  The .pdf appears fine in each browser.  Since yesterday, I have deployed 10.0.1 on 5 PCs and have not had any problems printing to a network printer.

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim

• 5. Re: What happened to Adobe?
                  dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Hi Jim,

That's great to hear!

Take care,

David

• 6. Re: What happened to Adobe?
                    ivatt2

I have also used Adobe for many years, nice and simple, does what it says on the tin. At least it did. The main websites that I use for my work now generate the same message 'Acrobat does not allow connection to: www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com'. Bad enough, but when I was trying to search for a fix, I got the message 'Acrobat does not allow connection to: get.adobe.com' - the software cannot even access its own website!!

'Protected Mode at Startup' is disabled. Adobe Reader is shown as enabled in both IE and Firefox.

The machines is running IE8 and Firefox 4 on Windows 7 - is this yet another product that does not run or has unpredictable results in Windows 7?

Any ideas?