4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 12:44 PM by SolitonMan

Anyone know how to capture error messages?

SolitonMan Level 1

I'd like to capture the feedback I receive in the Output panel when testing something in the Flash IDE, and display it in a TextArea included in my movie when it is compiled and running in a live environment.  Is there any way I can make this happen?  Thanks if you can help me out.

• 1. Re: Anyone know how to capture error messages?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can capture runtime errors (using catch/try) but not compiler errors.

• 2. Re: Anyone know how to capture error messages?
            SolitonMan Level 1

So what kind of error am I dealing with when a movie clip I've loaded is trying to open an external file and that file doesn't exist?  In the Output panel I see a message like "Error Opening URL 'blah'".  Is that something that can be captured and displayed in a textarea?  And if so, is it possible to write a global error handler so that any errors that occur would be processed in the same way?  The reason being that I can't modify anything except for the clip I'm creating - the clips I'm loading can't be edited by me.

Thanks for any help! 

• 3. Re: Anyone know how to capture error messages?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

that's a runtime error (doesn't occur until your code executes) and can be captured.  but there's no global error handler.

the error is being generated by the swf that contains the problematic loader load() method.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Anyone know how to capture error messages?
                SolitonMan Level 1

So if I understand you, I'd have to modify the swf raising the error to have some sort of try...catch structure in order to trap the error and process it as I wish - is that correct?  If so then I'm basically hosed, because I can't modify the error producing swf, I can only modify the swf loading the error-producing swf.  And if Flash doesn't support a global error handling model, then I guess there's really nothing to be done. 

Well, thanks for looking at this, I guess I'll have to come up with some other method for dealing with my situation.