3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 1:58 PM by Dave LaRonde

More than one part of a layer

GeekyGamer

Possibly a noobish question but I am trying to make a kinectic animation and need to only use certain parts of a sound file layer, now I have already selected one bit i need (figure 1) so is there a way to have the silence and then i can also have the other part (fig 2) or am I going to have to have loads of layers with the same file and edit them accordingly. Thanks.

Untitled.png

• 1. Re: More than one part of a layer
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Short answer is: yeah, you'll have to use bunches of layers.

Longer answer is: don't use AE for your audio at all. Export a lossless file from AE and do the sound in your NLE or a sound editing program. I wouldn't use AE for your final compressed output anyway, so you might as well do your audio work in an application that's better for it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: More than one part of a layer
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Alternate suggestion if you MUST do your audio in AE, but don't want bunches of layers, use hold keyframes and keyframe the volume to a riduculously low level then back up.

• 3. Re: More than one part of a layer
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

....and to expand on Szalam's comments, AE is a God-awful application to use for editing. 

It's great for effects, motion graphics and compositing, but there are far better applications to use for editing.  AE will really waste your time and strain your patience as an editing app because it was built to do other tasks. 

If you have no other choice, that's one thing.  But if you DO have a choice, run away from AE for editing.